Using natural predator as a deterrent?

little leaf

Avid Member
I know how strange does that sound lol so here's my issue, the Mt. Meru breeding project has moved into the free-range room, but I have one chameleon who for the life of me I cannot figure out how it keeps getting on top of the UVB fixture. I thought maybe if I put a rubber snake on top of the the fixture the next time it goes up there and sees that maybe it will quit going up there - you only see the snake if he gets on the light fixture - it can't get hurt on top of the lights , it doesn't get that hot but I just do not want him up there and cannot figure out how he keeps getting up there :mad: but I do not want to lock him up because he is the male I am using for breeding at the moment. Nobody else gets up there just him on a regular basis and a female once got up there. The chords are wrapped and behind a false wall only a little bit of the cord goes along the ceilings, that has got to be how he's getting on there but I see no way for him to get a foothold on that cord? I learned that many of the wild caught when they would come in for rescue would hide in the cages, one so bad that it would not even come out to bask or eat- eventually I figured out it was the light cords that were scaring it - I'm sure it thought they were snakes -once I hid the cord the chameleon came out and started basking, eating and never had issues after that.
The only reason I have not already done this is he is quite secure (and cocky
;) lol) in this room with his harem .
I don't want him to think that this is now a dangerous place to be and spend the rest of his time in a panic looking to get away from this place- or anyone have any other ideas:confused:? I know eventually I will catch him in the act and fix the problem but for now I just don't know what else to do:mad::eek:

Hahaha, I really thought you were going to ask about synthetic coyote pee :D

Something sticky or unpleasant to touch around the cords maybe? Like gnat paper? You might try that before moving to the false predator route.

You may be able to put clear packing tape over the cords where you think he is getting a foothold. You don't really notice it and it's too slick to get ahold of. This worked for me when my panther kept climbing into the parrot cage. I put a foot of plexiglass around the bottom of the cage but he started shimmying up where the corners came together. Finally, I put packing tape over the corners and that stopped him.

Deb

Hahaha, I really thought you were going to ask about synthetic coyote pee :D

Something sticky or unpleasant to touch around the cords maybe? Like gnat paper? You might try that before moving to the false predator route.
Maybe I'llput a coyote up there :p he needs to find a new "perch" - I don't want to put anything that will stick to him, my luck he will step in it, then put his foot in his eye and stick his damn eye shut - lol
I thought about the tape too- I think that is the way to go, if I STILL find him up there again, he is going to get shipped to Lathis :ROFLMAO:- but all kidding aside, that is why I was not sure about doing it- he feels very safe in his home- so much so that he can kinda be a jerk ( to me, not the girls)- lol that's how he got his name - Richard ;) these guys, even being smaller , I can see are a bit more high strung that the jax X - he runs a much tighter ship it seems- he watches his girls more closely than my Jax X boys ever did- it's really neat watching and learning their social interaction -

Hahahahaha. I don't want anything to stick to him! And don't send him to me - I will just reinforce bad behaviors ;) Can you put a collar over the cords? Like one of those "anti-squirrel" domes?

It must really be fascinating to watch them in a somewhat more natural setup.

Back
Top Bottom