urate

I thought that they did both together too, but, having said that, when Lily was close to laying and wasn't eating she still passed urates everyday, but no poop. Nothin' going in so nothin' coming out I suppose!!:D

What does it mean when your cham deficates, but there is no urate by/near/attached to the feces?

The feces are heavier than the urates, generally, and so at times are more likely to fall to a visible place while the urates stick to the underside of a leaf or vine/branch. If I see one of our chams pass feces without urates (has probably only happened twice so far) I become concerned about hydration and generally will put them in for a bit of a shower, just in case. If there is a problem, I want to catch it early.

We have automatic misters, 3 times a day, and so I don't always see if every cham is drinking every day. Sometimes one will seem to go "off his water" for whatever unexplained reason, and needs a boost of hydration.

But I do have to admit, normally, if I look long enough, I find that patch of white urate stuck somewhere up in the tree.

How have your cham's urates been looking lately?

The feces are heavier than the urates, generally, and so at times are more likely to fall to a visible place while the urates stick to the underside of a leaf or vine/branch. If I see one of our chams pass feces without urates (has probably only happened twice so far) I become concerned about hydration and generally will put them in for a bit of a shower, just in case. If there is a problem, I want to catch it early.

We have automatic misters, 3 times a day, and so I don't always see if every cham is drinking every day. Sometimes one will seem to go "off his water" for whatever unexplained reason, and needs a boost of hydration.

But I do have to admit, normally, if I look long enough, I find that patch of white urate stuck somewhere up in the tree.

How have your cham's urates been looking lately?

She has a mister that goes for 2 minutes every 3 hours. I also put her in the shower, but she is not drinking at all, i saw her urate yellowish about 3 weekes ago and then i havnt really seen any urate, and i have looked hard. I have given her multiple showers and so i dont really know what to do, i tried pedialyte yesterday and she drank a little bit so we'll c.

Could she be almost ready to lay eggs? I have one female that goes off food AND almost completely off water in the days preceeding laying.

Perhaps increase the time the misters are on, and /or use a dripper as well? And offer well hydrated prey (crickets fed wet food, hornworms, silkworms)

Could she be almost ready to lay eggs? I have one female that goes off food AND almost completely off water in the days preceeding laying.

Perhaps increase the time the misters are on, and /or use a dripper as well? And offer well hydrated prey (crickets fed wet food, hornworms, silkworms)

Been feeding her crickets with flukers orange feed for that because it is super moist. The thing is she is SUPER tiny, i cant see her carrying any eggs, but ill fill my trashcan and she if she does any thing. Keep in mind she went off food for like 2 months now and shes finally starting to eat on her own, every once in a while throughout those 2 months i would force feed her. she recently stopped drinking.

What does it mean when your cham deficates, but there is no urate by/near/attached to the feces?

OK. I think it's time for some photos, and it would be great if you could answer these questions below. it does sound like you've got a real issue going with your little girl. Also I see that you have 2 concurrent threads running on this same issue. That really doesn't help matters at all. I answered this thread on the 14th, having no idea you were also running a whole other thread on the exact same issue, except that in the other thread you give more detailed information.:confused: In this thread you are asking why there are no urates, and in your other, concurrent, thread you go into detail about how your chameleon is not drinking. Well, the fact that your chameleon isn't drinking pretty much explains why there are no urates. :):)

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Last edited:
OK. I think it's time for some photos, and it would be great if you could answer these questions below. it does sound like you've got a real issue going with your little girl. Also I see that you have 2 concurrent threads running on this same issue. That really doesn't help matters at all. I answered this thread on the 14th, having no idea you were also running a whole other thread on the exact same issue, except that in the other thread you give more detailed information.:confused:

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

UGH! one of these days im going to save all the info so i can just edit copy edit paste it, ok here we go!

