UVB light/ Basking placement question

So I have a question. I got the t5ho uvb setup and his basking lamp right in front of it. Now i feel like when he’s basking he’s not getting enough UVB just based off the way it looks.. anyway should I get one of those all in one bulbs for where he basks so he doesn’t have to choose between basking and UVB? Let me know your thoughts. Also would I need a 10.0 uvb strip instead of 5? Reptibreeze XL cage. I figured if I use a 5.0 strip and then an all in one bulb. Like the 80 watt sunglo. It would work out. Assuming his temp was correct. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Attachments

• 7BA3EC38-9708-48DB-8EE4-1E0BA6830626.jpeg
    7BA3EC38-9708-48DB-8EE4-1E0BA6830626.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 9284536B-5307-416C-B153-0B87E5311AB1.jpeg
    9284536B-5307-416C-B153-0B87E5311AB1.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 91
Do you know your uvi levels if not then can’t really give advise but I will say no to the all in one. That’s because you don’t know your uvi levels you should invest in a solar meter to check your levels

So, this is what I do - I place the UVB in front of the basking fixture, and angle the basking so that the basking and UVB line up. :) pending the temperature, you might want to avoid placing the fixtures directly on top of each other like I do - you could melt something, haha!

Do you know your uvi levels if not then can’t really give advise but I will say no to the all in one. That’s because you don’t know your uvi levels you should invest in a solar meter to check your levels
Let me borrow yours muahaha

So, this is what I do - I place the UVB in front of the basking fixture, and angle the basking so that the basking and UVB line up. :) pending the temperature, you might want to avoid placing the fixtures directly on top of each other like I do - you could melt something, haha!

View attachment 249535

haha I don't know about that! seems like a fire hazard :D

Probably not a fire hazard, but extra heat on the internal T5 ballast will shorten its lifespan.

To be fair, it's a relatively cheap ballast so I dont care too much. But I should probably find a less ghetto solution haha!

Edit: checked the temps on the ballast. Barely a 10F difference. I run an extremely dimmed incandescent, though!

Generally the all in one bulbs are way too high for a cham. They are meant for "large" lizards like tegus and iguanas or to light very large tanks. A T5HO should provide adequate for the top half of a 4ft tall cage easy. Even at 24" they will be putting out more than a T8 5.0 at 6".

Back
Top Bottom