Urgent! Both eyes closed

RamboDaCham

image.jpg
image.jpg
My male veiled chameleon that is approximately 10 months old has had both of his eyes closed and acting lethargic for about 6 days. He is also making very small and few bowel movements. His eyes will have a crust over them and once it’s wetted he opens them up but only slightly I feed him crickets, dust them with calcium and D3cal., and morio worms but not a lot. He gets misted about 3 times a day for 2 min and then 4 30 seconds mistings. A reptisun 5.0 UVB mini compact fluorescent and a 60W zoomed daylight blue bulb light his enclosure. He has a dripper. 18x18x32 mesh enclosure. Plz help.

Go to the vet ASAP, he also looks dehydrated maybe, with the sunken eyes. Could you fill out the ask for help form and post a pic of his enclosure, please?

There are many things that could be going wrong here, but there are some issues with your basic husbandry.

(1) Exactly how often do you use plain calcium versus calcium+D3? You should only use D3 twice a month
(2) That enclosure is way too small. He needs a 24x24x48" enclosure minimum. Poor guy is living a very cramped life.
(3) Blue bulbs are not a good option for basking lights. Switch to a white, incandescent household bulb of the same wattage
(4) Compact UVBs are not very good at all. They don't distribute UVB effectively, which can cause many problems. Older models are known to cause eye problems, too, but supposedly this has been fixed. Better to use a linear model.

Are you gutloading? Filling out the form will really help. As stated above by @Syreptyon , get a t5H0 10.0 linear uvb bulb and fixture and a regular white light heat incandescent bulb from the hardware store. While at the hardware store, get a digital temp gun for basking temps and a digital hygrometer/thermometer combo for ambient temp and humidity. Get a bigger cage, 2’ by 2’ by 4’ tall MINIMUM, preferably screen. Get a vet appointment before doing any of this, though

There are many things that could be going wrong here, but there are some issues with your basic husbandry.

(1) Exactly how often do you use plain calcium versus calcium+D3? You should only use D3 twice a month
(2) That enclosure is way too small. He needs a 24x24x48" enclosure minimum. Poor guy is living a very cramped life.
(3) Blue bulbs are not a good option for basking lights. Switch to a white, incandescent household bulb of the same wattage
(4) Compact UVBs are not very good at all. They don't distribute UVB effectively, which can cause many problems. Older models are known to cause eye problems, too, but supposedly this has been fixed. Better to use a linear model.
Answers:
1. I only use D3-calc. twice a month and the reg. calc. 3 times a week.
3. Exactly what bulb would be the BEST option for basking heat? and could this be what is causing my cham to act like this??
4. Do any of those problems that can result from a compact UVB related to those that my cham is experiencing ??

Would like to hear some solutions :)

• Your Chameleon - Veiled Cham. Male, 10 months old, 7 months care
  • Handling - I have only handled my chameleon 4 times, once bringing it home, once when visiting the vet as he got a string in his eye and it cause an infection but what treated and healed about 2 months ago.
  • Feeding - I feed gut loaded crickets and morio worms. The crickets are gut loaded with calc. cricket food and calc. water gel the morio worms just have rolled oats. He is fed 6-8 crickets a day or 4-6 crickets and 2-3 morio worms. He is fed half of the amount he will receive in a day around 10 and then again around 2.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I dust with zoo med calcium and calcium with D3. D3 calc. twice a month, calcium powder twice a week.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have a pump mister and I aim for his moss vines as they retain the moisture and keep humidity high and lightly mist the chameleon. 3 Two minute sessions and 4 30 sec sessions. No have not seen him drink in past couple weeks although I am busy and do not watch for extended periods of time.
  • Fecal Description - He has not been making large of frequent bowel movements. Droppings that he does make, which is about 3 a week , are small and consist of just the urinate or just the solid matter and are not a "complete" dropping they are also small in size. The droppings have a light yellow urinate and a brown matter. No he has never been tested for parasites.
  • History - He had an infection in his left eye after an inch long string/hair went into his eye, he was taken to the vet, treated and recovered.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Mesh 18x18x36
  • Lighting - reptisun 5.0 compact fluorescent and 60W Zoo med daylight blue bulb in a duo deep dome lighting fixture. his lights turn on at 7:30 AM and off at 7:30 PM
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? cage floor is around 70 F, middle of cage is 72-5 F, basking spot is 85 - 90 F. lowest overnight temp is 70 F
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidity levels always between 50-65, lowest level is 45. i create the humiditty by misting and maintain them with the moss vines and sticks that retain moisture. I use a hygrometer placed on the middle of the cage
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? NO
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The Cage is on a Desk by its self in a room with only my other lizard which is a bearded dragon. Its not near any fans or air vents, I use fan to circulate air when I feel needed. The top of the cage relative to the room floor is about 6 foot high.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? South Carolina 30 minutes from ocean.

