uvb dilemma

Curlytails

Established Member
i am using a 12.0 uvb bulb as the pet store told me but his eyes are closed i have a 5.0 but i was told he would get mbd. what do i do?

Your chams eyes closed could’ve caused by several conditions please fill out the how to ask for help sticky so we can better assess your situation, otherwise a trip to the vet would be best

How big is your enclose and how heavy planted is it? Sounds like way too much IMO.I would suggest a 5.0
changed to a 5.0 and its covered very heavily with fake foliage. so much so that there is a floor of foliage and a place where he can hide out underneath. he is still down there and his eyes are closed but his pupils look less strained when he does open his eyes. im using calcium plus LoD now.

Your chameleon won't get mbd with a 5.0 and the right supplement schedule. I've never seen mbd with someone using a 5.0 and the correct supplementing. I have seen eye problems in chameleons with people using uvb stronger than 5.0.......

Even if 5.0 were to cause mbd it wouldn't happen over night. But using the 12.0 might be causing eye issues within the first few minutes of using it. So it's up to you: be scared of using a 5.0 which likely won't lead to mbd or keep using the 12.0 which is already causing problems for your chameleon.

Even if 5.0 were to cause mbd it wouldn't happen over night. But using the 12.0 might be causing eye issues within the first few minutes of using it. So it's up to you: be scared of using a 5.0 which likely won't lead to mbd or keep using the 12.0 which is already causing problems for your chameleon.
i changed it but his eyes are still closed will this improve?

i changed it but his eyes are still closed will this improve?
Like @Alexander1 said, there can be other reasons for him having his eyes closed. Chameleons in pain or that are sick will often do so, dehydration could also be a cause.

Fill out the how to ask for help form and start looking for a nearby vet.

i think i found the problem. he is growing extremely rapidly and is actually double shedding. he always seems to want to clean his eyes so i think there might be something in there. the pupil is dilated and isnt strained. i used some eye wash solution just now and he opened one of his eyes. correct me if im wrong please.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - male veiled chameleon not sure how old. had him for almost 4 months.
Handling - only when nessecary e.g. full cleaning/teardown.
Feeding - feeding locusts primarily and supplementing with superworms crickets and silkworms. gutload with a diy frozen mix of apple carrot potato spinach etc no grain and i use mulberry chow for silkworms.
Supplements - changed from a 3 part with exo terra d3 and vits and calcium to calcium plus LoD as i dont trust myself enough to control dosages also if my chameleon misses a feeding it will still get vital nutrients.
Watering - misting(bottle) 2 mins at a time 2 to 3 times a day. sometimes i see him drink.
Fecal Description - normal consistency. white urates usually but i have yellow urates now. slight dehydration
History - got him from a reputable store well known place www.crystalpalacereptiles.com

Cage Info:
Cage Type - screen 16 by 18 by 36 very temporary. upgrading within the next few weeks. a month at most to a wooden of special glass viv as temp and humidity fluctuates too much.
Lighting - Was using arcadia 12.0 now using arcadia 5.0 natural sunlight heat bulb.
Temperature - low 85f high 90f. ambient 76f night temp lowest 67f highest 73f
Humidity - misting heavily. use a cheap hydrometer.
Plants - plastic and silk only.
Placement - raised up with a table and in a corridor. not too much foot traffic
location - uk

Smells like a humidity problem. Some of us run lights that are 25-50x stronger than a 5.0, and they are just fine, since even that level is 1/2 of a cloudy day.
i just sprayed for a solid 5 mins and my whole 1l bottle ran out. water everywere:). i might have to but a different type of terrarium. screen isnt going too well.

thanks his eyes seem to be getting better. humidity is a massive problem i have with screen cages ill likely go with wood or glass next.

Sometimes misting is not good enough. The lizard needs to get in the rain for a day. Where most of them live it rains often enough. They can wash their eyes better in the rain than with a fine mist. If they can’t get outside give them a lengthy shower once a week. I’ve been doing this for years. The lizards love it. I will combine all my chameleons and a few REAL plants in the shower at the same time. Of course be very careful monitoring them and water temperature

Add some type of plastic over the sides of the enclosure. That will help big time. Start with 2 sides if that dont help go for 3. Keeping live plants always helps too. You can try getting a humidifier in that room by his enclosure too.. lots of solutions

the rain in the uk is about 40f never witnessed warm rain here. its a lil warm now but its not raining.

Back
Top Bottom