Urgent!

chameleonneeds

Avid Member
Hey all.

I have a friend who has a female Panther chameleon.

She is 5+months old and started dropping eggs!
She was not mated at all, she dropped 3 eggs they are small and infertile so thats my proof of not being mated.
She then started digging and stoped eating and has been doing this for 11+ days now.
He says that he can feel another 2 eggs in her body, she was getting very weak recently and we thought she was going to die but now she is perking up and starting to dig again.
Will she carry on digging and laying?

Our reptile vets are not reliable so it might not help taking her to the vet.

Is there anything we can do about it now?

Thanks for any response

egg bound?

Sounds like she may be egg bound and she is a bit young to have her first clutch whether it be infertile or fertile. If she is digging give her a day or so to see if she drops them. Fortify her diet with calcium and multivitamins too.
If not she will need medical attention. The vet will either do surgery to remove the eggs which will most likely leave her sterile or she will be given a shot of oxytocin to induce contractions.

If she can't move that egg(s) she will die.

Hope that helps.

Dave

What is she digging in?

Make sure your friend is providing her with a bin of moist dirt/sand to dig a tunnel and lay her eggs. You also may need to give her privacy. Pinning a towel or other barrier up in front of the cage usually works well.

You need to make sure she finishes laying her eggs so that she doesn't get egg-bound.

She has usualy been diggin in a cantainer in her cage.
But today she is in a proper egg laying chamber with moist dirt etc.
We will only know if she laid when he gets home tonight.

I'd suggest a privacy barrier if your friend already doesn't have one up then. It's possible she's being interrupted and isn't laying all her eggs.

Don't let her see you when she is digging...it will make her abandon the hole and it can lead to eggbinding if it happens too often.

Hopefully she will still lay the eggs...but watch for signs of her going down hill...you'll need to act quickly if she doesn't. Also, if she digs a hole and fills it in check to see if she did actually lay the eggs.

Hey im the friend whos panther is suffering. She dug a hole, laid 8 eggs and then dropped another like 4 hours later, she still has 1 egg left in her which i hope she will lay. She is on her way to recovery:D:D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom