UV tube location.

ViolentJ

Does the tube have to be on the top? Can it be vertical up one side?

I've swapped my new Chameleons housing for a smaller flexarium and now the Reptisun tube is far too long but I wasn't able to source a smaller one today. In the meantime I've stood it up on end against one side. Will that be ok? It's the same side of the flex as the basking light is.

I'm curious about this too. When I switch my lighting I want to know how I should set up the heat light with the UV bulb.

the idea

The idea behind placing the heat light and UVB bulb on top or somewhat in that general area is due to the chameleon's natural instinct to climb and bask in the sun (or simulated sun) which is neccessary for its over all health. Then if the chameleon gets too hot it can self-regulate its temps by dropping to a lower level. Too much exposure to UVB can also be bad. So by keeping you lights in one area (ontop) you are able to give the chameleon opportunities to escape exposure to heat and UVB rays produced by the bulbs. Im sure some of the senior members can add to this. I may be totally wrong.

Provided its a strip (linear) type uv, it shouldnt matter...much. BUT...jukeboxpunk is right.
Your animal will still get uv with it verticle but the output wont be as even (across the length of the tube) as it would horizontally. :)

'meantime' is fine. :)

Provided its a strip (linear) type uv, it shouldnt matter...much. BUT...jukeboxpunk is right.
Your animal will still get uv with it verticle but the output wont be as even (across the length of the tube) as it would horizontally. :)

'meantime' is fine. :)

I read somewhere about having lights hung down the side of a cage could bother the chameleons eyes - glare or something. Do you think that makes sense?

I read somewhere about having lights hung down the side of a cage could bother the chameleons eyes - glare or something. Do you think that makes sense?

It makes a lot of sense.

I like to use the comparison to driving east down the highway in the AM as the sun is rising. It is not comfortale.;)

I drove home (chicago, il) from California taking the 'southern route' and when you get onto interstate 40 from Barstow it is a due east road...... with NOTHING to hide behind but a semi trailer going 60mph. OR....... drive with your sun shade down and a good set of sunglasses and only watch the lines on the road that are 10 feet in front of the car and hope there isn't anything on the road to try and avoid. :eek::D

Would you like to have that kind of blinding glare all day in your face?:confused:

Back
Top Bottom