female veiled been in my care since late october last year
I usually handle her twice a week
I feed her crickets, hornworns(rarely), silk worms, and meal worms(stopped a while ago though) I am gut loading with carrots and romain lettuce, also feed them flukers some times, and i dust them every feeding twice a week with D3 no feeding schedule now because the hunger strike
i have reptivite for the dusting
I use tap water some times, but usually bottle water, and have it in a bucket, i put reptisafe in it and the mister goes off for 2 minutes every 3 hours, every day I havnt seen her drink in a very long time, plus i also spray her when i feel like annoying her, she hates it but i want her to drink.
Her feces itself is brownish, looks normal, the urate when it is there is white with a tint of yellowish Last fecal sample the feces was intact and it looked as it some one put a bomb in the urate because the urate splattered.
Thats my current problem, minor dehydration, never been tested.

*SIGH* there! lol

LOL this always happens, i take the time to do the list, and then every 1 stops reading the thread! lmfao

Ha Ha. Really, I just wanted to give you something to do this afternoon!

and i dust them every feeding twice a week with D3 no feeding schedule now because the hunger strike

Are you saying that, when she was eating, you dusted her food every feeding with the reptivite? And then with Calcium with D3 twice a week. Your wording isn't quite clear. A better supplement schedule may be to dust with Calcium w/o D3 at most feedings, with D3 once a week, and the Reptivite once a week or once every 2 weeks.

I use tap water some times, but usually bottle water, and have it in a bucket, i put reptisafe in it and the mister goes off for 2 minutes every 3 hours, every day I havnt seen her drink in a very long time, plus i also spray her when i feel like annoying her, she hates it but i want her to drink.

We have automisters that come on 3 times a day for 10-15 minutes. But I still have a few chams that have to be hand-sprayed because that is the only way they will drink. It happens. I also occasionally shower each cham to give them a hydration boost.

Her feces itself is brownish, looks normal, the urate when it is there is white with a tint of yellowish Last fecal sample the feces was intact and it looked as it some one put a bomb in the urate because the urate splattered.

The worms you were feeding her can cause spattered fecals and urates.

It's always a good idea to have a cham with issues tested for parasites. You just never know. If you can get a fecal from her, you can send it to us. We do fecal exams here on our own chams, and will do for others, too, from the forum- if a cham is having a prob. Just the floats, not the smears. For free. Even a days-old fecal will show the most common parasites if they are there. Two others from forum have done this, we found pinworms (I think it was) in one but the other's fecal was clean. You can PM us. It's just a very basic fecal exam, not the in depth, wide range exam the vet can do with a centrifuge and stains, etc. But it will show your most common parasites if present (i.e., pinworm, roundworm, coccidia, and others).

Last edited:
Ha Ha. Really, I just wanted to give you something to do this afternoon!

and i dust them every feeding twice a week with D3 no feeding schedule now because the hunger strike

Are you saying that, when she was eating, you dusted her food every feeding with the reptivite? And then with Calcium with D3 twice a week. Your wording isn't quite clear. A better supplement schedule may be to dust with Calcium w/o D3 at most feedings, with D3 once a week, and the Reptivite once a week or once every 2 weeks.

We have automisters that come on 3 times a day for 10-15 minutes. But I still have a few chams that have to be hand-sprayed because that is the only way they will drink. It happens. I also occasionally shower each cham to give them a hydration boost.

The worms you were feeding her can cause spattered fecals and urates.

It's always a good idea to have a cham with issues tested for parasites. You just never know. If you can get a fecal from her, you can send it to us. We do fecal exams here on our own chams, and will do for others, too, from the forum- if a cham is having a prob. Just the floats, not the smears. For free. Even a days-old fecal will show the most common parasites if they are there. Two others from forum have done this, we found pinworms (I think it was) in one but the other's fecal was clean. You can PM us. It's just a very basic fecal exam, not the in depth, wide range exam the vet can do with a centrifuge and stains, etc. But it will show your most common parasites if present (i.e., pinworm, roundworm, coccidia, and others).

Ok i dust every feeding w/out D3 except for monday and thursday, i give her calcium with D3

Back
Top Bottom