UV lighting??

jaywolves90

Well my enclosure is about 26inch high and about 24 inches wide.

Could someone tell me which uvb tube light would be best to get. Should i get 5.0, 8.0 or 10.0. It will be situated outside the enclosure so it will be going through the mesh

Thanks

Most of us use the 5.0 since the others can cause burns to your Cham. That is what i'm using on my 24x24x48 cage and have had no problems. :)

Some people use the 10.0's and say they have no problems. There are never issues with the Reptisun 5.0 tube. Make sure you change out your bulb every 6-9 months as although the bulb may not burn out the uvb diminishes over time.

I use a 10.0 in my free range but the cham can only get around 2.5 feet close to the bulb so I went with a stronger bulb (plus it was $.99 off E-bay!)

I use a 5.0 in my enclosure as the basking area is about 8" from the bulbs. It all depends on how your going to set your enclosure up as to what will determine the strength of your bulbs.

Thanks for the info guys.

Another thing i want to know is about the heating basking spot, well ive got a reflector and fittings on top of the cage and due to it getting cold here at night i will be leaving the heat on, so i was wondering would a normal 50 or 75 watt red bulb be ok?

Thanks

But due to me leaving it on all the time it will disrupth the chams day/night cycle wont it?

This is why i thught a red bulb would be better as they dont see the red light.

Why are you leaving it on all time? You should have no lights at night! Complete darkness for sleeping. They need and like a cool down period at night. If you are looking for heat if your temps drop too low then get a little ceramic heater. I never heard they cannot see red, are you sure about that?

Why are you leaving it on all timg? You should have no lights at night! Complete darkness for sleeping. If you are looking for heat if your temps drop too low then get a little ceramic heater. I never heard they cannot see red, are you sure about that?

Thanks for the info guys.

Another thing i want to know is about the heating basking spot, well ive got a reflector and fittings on top of the cage and due to it getting cold here at night i will be leaving the heat on, so i was wondering would a normal 50 or 75 watt red bulb be ok?

Thanks

Where about are you? I live in the NE of UK, on top of a windy hill, in an old farmhouse with the worst insulation ever and even with the arctic temps weve been having here (-15c) the temps in my chams cage have never dropped below 12c overnight with all lights and heating turned off. If you are worried about night temps you could try putting a warm blanket over your cage which also helps keep the night cycle more realistic if you have to turn the lights on in the room where you keep your cham.

Because the temperatures drop low at night and i dont want to use a ceramic heater as i never know if they are working correctly or not. So i was planning on keeping the heat source on all the time with a slight drop at night, I have read on many sites and the pet shop said that a blue or red nighttime bulb can be used to maintain the heat through the night.

Im from the west midlands and at the minute the temperature in the room is 5 degrees, i thought this may be too cold.

Ive saw on the internet that they sell infrared bulbs for heat, it says it gives off minimul light and is perfect for providing 24 hour heat. I think i may get one of these, what do you think?

red light will keep them up you dont want that i know from experience, guess ceramic heater is the best option for night

I was told when I bought my first cham ( I now have 8) to get the 10.0 but to keep it about 10 " from the top of the enclosure. I have not had any problems, although I know most use 5.0... I was told by the breeder I purchased mine from that the 10.0 reaches farther into the enclosure so it really depends on where you are placing the light. I also leave my lights off for 11 hours, on for 13... they need dark to sleep. I have put a small heater in their bedroom to keep the temps from getting too cool at night:) Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom