Uv lighting

naich

Okay so i dont have a cham yet but i will soon so are these lights correct?

60watt heat bulb and a repti sun 5.0 for his baby cage.

Then for his 24.24.48 cage i was gonna use the repti sun 5.0 going along the back of the cage.
Then in the front corner i would put a power sun 100watt mvb.

Is that too much uvb? can there be too much uvb?

I use Zoomed Reptisun 5.0's (except on Reptariums then I use 10.0 due to the dark mesh) on all of my cages simply sitting on the top. All you need to do is make sure they have a vine or plant within 6-8" of the top of the cage. Then, I use a 60-100W household lightbulb in a clamp lamp also simply placed on top of the cage.
Easy.

set your cage up, turn on the lights, and after a few hours record your temps. Then you can make adjustments to higher or lower watt bulbs if need be. What kind of chameleon are you getting? Temperatures will need to be determined from that first off. And also make sure to note your temps at night time with the lights off. Depending on your house temp. you should be fine ( as long as it doesnt go below 65 degrees in your house at night) As an example my reptarium for my Melleri ranges from 76 - 81 degrees F during the day, and when at night when the lights are off it never falls below 70. I like to set up the thermometer in a neuteral spot in the tank, because it will obvisously be more hot near the basking spot and cooler in the other region of the tank. And as for to much UVB, as long as your not ever supplimenting with Vit.D3 you really do not have to worry about that.

Okay so i dont have a cham yet but i will soon so are these lights correct?

60watt heat bulb and a repti sun 5.0 for his baby cage.

Then for his 24.24.48 cage i was gonna use the repti sun 5.0 going along the back of the cage.
Then in the front corner i would put a power sun 100watt mvb.

Is that too much uvb? can there be too much uvb?

You can use the same lights on his baby cage as you would on his big boy cage. Don't mix a power sun with a linear tube. Powersun's create UVB as well as heat... two light in one. But the UVB isn't always in the same spot in the beam of light and can become quite intense in some areas of the beam. So unless you have a UV meter to use and tell you where the UVB focal point is, I would stick with the basics. Use the 5.0 and the 60w lamp. Like Juli said you need to put the basking spot up near the two lighting fixtures so your guy can get both UVB and heat at the same time.

soo i got what you all are saying but i meant to ask,

Can i just use the liner 5.0 tube and the powersun at the same time or is that a no no?:confused:

MVB bulbs are tricky in regards to chameleons. I wouldn't do it.
My primary issue is that they are extremely high heat bulbs. You need considerable distance between the cage and the MVB bulb. A chameleon cage should be as close to the ceiling as possible really.. so those two things don't really work together.

Plus they're completely un-necessary.
However for ground dwelling desert animals in deep cages, they're a great thing.

okay i have a bearded dragon so those mvb's were always talked about.

So ill just use the tube with the heat bulb...thanks and sorry for confusion.

Be sure that you ALWAYS wash your hands and never share equipment or feeders between the beardie and cham cage. Parasite transmission between the species can be nasty.

Back
Top Bottom