URI?

One thing I need to add for u cyberlocc,fixing an URI is one thing,but the most important thing u need to find is "what is causing the URI problem in the first place??"
Is ur cage near a window?air conditioning??any draft???any unnecessary water source inside ur cage needs to be removed???
Find the real problem that cause the URI ,so u can prevent to happen in the second time,these is my opinion just for u,solve it n u know u can do it!!!

Funny you typed that while I was typing lol, I think the URI (if that is the issue) has been present since I got him. He went through 38 degree temps on his way here for a night, with no heatpack. As he was in the hundreds earlier that day.

I doubt they would have any issues doing the culture, but I would be nervous about them potentially mishandling the little guy in the process of getting the sample. Could they or the other vet be willing to collaborate over phone? The antibiotic I've used most is Ceftazidime, so you could bring that up as perhaps another option. I'm not a vet, so I don't know that there would be any reason to use Baytril over Ceftazidime.

I'd agree with your current plan and see how he does.

That was what I planned, (and likely so do they, I would hope). They are good vets good people, Only had to go there once, when our dog found rat poison in our new house. They were great :) very helpful for us as we were spazzing.

We have a small dog, and she ate the whole box of the blue stuff, we forced her to throw up and took her straight there. They were very nice :), although they did say it was a 50/50 chance for our dog for treatment to work, Which was mean :( but understandable.

Was kinda peeved at the cost though :( 175 dollars to look at her for 5 mins and say you did right here is vit A capsules bye. (they were nicer than that but still :p, I am in the wrong business :))

Last edited:
So another Question, Do you guys that that the URI can cause los of eating? As that symptom has been present since the day I got him and the sleeping/closing eyes.

I just noticed the mouth string for the first time. And it wasnt much, it was 1 string (barely bigger than a hair) down from the top to the bottom, about midway on his mouth.

It's certainly possible if he isn't feeling well. Keep those temps bumped up and hopefully the heat will help him fight whatever is going on.

What do u mean "string"??saliva???
Ya saliva or mucus, I am not sure, I only seen him do that once. He opened his mouth a few times that day only 1 time was there saliva.

It looked sort of like this, but a smaller string, similar spot though.

increasedmucus.jpg

Funny you typed that while I was typing lol, I think the URI (if that is the issue) has been present since I got him. He went through 38 degree temps on his way here for a night, with no heatpack. As he was in the hundreds earlier that day.
This usually happen to the careless shipper,picture ur cham has to travel few hundred miles or thousands mile from point A to point B,they be on the airplane traveling over night states to states,then when they arrive to the carrier destination (Fedex,UPS)sits in the location,and then they off to their truck for another period of time n no guarantee that ur cham is their first drop off,so if the temperature is way lower or higher inside that delivery truck for a certain period time,thats when all the problem can develop,especially without a heat or cold pack to accommodate that correct temperature for that tiny poor cham sits in that little box.

Ya saliva or mucus, I am not sure, I only seen him do that once. He opened his mouth a few times that day only 1 time was there saliva.

It looked sort of like this, but a smaller string, similar spot though.

increasedmucus.jpg

That is the one of the symptoms for URI.

Yep that is why I think he has a URI, this and the not eating. So I think he has had a URI for awhile, also remember it may not have been only the cold. When I got him his urates were solid bright orange. You told me this was going to be tough since he got that dehydrated. I thought I was out of the woods I guess not :(.

As to the Fed ex thing, yep. It got put on the truck at 7 AM, (39 degrees outside) and then stayed in the truck all day delivered at 3:35pm (temp was around 60). Which is stupid as my usual fed Ex man was here at 9:45 dropping something else off, I asked him about the cham and he said priority is on a different truck.

However not really the sellers fault, it was a bad way all around, the temps in Phoenix and Cali (where it came through) were in the 100s that day. So they couldn't really add a heat pack.

the temps in Phoenix and Cali (where it came through) were in the 100s that day. So they couldn't really add a heat pack.
Alphakenc say,when a shipper wants to ship a beautiful cham to anybody house,they should always consider the weather conditions before shipping out that cham n this is my honest opinion.

Alphakenc say,when a shipper wants to ship a beautiful cham to anybody house,they should always consider the weather conditions before shipping out that cham n this is my honest opinion.

I agree, thing is thats how it is where I live year round. Its always cold her and always hot in phoenix. There will never be a way around that. It can get in the 80s here in the summer during the day, but night and mornings are still in the 40s. I live high in the mountains and to get to me it has to go through the desert lol.

Best that could be done is send through USPS, and hold for pickup. But then USPS is unreliable and fed ex and UPS do not have locations here to pickup or drop off too. Again the small town in the mountains blues. The population where I live is 15k.

We are a 15 mile strip of highway town with 100 miles of woods in all directions lol.

There is always a solution,alphakenc say,the shipper should send the chameleon to a nearest carrier hub from ur home,so the cham will be in the steady room temperature,and cyberlocc u can take a nice drive to that nearest carrier hub location ,and pick up that cham in ur temperature control cyberlocc mobile.

There is always a solution,alphakenc say,the shipper should send the chameleon to a nearest carrier hub from ur home,so the cham will be in the steady room temperature,and cyberlocc u can take a nice drive to that nearest carrier hub location ,and pick up that cham in ur temperature control cyberlocc mobile.

Lol the carrier hub is 5 hours away. In Phoenix, if I were to do that I would just buy one from somewhere in Phoenix.

Its literally all small towns here to phoenix. Everyone lives in the huge city. I use to live there, we got this place for sale to go back there so maybe 1 day :).

I guess they could maybe hand off to USPS?

Lol the carrier hub is 5 hours away. In Phoenix, if I were to do that I would just buy one from somewhere in Phoenix.
U are a monk in the mountain,but if I was the customer ,I will rather spend a full tank gas rather than receiving a cham like ur situation and god knows how much will be that vet bill?175.00 George Washington dollars bill...,,
Anyway,that is the consequences u have to deal with the cham's situation as u in right now,we can not bring back the past,what is ur next move??

U are a monk in the mountain,but if I was the customer ,I will rather spend a full tank gas rather than receiving a cham like ur situation and god knows how much will be that vet bill?175.00 George Washington dollars bill...,,
Anyway,that is the consequences u have to deal with the cham's situation as u in right now,we can not bring back the past,what is ur next move??

I said earlier, I am going to raise the temps (already did, whole damn house is 80 for him, I am going to be on the couch for it too lol). I am going to try to give reptaid when it gets here, and play it by ear for the vet.

And next time I buy a cham I am going to make sure the weather is cold everywhere or something and make sure I get a good shipper than gets the AM shipping.

I got some bugs from a member the other day and that was here in the AM like it should be so its something the cham shipper cheaped out on.

I feel ur pain,let this to be an unforgettable experience,we all live and learn,hopefully he doesnt have a URI ,I will send my prayer ur way.

Awww Cyberlocc I am so sorry to hear of your little one possibly being sick. I hope everything works out and all problems are solved with little issue. Healthy chameleons are what make us happy.

But, we are talking about a LOT MORE saliva than the cham usually has! All will show some saliva especially after eating or drinking. Some dehydrated chams will salivate heavily while actively drinking. One string isn't a problem...lots of strings in addition to other symptoms (not eating or drinking, not reactive to the world, crouching dark and quiet under a basking light most of the time, tipping its head straight up, expanding the throat and deep gulping over and over and over). Don't get hung up on minutae.

But, we are talking about a LOT MORE saliva than the cham usually has! All will show some saliva especially after eating or drinking. One string isn't a problem...lots of strings in addition to other symptoms (not eating or drinking, not reactive to the world, crouching dark and quiet under a basking light most of the time, tipping its head straight up, expanding the throat and deep gulping over and over and over). Don't get hung up on minutae.
And alphakenc said I agree.I will let cyberlocc know that.
@Carlton so what is ur opinion about cyberlocc cham??

Last edited:
But, we are talking about a LOT MORE saliva than the cham usually has! All will show some saliva especially after eating or drinking. Some dehydrated chams will salivate heavily while actively drinking. One string isn't a problem...lots of strings in addition to other symptoms (not eating or drinking, not reactive to the world, crouching dark and quiet under a basking light most of the time, tipping its head straight up, expanding the throat and deep gulping over and over and over). Don't get hung up on minutae.

So I missed all this till today.

So symptoms are he doesn't eat much since I got him, he will eat a little every few days, but not much and not everyday. He also at first would close his eyes alot while basking (he likely does it other times, but his cage is so full of plants I can hardly find him if he isn't basking, when I do he found me first lol), then with the symptoms below he was doing that again. With the eyes closed if I stand there for a minute he will open his eyes and look at me. So he isnt asleep he can sense my presence somehow.

He was tipping his head up and gulping for a few days 1 before I saw the saliva and 1 when I saw it. His mouth was shut the first day the second he kept opening it. The next day (The day I wrote this) he did neither, have not seen him do either since raising the temps either.

He also has not closed his eyes after raising the temps, he no longer trys to get on the top screen either (which he was doing before). Now he sits in his basking spots or the side screen, but no longer trys to get to the top.

The reptaid will be here today, so I am going to try and give him some. If nothing else it should help with the lack of appetite. I do not think eating 2-3 supers every 2 or 3 days is healthy, I have tried giving him many different foods, same ordeal he will eat a few every few days. He wont eat crickets at all, he ate a few dubia and a few beeltes, and a few Mealies, he wont eat dubia or beetles now will eat supers but only a couple small ones every couple of days.

Okay I spoke too soon. Just caught him sleeping while basking.

He was 100% sleeping, both eyes closed and his tail was curled up like it is when he sleeps. :(

Hopefully reptaid will help.

Alright so I gave the reptaid. I really hated doing it though :(. I followed the guides and switched it up a bit, so they said give 1-2 drop of reptaid for a baby, so what I did is made a diluted reptaid. I mixed .7ml of RO water, with 10 drops reptaid, that means every .1ml I give is a tad less than a drop.

So then I put my fingers behind his jaw and slightly put a tad bit of pressure. He opened right up. I squirted the liquid in slowly and he swallowed it up. I dont think he liked the taste as he kept opening his mouth after lol, and licking his lips (some did run down his mouth).

Then I took him outside for some sun for about 10-15 mins. I just let him crawl on my hands and get some sunlight which he seemed to enjoy, as he didn't want to get off my hand when it was time to put him back. He wanted to go back outside.

Back
Top Bottom