• Your Chameleon - Veiled Cham. Male, 10 months old, 7 months care
  • Handling - I have only handled my chameleon 4 times, once bringing it home, once when visiting the vet as he got a string in his eye and it cause an infection but what treated and healed about 2 months ago.
  • Feeding - I feed gut loaded crickets and morio worms. The crickets are gut loaded with calc. cricket food and calc. water gel the morio worms just have rolled oats. He is fed 6-8 crickets a day or 4-6 crickets and 2-3 morio worms. He is fed half of the amount he will receive in a day around 10 and then again around 2.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I dust with zoo med calcium and calcium with D3. D3 calc. twice a month, calcium powder twice a week.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have a pump mister and I aim for his moss vines as they retain the moisture and keep humidity high and lightly mist the chameleon. 3 Two minute sessions and 4 30 sec sessions. No have not seen him drink in past couple weeks although I am busy and do not watch for extended periods of time.
  • Fecal Description - He has not been making large of frequent bowel movements. Droppings that he does make, which is about 3 a week , are small and consist of just the urinate or just the solid matter and are not a "complete" dropping they are also small in size. The droppings have a light yellow urinate and a brown matter. No he has never been tested for parasites.
  • History - He had an infection in his left eye after an inch long string/hair went into his eye, he was taken to the vet, treated and recovered.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Mesh 18x18x36
  • Lighting - reptisun 5.0 compact fluorescent and 60W Zoo med daylight blue bulb in a duo deep dome lighting fixture. his lights turn on at 7:30 AM and off at 7:30 PM
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? cage floor is around 70 F, middle of cage is 72-5 F, basking spot is 85 - 90 F. lowest overnight temp is 70 F
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidity levels always between 50-65, lowest level is 45. i create the humiditty by misting and maintain them with the moss vines and sticks that retain moisture. I use a hygrometer placed on the middle of the cage
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? NO
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The Cage is on a Desk by its self in a room with only my other lizard which is a bearded dragon. Its not near any fans or air vents, I use fan to circulate air when I feel needed. The top of the cage relative to the room floor is about 6 foot high.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? South Carolina 30 minutes from ocean.
The morio worms need to be gutloaded with organic fresh fruits and veggies, too. What brand is your cricket gutload? He should only be fed in the morning and only every other day. The veiled care sheet here has the proper amount of food items and proper basking temps, etc. Does he have any fake plants in his cage? Could you post a pic of his enclosure? When you get the money, invest in an automated mister and a t5HO 10.0 linear uvb bulb and fixture. He needs a bigger cage, minimum of 2’ by 2’ by 4’ tall. He needs a white light basking bulb, like a reptile basking bulb or a white light heat incandescent bulb from the hardware store.

In a 18 x 18 x 32 a T5HO 10.0 linear uvb bulb would be WAY too much. An Arcadia 6 % would be a better fit right now, until you upgrade your cage size

Answers:
1. I only use D3-calc. twice a month and the reg. calc. 3 times a week.
3. Exactly what bulb would be the BEST option for basking heat? and could this be what is causing my cham to act like this??
4. Do any of those problems that can result from a compact UVB related to those that my cham is experiencing ??

Would like to hear some solutions :)

1. D3 twice per month, Plain calcium daily, multivitamin twice per month.
3. Take a bulb from any of your household lamps or light fixtures. Make sure you do not use LED bulbs as they do not emit enough heat.
4. possible. the compact UVB focuses UVB radiation in one spot so if that spot is near the basking spot it could cause eye irritation after some time. Lack of a multivitamin and proper gutload (fresh veggies) can also cause eye issues or other general health issues.

The morio worms need to be gutloaded with organic fresh fruits and veggies, too. What brand is your cricket gutload? He should only be fed in the morning and only every other day. The veiled care sheet here has the proper amount of food items and proper basking temps, etc. Does he have any fake plants in his cage? Could you post a pic of his enclosure? When you get the money, invest in an automated mister and a t5HO 10.0 linear uvb bulb and fixture. He needs a bigger cage, minimum of 2’ by 2’ by 4’ tall. He needs a white light basking bulb, like a reptile basking bulb or a white light heat incandescent bulb from the hardware store.
The cricket food is THEFEEDERFARM SUPER ROACH CHOW. Some stuff I bought off eBay it’s label reads “High protein homemade double ground crickets love it too!” When I go to dust the crickets do I dust every cricket or just one or half? I will start purchasing all of these items starting with the heat bulb and cage.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 107
1. D3 twice per month, Plain calcium daily, multivitamin twice per month.
3. Take a bulb from any of your household lamps or light fixtures. Make sure you do not use LED bulbs as they do not emit enough heat.
4. possible. the compact UVB focuses UVB radiation in one spot so if that spot is near the basking spot it could cause eye irritation after some time. Lack of a multivitamin and proper gutload (fresh veggies) can also cause eye issues or other general health issues.
What is a good multivitamin to use? And thanks will try all of these things. Will take a week - half to get the cage and proper UVB bulb I Shall TRY ASAP though.

When you get the bigger cage, add more branches and vines, mostly horizontal, along with plant cover, throughout

When you get the bigger cage, add more branches and vines, mostly horizontal, along with plant cover, throughout
By fixing all my mistaks, In your opinion do you think it will fix the problems my chameleon is experiencing? The constipation and eyes being closed/sealed. As he is only mildly lethargic and is eating.

By fixing all my mistaks, In your opinion do you think it will fix the problems my chameleon is experiencing? The constipation and eyes being closed/sealed. As he is only mildly lethargic and is eating.
It depends, is there an exotics vet with cham experience near you?

It depends, is there an exotics vet with cham experience near you?
There is only one in the area, next nearest is two hours, and their “experience” is less than those on this forum. The first time I went she said she has never seen a chameleon as lively as mine as the only ones she had seen were almost dead due to poor care. They were good for prescribing my prescription and taking my money.

Back
Top Bottom