URGENT Random Giant panther egg!!!

reptileman

Avid Member
Ok I have a female sambava that has been gravid for about 3 weeks and she is just now getting to get huge and ready to lay, I went in to clean the cage and found 1 giant egg sitting on the top of the laying bin, its about 3 times the size of any panther cham egg I haved seen before, Here is a picture relative to my finger. Also does anyone know what this means if my female just randomly layed 1 egg without even digging? she seems completely healthy and has not acted out of the norm.

Attachments

• random egg 001.jpg
    random egg 001.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 319
I thought about that but what I am most worried about is why she only layed 1 egg and hasnt even tried digging

ok well that seems to make sense does anyone think that I need to get my female checked out or should I wait and see if she starts to dig to lay the rest?

manny reptiles have been known to drop an egg here or there when they are gravid as a test thing, is this her first time being gravid?

Incubate it, she might have laid you a golden egg. LOL I have seen females drop eggs, but not just one, she might have too many eggs and it popped out. Or she could have sneezed and one came out. LOL

Incubate it, she might have laid you a golden egg. LOL I have seen females drop eggs, but not just one, she might have too many eggs and it popped out. Or she could have sneezed and one came out. LOL

LMAO....

granted ours actually did dig and do that whole thing, but one of our girls laid only 4 eggs the first time she laid.... then she didn't even look gravid anymore...but i had a sand bin in with her and came home one day (a month or more later) and she had laid 19 with a retained clutch. maybe that's the only one that fully developed at the moment and you'll have more in a retained clutch? our girl acted fine and everything afterwards, too.... she didn't "drop" it, but who knows...maybe that will be the case....

If she is still eating, drinking, behaving normally- I would just take a 'wait and see' approach. I'd like to hear from some of the big breeders here on the subject, but it is not terribly uncommon for first time breeders to lay a few premature eggs prior to the big one.
Keep us posted on her condition.
Dr Ren (Vet)

One of my favorite books as a child was The Enormous Egg...it was about a chicken that laid a really big egg (duh!) which turned out to be a Triceratops egg.

I guess it's too much to hope we've got something like that going on.....

Back
Top Bottom