UV Bulbs

Haze1981

I am not sure if I am putting this in the right place. This is probably a very basic question but I was wondering exactly how many hours should a veiled chameleon have access to uvb light? I have been having it on for 12 hours but a friend has made me question myself by saying it only needs to be on for 4 hours a day. I just want to know what is right so my little fella is well looked after.

I don't really believe 12 hours a day is correct although that's what we recommended here. I free range and my guys only go under the UVB light when they want UVB and it's the same with the basking light. They only go under the basking light when they want to bask. When you stick a chameleon in a cage he has no where to go to get away from the lights except maybe the foliage. I wouldn't personally recommend only four hours but 8 would probably not be a problem at all, although you'd need plant lights or something to keep the cage light or he'd think it was time to go t bed. :D

I would have to second that answer. I believe that approximately 12 hours of light is a good idea, but not neccessarily UVB. I have lots of foliage for my boy to escape the rays when he needs to, and I do have the lights on for most of the day. Here is a look at my lighting schedule https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/decadancin/771-spring-lighting-schedule.html and the winter schedule https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/decadancin/754-winter-lighting-schedule.html.

I would say that at least 6 hours should be plenty, but only if you are using a good tube UVB bulb with a good reflector. For the majority of keepers using some form of 12 on 12 off schedule for UVB it is likely a good starting point for basic husbandry advice! ;)

I leave my lights on a timer 12 hours on and 12 hours off. We leave his cage open with a vine that goes to a window so he can go in and out whenever he wants. Also have a plant in the cage with plenty of space for him to get away from the UV rays if he wants. He usually goes to bask for about 10 minutes at a time. I see him do it a few times a day. The rest of the time he's climbing around :)

Back
Top Bottom