URGENT! Baby Chameleon's Tongue Completely Fallen Out & Unattached After Getting Stuck!

Hello friends! Barney update: still doing well but the past 2 days his bowel movements have no urate attached! Should I be concerned? Also he is only eating hornworms, occasional dubia's and black soldier fly larvae as a treat. His diet is primarily hornworms due to his ability to grab them easier and their ability to retain hydration for him. Can a chameleon live off of horn worms? And is the hydration of the worms what's causing his bowl movements to shift? He is getting an upgraded much larger cage that arrives tomorrow! I'm constantly looking for ways to make this little survivor happy. Thanks in advance!
try silkworms they are expensive but chams love them and they are really healthy unlike hornworms

Yeah, I'd continue to have variety if possible. Silkworms I think can do pretty well to help hydration, and BSFL are fine for staple feeders. Same with Dubias. Dubias and BSFL are the two main feeders I use, mostly because silkworms are hard to find/expensive.

That being said, I'd love to see a picture of him and how he's doing in his new cage when you get it! He's one of my favorite stories on here so far (and Barney is an amazing name for a cham).

I’m glad he’s doing well! Like others have said, I’d still try to get a little variety into his diet. If he can open up to eat hornworms then he could probably eat dubia, silk worms, etc.

Hello chameleon people! Just a quick Barney update - he is doing great. We are still hand feeding almost daily but if he needs, he can manage hunting for worms through his enclosure. My question is - now that Barney is about 5 months old, what is the recommended amount of food for this age? And about how much should he weigh in grams? Just want to make sure we are not hand feeding too much/too little. Also wanting to make sure his weight is on track for his age :) Thanks again!

How about a photo so we can see him!?!
This photo was taken mid-April so he is even bigger now but how beautiful is he? :) I am at work now but will take another when I am home!

Attachments

• Barn.jpeg
    Barn.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 75
This photo was taken mid-April so he is even bigger now but how beautiful is he? :) I am at work now but will take another when I am home!
I am SO EXCITED to see he's doing well! Others will have good feeding advice, but I do believe that at 5mos I think you're still good to feed him as much as he'll eat, daily, and keep an eye on his casque to make sure he doesn't get too chubby. He's still got some growing to do I expect. He's gorgeous!!

I am SO EXCITED to see he's doing well! Others will have good feeding advice, but I do believe that at 5mos I think you're still good to feed him as much as he'll eat, daily, and keep an eye on his casque to make sure he doesn't get too chubby. He's still got some growing to do I expect. He's gorgeous!!
Thank you!! Here are some photos of him this evening, he's looking a little drab tonight :( I think his head is about to shed! We are noticing his head and body shed independently alternating every few weeks.

Attachments

• tempImageAwpXfM.png
    tempImageAwpXfM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 73
  • tempImageiERbzA.png
    tempImageiERbzA.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 80
Hello chameleon friends! Quick question- my boyfriend got our powdered foods mixed up and accidentally fed Barney hornwoom food powder instead of his occasional carnivore care (which we have to supplement bc of his tongue issues) - is it okay??

Hello chameleon friends! Quick question- my boyfriend got our powdered foods mixed up and accidentally fed Barney hornwoom food powder instead of his occasional carnivore care (which we have to supplement bc of his tongue issues) - is it okay??
How is he doing today? I wouldn’t think that eating something normally not digested by his body would do any harm, especially if it only happened once (it may have upset his tummy a little). As far as I recall, hornworm food is just a mix of wheat germ, powdered milk and yeast. You might notice weird poo.

Hello friends! Update on Barney - he is going GREAT! This summer I am traveling for work for two weeks in May, two weeks in June, and two weeks in July and I am in desperate need for someone to help me take care of sweet Barney while I am gone. I will pay! I live in the Studio City area of Southern California. Does anyone know anyone who can help me? Best, Emma

Hello friends! Update on Barney - he is going GREAT! This summer I am traveling for work for two weeks in May, two weeks in June, and two weeks in July and I am in desperate need for someone to help me take care of sweet Barney while I am gone. I will pay! I live in the Studio City area of Southern California. Does anyone know anyone who can help me? Best, Emma
Post a new thread so it is under the subject of what you need. You will get more eyes on it that way. You can always put the link for this thread in your other one so people know more about the situation.

Hi everyone!

I just thought I would give an update. After a little over a week since Barney's accident and daily hand feeding/giving antibiotics/pain meds (which he absolutely hates) he officially crawled down to his feeding dish this afternoon and grabbed a few worms like a bearded dragon! He's learning! I have been so stressed wondering if he will learn to eat in a new way. At first he tried to stick his tongue out (which looks completely healed, no more blood clot) and after realizing that it wasn't going to stick, he just grabbed the hornworm with his mouth! CHOMP. I am so happy. This is a major moment for Barn. I was so worried about twice daily hand feeding the rest of his life. Now my only concern remains to be water but he seems like he's getting plenty and doesn't look dehydrated. In a couple weeks I will make sure he is weighing more than the day of his accident and now can start supplementing his food again. I still feel awful but am feeling so much better that we made the right decision in giving him a second chance and did not put him down! Thanks for everyon's advice, any is still welcome :)
That is amazing news! I hope you guys have a lot of years together! Best of luck to you !

Back
Top Bottom