UVB 8.0 vs 5.0

Zen Reptiles

Avid Member
It's coming up time to change out some UVB lights.

I was wondering people's experience with 8.0, I know some people must use them instead of the 5.0....and unfortunately the search option won't include 8.0 OR UVB as keywords because they are too common or too short...lol

My reason for asking is in the European day gecko websites we look at, there is much reaction to the 'diminished' effect of 5.0....meaning they don't stay 5.0 for very long. 500 hours or so, and it is more effective to reach the desired levels of 5.0 UVB for a longer bulb life using an 8.0 bulb. And the discussion for day geckos is useful since chameleons live in much the same environments across Madagascar as Day Geckos.

This also adds a boost to UVB exposure which can be beneficial and is said to trigger breeding responses, and then diminish to desired 5.0 levels over a few months.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? The lights are outside the screen but resting directly on it, and this is for adult panther chameleons.

Some other things I'm looking into are the Activa 172 tubes and Phillips 965, strictly to cover the full light spectrum...any comments on this are appreciated as well.

Thanks!

I use 10.0 on my chameleons and on my lined day geckos! They are above screen and will soon be switching to high output 12.0 T5 lamps later in the year. In my opinion a high output uvb light is fine aslong as the chameleon can get away. I think it also brings out better colours (it certainly does with the day geckos). I think it is always a good idea to get a higher output when the bulb is above screen because a 5.0 above screen comes out at about a 2.0

Who makes an 8.0? Sounds interesting. I have always used reptisun 10.0 uvb bulbs. They seem to have a long life. Longer then the reptisun 5.0, but I dont have a meter so i cant be 100%. I was told by a zoomed rep that there bulbs are the strongest there first two weeks, then slowly lose strength up until month 6 and at month 6 and on, they die back hard. Also the 10.0 emits 5% uva, which i also find helpful if you use a regular house bulb for heat. Some sort of T5 plant lighting should fill in the rest of the spectrum.

I have used 8.0 tubes without issue.
I mostly use 5.0 bulbs, also without issue.

edit: neither passes through dense screen (my cage tops have wide spaced bars)

Last edited:
I use 10.0 on my chameleons and on my lined day geckos! They are above screen and will soon be switching to high output 12.0 T5 lamps later in the year. In my opinion a high output uvb light is fine aslong as the chameleon can get away. I think it also brings out better colours (it certainly does with the day geckos). I think it is always a good idea to get a higher output when the bulb is above screen because a 5.0 above screen comes out at about a 2.0

Do you think a 5.0 reduces to 2.0 through a screen even with a reflector?

yep

Do you think a 5.0 reduces to 2.0 through a screen even with a reflector?

5.0s lose alot when filtered through a screen once you have checked it out with a uv meter you will see why i have alway said to use a 10.0 when you have a screen cage. you get a lot more time out of a 10.0 when it degrades it turns in to a 5.0 so you get a little better bang for your buck.

Last edited:
5.0s lose alot when filtered through a screen once you have checked it out with a uv meter you will see why i have alway said to use a 10.0 when you have a screen cage. you get a lot more time out of a 10.0 when it degrades it turns in to a 5.0 so you get a little better bang for your buck.

Just when i think my shopping list is completed! there's always something that pops up, :D LOL

Back
Top Bottom