URGENT, Possible xtreme prolapse

i don't know if sugar water solution would work on this or not.
You do have to keep it moist though. I'm not sure whe will survive that long. Did you tell them it's n emergency?
Yes, please tell me how to do the sugar water thing. I'm desperate

Saturate sugar with cool water and apply it to the tissue that's sticking out. It can help decrease any swelling...but it might not be enough that it will go back in on its own. I don't recommend you trying to reinsert it on your own even if the works because you will likely cause a perforation.

Also your chameleon is going to be in a lot of pain with it like it is and also not be able to defecate. This really is a medical emergency.

I called every single vet around me, all are booked till monday. What should I do to help? This is really bad :(
You call them back and tell them it is urgent... You will get charged more but they see the animal. Without treatment she dies. It is therefor considered an urgent appointment. Make sure they deal with reptiles. A regular vet will not have the skill set your cham needs.

You call them back and tell them it is urgent... You will get charged more but they see the animal. Without treatment she dies. It is therefor considered an urgent appointment. Make sure they deal with reptiles. A regular vet will not have the skill set your cham needs.
I'm not joking when I say I called everyone and they are all booked atleast 2 days from now. They dont seem to care that I told them its very urgent.

I'm not joking when I say I called everyone and they are all booked atleast 2 days from now. They dont seem to care that I told them its very urgent.
If you don't call and ask for an emergency appointment/ tell them your coming in now for a prolapse then they are going to push you off to schedule one for later. Most receptionists do not understand. And if your calling a vet that does not deal with reptiles then they will not be able to help you at all.

If you don't call and ask for an emergency appointment/ tell them your coming in now for a prolapse then they are going to push you off to schedule one for later. Most receptionists do not understand. And if your calling a vet that does not deal with reptiles then they will not be able to help you at all.
I did call the emergency line for all of them, I told them about the prolapse and they just gave me other exotic vet numbers. Not much I can do besides at home stuff for today, I will try again tomorrow morning and pray to god she makes it

I did call the emergency line for all of them, I told them about the prolapse and they just gave me other exotic vet numbers. Not much I can do besides at home stuff for today, I will try again tomorrow morning and pray to god she makes it
what does she herself actually look like now? Have you put her in a plastic tote so she is not scraping the prolapse on plants and vines?

what does she herself actually look like now? Have you put her in a plastic tote so she is not scraping the prolapse on plants and vines?
I tried, I removed everything that is sharp. I dont have a tank to put her in right now
Every other tank I had I used for aquariums now, so I cant take them down for her.
However, I've been trying to keep it really moist and keep her as comfortable as possible. :(

I tried, I removed everything that is sharp. I dont have a tank to put her in right now
Every other tank I had I used for aquariums now, so I cant take them down for her.
However, I've been trying to keep it really moist and keep her as comfortable as possible. :(
Even a plastic tote like that you buy for storage would be good and much safer then leaving her in the enclosure where she is dragging it on things :(
Something like this... We call it a hospital bin. But for her you would not want things that she is able to climb all over... Maybe just a branch or two lower to the bottom.
Bin.JPG

Even a plastic tote like that you buy for storage would be good and much safer then leaving her in the enclosure where she is dragging it on things :(
Something like this... We call it a hospital bin. But for her you would not want things that she is able to climb all over... Maybe just a branch or two lower to the bottom.
View attachment 281864
I'll get one of those setup right away. Thank you so much guys, hoping and praying my little girl will make it :(
If she passes away I will have learned from this experience, in the end it was my fault for over feeding. I didnt even think what I was doing was wrong, and it ended up giving her to big of a clutch. Hopefully a vet has a spot open for her tomorrow.

I'll get one of those setup right away. Thank you so much guys, hoping and praying my little girl will make it :(
If she passes away I will have learned from this experience, in the end it was my fault for over feeding. I didnt even think what I was doing was wrong, and it ended up giving her to big of a clutch. Hopefully a vet has a spot open for her tomorrow.
When you call do not give them the option to say no. You tell them you have a Veiled chameleon with a prolapse and your bringing her in now. This way they understand the urgency. But I can not express enough the importance of taking her to a vet that actually treats reptiles.

First, don’t take this all on yourself. I don’t know where you got your girl from, but genetics can play a huge role. The important part is that you and your girl are in crisis right now, and you do what you can to mitigate that. There’s plenty of time for improving your husbandry, as is the case with all of us.

Hey just an update, When I checked on her this morning I noticed she was trying to poop. So, I had my bother come over (no vets were open today either, however this was an emergency) we very gently pushed it back into her. It took about an hour and she seems fine now. Will be keeping a very close eye on it, however she would have died by the prolapse burting. I will be taking her to the vet as soon as possible, hoping we saved her. :D

Again, please dont knock me for this, it was life or death for her. if she had kept pushing she would be dead right now.

Hey just an update, When I checked on her this morning I noticed she was trying to poop. So, I had my bother come over (no vets were open today either, however this was an emergency) we very gently pushed it back into her. It took about an hour and she seems fine now. Will be keeping a very close eye on it, however she would have died by the prolapse burting. I will be taking her to the vet as soon as possible, hoping we saved her. :D

Again, please dont knock me for this, it was life or death for her. if she had kept pushing she would be dead right now.
Please keep in mind this is a temporary fix. She will prolapse again more then likely. Risk of infection is very high.
I do not know where you live that there were not vets open but I hope you know that she needs a Vet.

Good luck.

Please keep in mind this is a temporary fix. She will prolapse again more then likely. Risk of infection is very high.
I do not know where you live that there were not vets open but I hope you know that she needs a Vet.

Good luck.
At the very latest I will be taking her in on monday. What should I do until then to bring down the risk of infection? While we were folding her prolapse back in we were keeping it wet and washing it off with distiled water to bring down the risk. Our hands were both washing right before we started too. She is currently in her regular cage again, should I just put her back into the temp cage I setup with barely anything in it? Thanks, Jacob.

At the very latest I will be taking her in on monday. What should I do until then to bring down the risk of infection? While we were folding her prolapse back in we were keeping it wet and washing it off with distiled water to bring down the risk. Our hands were both washing right before we started too. She is currently in her regular cage again, should I just put her back into the temp cage I setup with barely anything in it? Thanks, Jacob.
I honestly do not know... Your dealing with something that I would not have risked doing on my own. That was a very extreme prolapse. Try going to this link https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-academy-podcast/
In the search function of the player your going to type in prolapse. Episode 105 will come up about it. See if it gives you any info on a female that prolapses and what to do for it.

I know typically this involves placing stitches in exactly the right spot so that the prolapse does not happen again but so that it does not interfere with passing stools etc.

If that was my chameleon, I’d just show up as an emergency.

To be honest. I’m surprised she’s still making it. Female prolapse is very dangerous. Any recent pictures? Are her eyes sinking in?
Her eyes and barely sunken, and she is very green. Keep in mind, I am going on monday at the very latest. I can try to just show up tomorrow though. Thanks guys :D

Back
Top Bottom