URGENT (Newcomer)

Dovah Chikin

Hello everyone. I have received a chameleon from an acquaintance yesterday that was moving and could not have pets. I love animals and figured I would help her out. I have had dogs, fish, guinea pigs, and axolotls, but never a chameleon or reptile. I have read a lot of info since last night but am very concerned with taking care of her. The chameleon in question is a few months old and a female veiled chameleon. I have set her cage up as high as I could and have both a dripper and water thing for her to drink from. I also set up a mister to mist every 2 hours for 30 seconds. Every once in a while I spray the leaves in the cage but I was told by her previous owner that she doesn't like to be sprayed directly. I feed her small - medium sized crickets covered in Repti-calcium without D3 the first half of the day by putting them in a class cup and then in her cage. I have three lights but only two are on. One is blue and the other one I believe is a UVB light. I also have a thermometer. I also have a heat lamp that is not set up. I am wondering what I am doing wrong. I have recently Moved the light higher up. Any help would be appreciated. Please be kind she came like this and I feel that something is wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_5751.jpg
    IMG_5751.jpg
    538.1 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_5754.jpg
    IMG_5754.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_5753.jpg
    IMG_5753.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_5752.jpg
    IMG_5752.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_5750.jpg
    IMG_5750.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 139
Lets see here...

Ditch ALL THE LIGHTS...

They are worthless. You want a linear tube UVB florescent that goes across the cage top. This can either be the preferred T5HO 6%/5.0, or you can recycle a common T8 and buy a 12%/10.0. Females do not need a heat lamp. You want to grow them low and slow, so they dont end up with eggs at 5-6 months.

Other than that i would also buy a D3 suppliment that you would powder one feeding of crickets with every other week, and a reptile vitamin that you would also powder one feedings of crickets every other week. So you could alternate this "special" cup of crickets every week.

Lets see here...

Ditch ALL THE LIGHTS...

They are worthless. You want a linear tube UVB florescent that goes across the cage top. This can either be the preferred T5HO 6%/5.0, or you can recycle a common T8 and buy a 12%/10.0. Females do not need a heat lamp. You want to grow them low and slow, so they dont end up with eggs at 5-6 months.

Other than that i would also buy a D3 suppliment that you would powder one feeding of crickets with every other week, and a reptile vitamin that you would also powder one feedings of crickets every other week. So you could alternate this "special" cup of crickets every week.
Thanks for the reply. When I get the new lights should I still put them 9 inches from the top of the cage?

Thanks for the reply. When I get the new lights should I still put them 9 inches from the top of the cage?
with a t5ho bulb it should be about 9 inches above the basking spot, not the cage. Also her cage is looking a bit bare, she needs more plants and sticks, and they need to be live plants. Fake plants arent really good especially for veileds because they sometimes eat their plants. But first sort out the lights and supplements because those are more important. You're in the right place her colors are looking very dark she's stressed but with proper husbandry you'll fix it. She'll be fine :)

Also please fill out this husbandry form as it covers all aspects of care so we can help you even more.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hello everyone. I have received a chameleon from an acquaintance yesterday that was moving and could not have pets. I love animals and figured I would help her out. I have had dogs, fish, guinea pigs, and axolotls, but never a chameleon or reptile. I have read a lot of info since last night but am very concerned with taking care of her. The chameleon in question is a few months old and a female veiled chameleon. I have set her cage up as high as I could and have both a dripper and water thing for her to drink from. I also set up a mister to mist every 2 hours for 30 seconds. Every once in a while I spray the leaves in the cage but I was told by her previous owner that she doesn't like to be sprayed directly. I feed her small - medium sized crickets covered in Repti-calcium without D3 the first half of the day by putting them in a class cup and then in her cage. I have three lights but only two are on. One is blue and the other one I believe is a UVB light. I also have a thermometer. I also have a heat lamp that is not set up. I am wondering what I am doing wrong. I have recently Moved the light higher up. Any help would be appreciated. Please be kind she came like this and I feel that something is wrong.
Welcome...
Start reading through the husbandry program at this link. It will literally tell you in depth far more then we can https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
and here is the care specific for Veileds https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

with a t5ho bulb it should be about 9 inches above the basking spot, not the cage. Also her cage is looking a bit bare, she needs more plants and sticks, and they need to be live plants. Fake plants arent really good especially for veileds because they sometimes eat their plants. But first sort out the lights and supplements because those are more important. You're in the right place her colors are looking very dark she's stressed but with proper husbandry you'll fix it. She'll be fine :)

