urgent!

joshuadh2310

Established Member
i have meds to give to my chameleon from the vet and she said i can't take no for an answer she won't eat anything that im trying to put it on and will not open her mouth for me to inject it down her throat

You can try a bunch of methods, but it will be easier with someone else to help administer the meds while you are handling the chameleon. I have seen people suggest putting fingers over the nostrils and this will cause them to open up, and also a method where the chameleon is held in one hand and gently pullong down on the throat area with the thumb and index finger. Your helper will then administer the dosage to the back of the mouth area (careful not to do this by the front of the mouth).

i have meds to give to my chameleon from the vet and she said i can't take no for an answer she won't eat anything that im trying to put it on and will not open her mouth for me to inject it down her throat

Wow, things have changed . You were in the process of building a enclosure for your Chameleon. Why did things change for you health wise of your cham.
Your going to have to get those Meds in. Start reviewing all things to do with keeping Chameleon .
All the Best Buddy :)

Last edited:
Wow, things have changed . You were in the process of building a enclosure for your Chameleon. Why did things change for you health wise of your cham.
Your going to have to get those Meds in. Start reviewing all things to do with keeping Chameleon .
All the Best Buddy :)
well its nothing bad the vet found a protozoa i think is what she said in her poop she said its not terrible but its something we need to get rid of. other than that she is healthy. i just took her to get everything checked and im glad i did cause who knows what would have happened if i didn't.

okay so after some time i finally got her to open her mouth. i had to make her puff up and open her mouth and finally gently put the syringe down her throat and gave it to her and held her for about a minute to make sure she didnt spit it up. but man what a pain lol

one other thing. did she get this problem because of my care or is it just one of those things that happens?

A helpful tip that works every time...hold your cham gently around by the neck placing youre forefinger and thumb right behind the jaw hinge...makes them go into defensive mode and hold their mouth open.

Protozoa are parasites. Unless you introduced them to your cham from another reptile it is most likely that she came with them. The stress of a new situation may have reduced her immune response to them but that is a risk with a new cham for everyone. You got her to the vet and are giving her proper treatment. Now if you clean her enclosure to prevent reinfection while she's being treated you've done the responsible thing. I can't see this as poor husbandry issue.

Back
Top Bottom