URI - things are NOT as they seem ~ Cal/ issue was the cause

little leaf

Avid Member
Olive has been gaping her mouth , nose in the air ~ so of course I think URI - :( but, she just did not act quite like any of the other ones I have had that had this - I also noticed that the new male Jackson I have only had 2 weeks was also doing this- but not as bad as Olive - Olive had just had babies 4 weeks ago- I only give the cal/ as sugested - 2 X a week, and the D3/ vit on everyother Sundays- I was talking to Laurie about the "odd" way she is showing her URI symptoms - she sugested it may be a lack of Cal/ issue- and sure enough- it was - YOU NAILED IT LAURIE :D they both have low cal/ - I took all 3 chams to the vet, ( that was fun :p ) this was on Thur- she is already doing much better, and the male had this before I got him, so he is also on track now - I just thought I'd share this , as a cal/ issue looks very much like a URI- but she was lacking the sticky spit, and not breathing deep or hard- but she got SO worked up at the vets he said her heart rate was so high from being mad, we put her away before she stroked on us- he will see her again in 2 weeks :) this is not to say not to take your cham to the vet - YOU STILL MUST GO TO THE VETS ! if it IS a URI- you can not wait on these things -
also, she is a MOOSE - 96 grams :eek::p

I'm very glad you posted this so other people can benefit.
I know that the conventional advice has been plain calcium 2-3 times per week or every other feeding but have often wondered if it is truly enough.

My understanding is that calcium is watersoluble and excess calcium is excreted far more easily than D3 and multivitamins, so it makes more sense to dust all calcium deficient feeders--which includes most types of feeders.

The lone exceptions, as far as I am aware, would be Phoenix worms and possibly snails.

If people don't share what has failed, as well as what works, then we can never advance our knowledge of chameleon care.

I have to agree with you--at 96 grams your jackson's girl is a real moose but a beautiful moose, I'm sure :D

Last edited:
yes, I have been dusting ( lightly ) pretty much all the roaches, and all the crix now - I do not dust her snails
I guess I understand w/ her having the babies, but him? but I do not think the guy I got the male from was all that up on cal/ dusting - but I will still only do the D3 as I have , and the vit
I know everyday we find out more and more on how to care for them- and this was a good lesson to learn :)

As plain calcium is water soluble I am not concerned with overdosing my Jackson with it. I dust all feeders that have a poor calcium to phosphorus ratio with plain calcium. I only limit D3 and multivitamins. I feel that it is more important to correct the calcium tho phosphorus ratio of the feeders than to worry about plain calcium that is water soluble.

I agree- I guess for some reason , it is that the Jackson gets less, is what I was taught - and Olive is an odd case anyway- lol she had gular edema when I got her from to much D3- and then when ever i gave her it seemed any cal/ at all, she got all puffy- but I was going to pm you to see what way you did it- lol this will take a bit to get her back up, she is so big, HUGE- lol she even out weighs the male, but she is not fat the vet said, just very big for a Jax - but I just want to get Olive and Oliver back to health- and make sure the little "pits" ( what we call all her babies- :p ) also get all they need - I am still learning - still....and know there is still much to learn :)

I agree- I guess for some reason , it is that the Jackson gets less, is what I was taught - and Olive is an odd case anyway- lol she had gular edema when I got her from to much D3- and then when ever i gave her it seemed any cal/ at all, she got all puffy- but I was going to pm you to see what way you did it- lol this will take a bit to get her back up, she is so big, HUGE- lol she even out weighs the male, but she is not fat the vet said, just very big for a Jax - but I just want to get Olive and Oliver back to health- and make sure the little "pits" ( what we call all her babies- :p ) also get all they need - I am still learning - still....and know there is still much to learn :)

We are all still learning. With these exotic pets there just isn't one answer for all. Its all about seeing what works and taking notes. I have spread sheets that I keep w everything that way if anything happens I can look back and try to figure out what could have been a cause. My spread sheet is per lizard and documents what they eat, supplements given, weight, when they shed etc.

We are all still learning. With these exotic pets there just isn't one answer for all. Its all about seeing what works and taking notes. I have spread sheets that I keep w everything that way if anything happens I can look back and try to figure out what could have been a cause. My spread sheet is per lizard and documents what they eat, supplements given, weight, when they shed etc.

LOL- I am glad I am not the only one who does that- I drive my husband nuts w/ my "notes" - but when breeding horses, you could never have enough notes on a brood mare- lol so I guess it rubbed off onto my cham keeping :p

I guess I will add that I do not give my quads calicum every feeding. A calicum issue, once corrected, is more about meeting the chams needs. I am Very Careful not to give too much calicum. As with all things chameleon, it is about each chameleon and what they need. Cheryl your chams came to you with calicum issues. Once you and the vet agree the calicum is where it needs to be, I personally would resume a normal calicum supplement schedule. I think too much calicum can be as bad as too little.

I must admit I was happy the vet agreed with what I said.:) I am also happy that the vet gave my campani a clean bill of health, and was impressed with her. I wish it would warm up here so you could ship her, and I could be impressed.:D:D

I guess I will add that I do not give my quads calicum every feeding. A calicum issue, once corrected, is more about meeting the chams needs. I am Very Careful not to give too much calicum. As with all things chameleon, it is about each chameleon and what they need. Cheryl your chams came to you with calicum issues. Once you and the vet agree the calicum is where it needs to be, I personally would resume a normal calicum supplement schedule. I think too much calicum can be as bad as too little.

I must admit I was happy the vet agreed with what I said.:) I am also happy that the vet gave my campani a clean bill of health, and was impressed with her. I wish it would warm up here so you could ship her, and I could be impressed.:D:D

yes, once I get them back to "normal" , I will cut back, they are just starting to look a little better - but it seems like it came on so fast for Olive -

and yes, she was the "bell of the ball" :p hmmmm.....maybe she had something to do w/ the vet visit lasting 2 1/2 hrs !! :p

I told you, if it does not warm up soon,,you will have to come HERE to see her, its worth the trip !! :D I can see why they call then JEWEL chams :)
hang in there - winter cant last forever ( or can it :mad: )

As long as you hold my campani hostage to the weather, you should be required to post daily pictures!!!!!!!!!!

Well, today I weighed all of the boys because the bearded dragon starts his panacur today. And my jacksons Rex has packed on some weight. He is now 90 grams. So my previous post with 77 grams stands corrected.

Oh and as for the calcium, he eats about every other day and averages a worm and 2 roaches each feeding so I use calcium on all roaches and it shouldn't be an issue as he doesn't eat everyday.

I must have had one of Olive's relatives, too.

My dear Karma, a male, was a big boy at 115 grams.
Mind you he was not overweight and he did not eat daily.
He was 15.5 cm snout to vent length.
He's the handsome fellow in my avatar

Back
Top Bottom