Also please fill out this husbandry form as it covers all aspects of care so we can help you even more.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Female, 3-4 Months. 1 week.
  • Handling - Haven’t yet I’m letting her get situated so we can build trust.
  • Feeding - Crickets and Superworms, gutloaded and dusted with calcium. I usually give her 4-5 crickets and 2-3 superworms per day because she is still growing. Her lights come on at 9 AM so I feed her around 11 AM or 12 PM.
  • Supplements - ZooMed Repti Calcium without D3. ReptoCal calcium with D3. Feed her between 11 AM and 12 PM.
  • Watering - I use a ReptiRain and a hygrometer. It depends, during the day I slowed it down to every three hours for 30 seconds.But at night every hour for 30 seconds. Yea I see her drinking from the little dripper I have set up for her.
  • Fecal Description - Brown with a bit of white. Not sure.
  • History - Nope.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Her cage is a mesh screen. The dimensions are 16 x 16 x 36.
  • Lighting - ZooMed ReptiSun T8 18” 10.0 UVB. What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using?9 AM - 9 PM on. 9PM - 9 AM off.
  • Temperature - 75-72 degrees fahrenheit. I am not sure of the lowest overnight temp. I have a ZooMed Digital thermometer.
  • Humidity - During the day it’s around 60-80. By misting and keeping live plants. A hygrometer.
  • Plants - Yes. I currently have a dracaena and hibiscus. And might add a jade plant.
  • Placement - In my basement. Not near fans, air vents, and there is not a lot of traffic. 65” from the floor.
  • Location - Lexington, KY
Current Problem - She is still rather dark in color.

Chameleon Info:
  • Feeding - Crickets and Superworms, gutloaded and dusted with calcium. I usually give her 4-5 crickets and 2-3 superworms per day because she is still growing. Her lights come on at 9 AM so I feed her around 11 AM or 12 PM.
  • Supplements - ZooMed Repti Calcium without D3. ReptoCal calcium with D3. Feed her between 11 AM and 12 PM.
  • Watering - I use a ReptiRain and a hygrometer. It depends, during the day I slowed it down to every three hours for 30 seconds.But at night every hour for 30 seconds. Yea I see her drinking from the little dripper I have set up for her.
  • History - Nope.
Cage Info:
  • Lighting - ZooMed ReptiSun T8 18” 10.0 UVB. What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using?9 AM - 9 PM on. 9PM - 9 AM off.
  • Temperature - 75-72 degrees fahrenheit. I am not sure of the lowest overnight temp. I have a ZooMed Digital thermometer.
  • Humidity - During the day it’s around 60-80. By misting and keeping live plants. A hygrometer.
  • Plants - Yes. I currently have a dracaena and hibiscus. And might add a jade plant.
  • Placement - In my basement. Not near fans, air vents, and there is not a lot of traffic. 65” from the floor.

my feedback is in red

• Feeding - Crickets and Superworms, gutloaded and dusted with calcium. I usually give her 4-5 crickets and 2-3 superworms per day because she is still growing. Her lights come on at 9 AM so I feed her around 11 AM or 12 PM. Only feed superworms as a treat like once a week maybe. Crickets are fine but you might want to expand the diet. at that age like 10-15 insects a day.
  • Supplements - ZooMed Repti Calcium without D3. ReptoCal calcium with D3. Feed her between 11 AM and 12 PM. Ok so when do you dust the repti calcium and the ReptoCal? You also need a multivitamin. Or you can buy zoo med reptivite multivitamin with d3. If you buy the reptivite with d3 you dust the repti calcium without d3 every day EXCEPT the 1st and 15th of every month you use the reptivite.
  • Watering - I use a ReptiRain and a hygrometer. It depends, during the day I slowed it down to every three hours for 30 seconds.But at night every hour for 30 seconds. Yea I see her drinking from the little dripper I have set up for her. Thats a bit much water. I mist my female veileds enclosure like 2-3 times a day for a minute each and its fine. The humidity should be around 30-50%. Change the settings on the mister
  • History - Nope.
Cage Info:
  • Lighting - ZooMed ReptiSun T8 18” 10.0 UVB. What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using?9 AM - 9 PM on. 9PM - 9 AM off. A t8 is a lot of uvb.You'll probably want a 24" t5 5.0 6% fixture. reptisun or arcadia.
  • Temperature - 75-72 degrees fahrenheit. I am not sure of the lowest overnight temp. I have a ZooMed Digital thermometer. Is that the basking? So IMO the basking should be high 70's to low 80's. The ambient should be low 70's.
  • Humidity - During the day it’s around 60-80. By misting and keeping live plants. A hygrometer. Again, you'll want to lower that to around 30-50%. Change the setting on the reptirain.

