UV questions!

Miss Lily

Chameleon Enthusiast
Just lately the weather has been so nice here in the UK that I have been putting Monty out in his outdoor cage so he can get some sun and UVs. There are a couple of things I am not sure of though, so if someone can help that would be brilliant!

Firstly, are chams able to absorb UV in the shade? What about a warmer but cloudy day - does UV get through the cloud cover?

Yep, Ive gotten UV readings in the shade that were 100-300!:) And on cloudy days/partly cloudy days ive still gotten readings from 50-200.
Solarmeters are such wonderful tools!:D

Yes they can get uv in the shade but not as much as if they are in direct sunlight. Also on certain days cloud cover could produce as much uv or more all depends how cloudy it is the clouds seem to disperse the uv on a broader band.

Thanks for the info! I remember hearing somewhere that UV can still be absorbed in the shade, but wasn't 100%. I am glad that is the case because it gets a little too hot for him in the sun at times, and if he can still get UV in the shade then it means he can stay out in the fresh air for longer!:D

Back
Top Bottom