Uvb bulb

But do I need to leave the blue bulb that came with the kit or just that T5HO will be good?
The T5HO UVB bulb is just UVB lighting that prevents MBD. The 5.0 bulbs you replace every 6-9 months and the arcadia 6% bulbs you replace every 12 months unless you buy a solarmeter 6.5 that tells you what output your bulbs are still producing. With the T5HO fixture and either of the bulb strengths I mentioned above you would have the basking branch 8-9 inches below for the correct UVI level.

Yes you need a heat bulb as well. I would use a regular incandescent white household bulb. That blue bulb is a heat bulb. But you would pull out the coil bulb that is in the double dome because it is not adequate for uvb.

Lights are 12 hours on and 12 hours off total darkness.

I should add you’d be surprised how low a chameleon can withstand with nighttime drops it’s actually beneficial for them especially the montane species who need it as long as it does get below i believe it’s 60 I’d ask more experienced keepers but your cham should be fine if it’s getting extremely cold tho a ceramic heat emitter will provide it just make sure it doesn’t get too hot and a drop is good for them
The T5HO UVB bulb is just UVB lighting that prevents MBD. The 5.0 bulbs you replace every 6-9 months and the arcadia 6% bulbs you replace every 12 months unless you buy a solarmeter 6.5 that tells you what output your bulbs are still producing. With the T5HO fixture and either of the bulb strengths I mentioned above you would have the basking branch 8-9 inches below for the correct UVI level.

Yes you need a heat bulb as well. I would use a regular incandescent white household bulb. That blue bulb is a heat bulb. But you would pull out the coil bulb that is in the double dome because it is not adequate for uvb.

Lights are 12 hours on and 12 hours off total darkness.
itd also be a good idea to only use live plants especially for a veiled that has a tendency to bite their plants and that dome fixture isn’t totally useless you can add some white light led plant lights to it to help grow live plants in there too!

CBE5FC29-34E3-4E92-A757-D64C2D0AEB86.jpeg

The long skinny tube is the uvb bulb you need and the two other bulbs are plant lights in upgrading my fixture to get rid of those other bulbs but for you you could use that type of fixture ps my heat bulb is off rn that’s why you can’t see it I actually am getting the vivosun dual fixture off of Amazon which is a good fixture to get if you don’t have one yet and just had one slot with the uvb and the other with an led plant light and boom

You don’t need heat emitters at night so no heat bulbs or ceramic heat emitters at night. Most chams can do quite well with temps in the 50s at night. You do however need a heat bulb during the day so the Cham can bask and digest its food. That is important. Most people just use a 60 watt incandescent bulb if you can find one if not you can use a 60 watt halogen bulb.

You don’t need heat emitters at night so no heat bulbs or ceramic heat emitters at night. Most chams can do quite well with temps in the 50s at night. You do however need a heat bulb during the day so the Cham can bask and digest its food. That is important. Most people just use a 60 watt incandescent bulb if you can find one if not you can use a 60 watt halogen bulb.
60 watt halogen seems very high at least the halogens I’ve used usually get almost twice as hot as incandescents I’m not sure about all but the ones I’ve used always get twice as hot as incandescent so I use half the wattage I would use for a incandescence

I agree on the no heat emitter part tho I doubt your temps go to the low 30s at night for that to be necessary

60 watt halogen seems very high at least the halogens I’ve used usually get almost twice as hot as incandescents I’m not sure about all but the ones I’ve used always get twice as hot as incandescent so I use half the wattage I would use for a incandescence
I’m using a 60 watt halogen right now for my Jackson’s and it isn’t any hotter than the incandescent I used to use. I can’t get incandescent bulbs anymore where I live and they’re becoming more scarce across the country because the industry is going all in for LED bulbs now and they do not put out enough heat for basking. Halogen bulbs are also getting very scarce!

I’m using a 60 watt halogen right now for my Jackson’s and it isn’t any hotter than the incandescent I used to use. I can’t get incandescent bulbs anymore where I live and they’re becoming more scarce across the country because the industry is going all in for LED bulbs now and they do not put out enough heat for basking. Halogen bulbs are also getting very scarce!
That’s weird I use a 38 watt halogen that gets a basking temp of 82 when my 60 watt incandescents only got me to 77 for basking which wasn’t enough soon we will have to rely soley on reptile branded ones if this ends up happening with the bulbs getting rarer which probably means even higher prices with no where else to go for use reptile people kinda scary to think about

These are my favorite bulbs to use :love:
I use these for my crested geckos(ambient 65 degree temps so I need some heat) and they thrive in these I just keep them high love these for spreading heat and they are more accessible for me than incandescents!

That’s weird I use a 38 watt halogen that gets a basking temp of 82 when my 60 watt incandescents only got me to 77 for basking which wasn’t enough soon we will have to rely soley on reptile branded ones if this ends up happening with the bulbs getting rarer which probably means even higher prices with no where else to go for use reptile people kinda scary to think about
Other variables come into play. Distance, angle, ambient temperature, and type of bulb to mention a few.

IME, reptile branded basking bulbs are often/usually spot lights vs. flood lights. Spots (as their name implies) create hot spots, which can burn under some circumstances. Floods disperse their heat & light more evenly, allowing for gradients—which is better, IMO—less chance of a burn.

OT: As an aside, the demise of the incandescent bulb has also sounded the death knell of yet another cultural icon...
Hasbro announced it will retire the much-loved Easy – Bake Oven this year [2021] because federal law will essentially prohibit the toy’s heating element – a 100 watt incandescent bulb. The oven, introduced in 1963, cooked up tiny cakes and cookies thanks to the original bulb’s energy inefficiency.
https://theinfinitekitchen.com/faq/question-how-to-use-easy-bake-oven/

Back
Top Bottom