Pics of the enclosure would help as well :)

I have the same cage and fixture but added Arcadia T-5 lamp for UVB. Our cages are only 18 wide and adult veiled will need 24 inch one. I just put 60 watt incandescent bulb in that fixture for my male veil. I think it likes the heat and basking. The lighting on Reptibreeze set ups are junk.

Ha, all our stuff for decoration and the thermometer have suction cups. That is really going to work with a screen cage. My mister has suction cup. LOL

I have the same cage and fixture but added Arcadia T-5 lamp for UVB. Our cages are only 18 wide and adult veiled will need 24 inch one. I just put 60 watt incandescent bulb in that fixture for my male veil. I think it likes the heat and basking. The lighting on Reptibreeze set ups are junk.
Oh ok thanks. So I need to get a bigger cage then. Do you recommend any brands? And how far away should the basking light be I have heard 9 inches.

Adult female veileds can be in 18x18x36's. Your cage is fine if it's a 18x18x36.

On the other hand, If you had a male you would need a 2x2x4

If you put basking branch near the top and angle it, the cham will pick how near it goes to the bulb. Some here may know exact distance. My cham walks upside down on roof of cage and gets next to bulbs.

Ha, all our stuff for decoration and the thermometer have suction cups. That is really going to work with a screen cage. My mister has suction cup. LOL
Ikr lol so I have updated the setup and got rid of the suction cups. This is currently what I am working with. I just need to raise the bulbs and it'll be good.

Attachments

• IMG_5842.jpg
    IMG_5842.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 141
my feedback is in red

• Feeding - Crickets and Superworms, gutloaded and dusted with calcium. I usually give her 4-5 crickets and 2-3 superworms per day because she is still growing. Her lights come on at 9 AM so I feed her around 11 AM or 12 PM. Only feed superworms as a treat like once a week maybe. Crickets are fine but you might want to expand the diet. at that age like 10-15 insects a day.
  • Supplements - ZooMed Repti Calcium without D3. ReptoCal calcium with D3. Feed her between 11 AM and 12 PM. Ok so when do you dust the repti calcium and the ReptoCal? You also need a multivitamin. Or you can buy zoo med reptivite multivitamin with d3. If you buy the reptivite with d3 you dust the repti calcium without d3 every day EXCEPT the 1st and 15th of every month you use the reptivite.
  • Watering - I use a ReptiRain and a hygrometer. It depends, during the day I slowed it down to every three hours for 30 seconds.But at night every hour for 30 seconds. Yea I see her drinking from the little dripper I have set up for her. Thats a bit much water. I mist my female veileds enclosure like 2-3 times a day for a minute each and its fine. The humidity should be around 30-50%. Change the settings on the mister
  • History - Nope.
Cage Info:
  • Lighting - ZooMed ReptiSun T8 18” 10.0 UVB. What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using?9 AM - 9 PM on. 9PM - 9 AM off. A t8 is a lot of uvb.You'll probably want a 24" t5 5.0 6% fixture. reptisun or arcadia.
  • Temperature - 75-72 degrees fahrenheit. I am not sure of the lowest overnight temp. I have a ZooMed Digital thermometer. Is that the basking? So IMO the basking should be high 70's to low 80's. The ambient should be low 70's.
  • Humidity - During the day it’s around 60-80. By misting and keeping live plants. A hygrometer. Again, you'll want to lower that to around 30-50%. Change the setting on the reptirain.

Pics of the enclosure would help as well :)
Thanks so much for responding! I very much appreciate it. Here is a picture of it right now.

Attachments

• IMG_5842.jpg
    IMG_5842.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 92
Thanks so much for responding! I very much appreciate it. Here is a picture of it right now.
Hi so your enclosure looks pretty good but there is one important thing that's missing. idk if you can see but there is very little foliage at the top of her cage. You might want to buy a large pothos that is almost the whole height of the cage. Your cage is 36" tall? if yes then go for something around 30" tall.

Back
Top Bottom