URGENT! MY CHAM ATE A SUCCULENT

Stripes

Oh dear so I'm a new veiled cham owner. I was working on my computer and then realized he wasn't on my shoulder anymore (his favorite place). I looked around and saw that he was only a few feet away on my windowsill. As I went to pick him up, he bit off an entire leaf off of one of my succulents. I don't know what kind it is for sure (not hen & chicks though) but I think it might be burros tail. Is he in any kind of danger? Are succulents toxic to chams? Do I need to take him to the vet? Please help he is only 4 months old and has been in my care for 3 weeks!

We might be able to help you better if you posted a photo of the plant. :)
Here you go. It's the light green one in the middle. My thoughts are that it's young burrows tail. I just got them about a month ago so they are still small.

Attachments

• IMG_3549.JPG
    IMG_3549.JPG
    264.6 KB · Views: 284
I would not worry and I would take this as a lesson as to how quickly chameleons can get into trouble. Also, chameleons are best treated as hands off animals and frequent times on your shoulder is time out of its UVB, temperature gradients, and proper humidity. It doesn't mean never to handle or even that some chameleons can accept and even seem to enjoy handling, it is pointing out that for the majority of chameleons, infrequent handling and being left in its properly appointed enclosure is the best approach.

Thank's
I would not worry and I would take this as a lesson as to how quickly chameleons can get into trouble. Also, chameleons are best treated as hands off animals and frequent times on your shoulder is time out of its UVB, temperature gradients, and proper humidity. It doesn't mean never to handle or even that some chameleons can accept and even seem to enjoy handling, it is pointing out that for the majority of chameleons, infrequent handling and being left in its properly appointed enclosure is the best approach.
for the great info! He sees to love being out! I don't leave him out for more then 10 minutes though, because like you said, he needs to stay under his uvb light! Sitting on my shoulder is his special treat whenever I need to clean the tank! ;) Whenever he wants out, he sits at the front of the cage and stares at me. As soon as I open the cage, he runs out onto my arm and up to mu shoulder. He is definitely an anomaly!

I don't think your succulent is burros tail, as those leaves are a different shape. It may still be a sedum of some kind, but in any case there are few plants that can cause any great harm with one bite and many that are listed as harmful simply have irritants or taste bad, upset the stomach, or otherwise are rather benign. I'd monitor for and obvious changes and consider things an all clear in 24hrs. Succulents with clear, rather than milky sap are least likely to pose any real concern.

I don't think your succulent is burros tail, as those leaves are a different shape. It may still be a sedum of some kind, but in any case there are few plants that can cause any great harm with one bite and many that are listed as harmful simply have irritants or taste bad, upset the stomach, or otherwise are rather benign. I'd monitor for and obvious changes and consider things an all clear in 24hrs. Succulents with clear, rather than milky sap are least likely to pose any real concern.
The sap from this one (whatever it is) is clear, and I will continue to monitor him. So far he seems fine, even ate the last cricket that was in cage from when I fed him this morning a little while ago... He is currently asleep. Fingers crossed everything will be ok!

Back
Top Bottom