Uv light question

topmanollie

With the research i done, it says it’s good to get a 5.0/6 T5HO LINER UVB light for the chameleon. i’m planning on getting a juvenile veiled chameleon. how do i know how many watts i need? and where is a place to get them?

With the research i done, it says it’s good to get a 5.0/6 T5HO LINER UVB light for the chameleon. i’m planning on getting a juvenile veiled chameleon. how do i know how many watts i need? and where is a place to get them?
Easy answer: the wattage is not important, because the uvb bulbs you mention will produce the same levels of uvb radiation below the bulb regardless of wattage. A 24 watt will produce the same uvb levels over 24” as a 54 watt will produce over 48”. So, what you need is a uvb bulb that spans the entire width of your cage.

A larger enclosure.
Minimum recommended size for a Veiled is 24 inches wide, 24 inches long, an 48 inches high.
Then you'll get a 24 inch fixture with a 22 inch bulb.
+1. (y)

Getting a smaller one, and planning to get a larger one later is just a waste of money on the smaller enclosure, IMO. Also, good intentions often fall by the wayside, putting the improvement off month after month until problems develop because of a too small enclosure.

Get the 24" x 24" x 48" right off. ;)

The guy is running 2-3 threads. "everyone" had the baby cage vs big boy cage discussion in another thread.
Doesn't change anything; it's still the proper minimum size. :)

I can't even keep days of the week straight, and I'm supposed to keep track of who has how many threads going second thing in the morning (First thing is :coffee:) ?

I can't even keep days of the week straight, and I'm supposed to keep track of who has how many threads going second thing in the morning (First thing is :coffee:) ?

I cup feed, so i have upgraded to ferret cages with 1/2" spacing so the adult cham can climb all over. So i can get 36" cages now :)

i know it was the proper size, i meant i ordered right off the bat because everyone said it’s better for them when i asked advice. i’m doing a lot of research and asking for help for the chamie.

Yes the T5HO liniur UVB is the best UVB bulb out there just as long as in is the same length as your cage.

Back
Top Bottom