UV and Heat Lamp running time question

Skiddles

Hey everyone! I've been reading a lot on this forum the last few days since I recently just got my first Chameleon. I have two leopard geckos currently. My female I have had for 4 years the male I recently just bought he is an adult but, I am unsure of his age. I forgot to ask my local pet store. Next time I go in for crickets I need to find out.

However my question is should my UV light be on all day long? What about the heat lamp? I've gotten conflicting information some say leave the heat lamp on all day, some say the uv on all day others say turn them both off after 12 hours. I am so confused which is it? :confused:

You need to give the chameleons complete darkness to sleep in at night. You cannot leave the lights on all the time.
In the wild, they will be exposed to between 10 and 13 hour light cycles, depending on the location and the season.
So lights on a 12 hours on/12 hours off cycle is a good enough approximation for a captive chameleon.

In fact, it is even recommended that you keep your heat lights and your UV lights on separate timers, with the UV lights coming on before the heat lights, and switching off about 30mins-1hour after the heat lights.
Especially at the end of a day in a setting where they can't see natural light from outdoors, this gives the chameleon cues of the approaching darkness. When the heat lights turn off, they will begin to move towards their sleeping perch, but since the UV lights are still on they will still have enough light to see where they are going and can get to the most comfortable/secure sleeping spot before complete darkness.

On all my herps I have them running currently from 8am - 9pm, Just because I am following the sun. My iguana's are housed outside and their UVB/Fluorescent runs from 10am - 10pm, just because their enclosure doesn't recieve full sun for 12 hours.

-Josh

Thanks for the great responses guys. I'm going to setup my UV light to stay on for 11 hours and my heat lamp for 12 hours. This should give some time for him to find a good resting spot. It may take a few days for my new baby male to get aquainted to his new home and the light cycles. So far he likes to fall asleep on this plastic plant at the bottom of the cage I'll see if he starts sleeping in a diffrent location.

Hey guys i just got my chams yesterday and i turned off my heart lamp at nite but not the uvb light cuz i didnt kno they need compete darkness i kno stupid lol but i kbo now will they be ok intill lighys out tonite?

Brian

Hey guys i just got my chams yesterday and i turned off my heart lamp at nite but not the uvb light cuz i didnt kno they need compete darkness i kno stupid lol but i kbo now will they be ok intill lighys out tonite?

Brian

When the sun goes down, its still light out. Dont get fancy, lights on, basking on, lights out, basking out. Odds are they are at there sleeping branch and tucked in for bed long before the sun goes down.

Brian
Noticed you used 'chams & they' so I assume you have 2. Just want to make sure they are housed separately and so that they can't see each other. They can NOT be kept together.

Srry guys bout that nite time ? u kno wen ur temp has f for Fahrenheit.and c for clessus i got mine on Fahrenheit and wen i seen it last nite i seen the reflected of the c i was so worried but ots all good srry bout the mix up

Srry guys bout that nite time ? u kno wen ur temp has f for Fahrenheit.and c for clessus i got mine on Fahrenheit and wen i seen it last nite i seen the reflected of the c i was so worried but ots all good srry bout the mix up

WHAT?

It makes threads so much easier to read and people will be more willing to answer your questions if you use real words.

If you haven't done so yet, please read the basic husbandry articles under the forum's Resources tab. Lots of good info there. These are basic questions...you'll get the information you want without needing to wait for replies.

Back
Top Bottom