*Urgent* Veiled Hatchling Chameleons eyes closed!!

samschams123

Hi, I really need your help. This is really scary. It's my first clutch of chams.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon -
Veiled Chameleon- Hatchlings- About 1 to 3 weeks old depending on which one it is.
Handling - As little as possible just to put them into their tank and take them out to clean 1 or twice.
Feeding -Fruit flies with calcium + D3 powder (exo terra)Usually eat around 4 pm. Some eat lots some not so interested. Seperating the ones that aren`t interested.
Supplements - Calcium + D3 everyday with fruit flies.
Watering - Have a Exo terra monsoon set to max cycles and 120 sec a cycle. So quite often
Fecal Description - Small and black. Thats it.
History - Parents- Gorgeous healthy male no signs of any health problems- Female- Now has gout I believe she was healthy when she laid eggs. Shedid not have a problem laying the eggs.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Glass- 24W x 18T x 18D.
Lighting - One exo terra 60 Watt daytime light on one side. 50 watt halogen on the other. UVB 10.0 center of the tank about 12 inches above. Night time is 1 exo terra 75 watt black light
Temperature - 85 at the top 78 at the bottom. Night time is usually 81 to 75 at the bottom.
Humidity - High humidity all the time. I have an exo terra monsoon with zoo med fogger set most of the day.I use distilled water.
Plants -All Plastic- paper towel on the bottom.
Placement - Tank is in its own room with other reptiles (OUT OF SIGHT) FROM OTHER REPTILES) about 4 feet off the ground.
Location - British Columbia, Canada

Current Problem - When babies started hatching 3 weeks ago everything was great. Everyone has made it so far. Some of them have been sleeping during the day though. I was a little concerned. A few days ago I noticed that one had it's eyes closed and was walking around the tank. It was thinner and very pale immediately quarantined him. Now couple days later almost half of them are either sleeping during the day or walking around with their eyes closed. This is really concerning to me. They will not open their eyes to see.

Any information would help. I really need a few good quick reply's I am freaking out.

Thank you so much,

Sam

Welcome to the forums. I'm am sorry to hear about your babies. My guess would be the lighting. Their eyes are very sensitive to lights. I use an older Reptisun 5.0 that's not putting out allot of UV (around 12) and I have it hanging up off the baby bins. See picture in the link below. I also think they are a bit to warm. I keep babies around 80 to 82 basking, at the top in the daytime and around 70 everywhere at night. https://www.chameleonforums.com/babies-one-month-old-40584/

Let me start out by saying I have not raised Veiled, but the first thing I see is you don't need a light at night. Chameleons are very sensitive to light and they may not be sleeping at night. Possibly they are sleep deprived. I don't know about halogen lights, but I'm wondering if they may be too intense. Second, Chameleons don't need D3 vitamin but once a month. Try getting vitamins without D3 for every day. I use Repashy Supercal noD. I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom