Uvb 10 or 5?

Dagreek

I have two 44 inch tall dragon strand large breeder cages. Should I go with the zoo med repti sun 5.0 or 10?

Much appreciated

your going to get a whole bunch of mixed responses.
Some will say 5.0 because thats what was the norm a while back as 10 was connected to eye issues. However that is no longer an issue with 10s.

Many people, including myself, run the 10 with great results. others still run the 5.0 with great results as well.

i feel for the larger cages the 10 makes sense. i have no reason to think this honestly, just seems logical.

If it is the breeder series cage with the white walls I would not recommend using a 10.0 unless you have a lot of cover to for him/her to be able to get some shade.

I vote 5.0 with a basking spot about 8" from the top.

Also should I use a single bulb or two? Although I've been having a problem finding a hood fixture that has a spot for two bulbs. All my cages are the large breeder series that have white walls with a screened front.

You only want to use one UVB bulb, however, if you want more light using one UVB bulb and one 6500K is a good way to go. The site sponsor Light Your Reptiles has some double bulb fixtures.

I actually use these fixtures for my chams -
http://www.aquatraders.com/24-inch-4x24W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Digi-Timer-Fixture-p/52323p.htm.

It comes with 6500k bulbs, so I just replace one of them with my UVB bulb and I am good to go. If you don't want to go to 4 bulbs like I have, they also sell 2 bulb configurations without the built in timer.

If you are looking into getting a whole new fixture, I would recommend nothing else but a HO T5 Double light fixture. I would use one 6% arcadia bulb and one 6.5k daylight bulb. That will provide you with the best full spectrum lighting for your chameleon.

I just read this thread / sticky on lighting. When he talks on 5% and 10 % is he talking about the reptisun 5.0 and the 10? He says to use a 10 at minimum. Also I currently use cfl 75 watts as a basking light does the 6500k heat up enough to be a source of basking light?

I'm not 100% sure if that is what they are talking about but I believe so. Reptisun are classified as 5.0 and 10.0 and Arcadia are 6% and 12%. If you went with Arcadia I would recommend a 6% bulb.

As for basking, you will still need to provide a basking light for him separate from the double fixture.

The best bulb you can buy lol. They last a year and imo put off the perfect amount of UVB when used in a double or quad fixture.

Yep a double fixture can hold two bulbs. One would be UVB (Arcadia) and one would be 6500k.

If you hit lighting in my signature you can see the fixture I'm referring to.

Perfect. I'll grab a few of those and use a standard 100 watt cfl for basking.

I was under the impression that CFL don't produce the heat needed for basking.

And yes, just 1 UVB bulb is all that's needed. The other bulb or bulbs is just for visual light or growing plants.

okay i was told to buy a 18" uvb repti 5.0 and 70watts cfl and a regular white bulb 60watts in a double dome, is that good? i just got my panther chameleon two days ago.

Back
Top Bottom