Urate stuck in butt flap

Hi there, so my 2 year old male veiled chameleon Rango, has something stuck in his flap, it looks like a urate from a poop. I noticed it while feeding him today and he lives in our living room so he gets checked out frequently, im thinking it only has been stuck for the day. I tried gently pulling it away from him but it wasn't coming easily, however he did not seem distressed by my attempts (he has actually never hissed or puffed up at me.) I know husbandry is important so here it is,
He has a 6' by 2' by 2' enclosure with screen on top bottom and front with vented windows on both sides. Currently only 1 snake plant in the enclosure (we just moved so its only been barren for a few weeks, he previously had pothos, wandering jew plants and a giant money tree) the enclosure stays at around 75 F with basking spot around 85 F amd 30%- 40% humidity. He drinks clean water frequently from a dripper that runs all day and urates found in the enclosure are a healthy bright white. Now for the bad part is his Diet, in Alberta we're limited on the bugs we can purchase so his main source of food is super worms, he eats about 6 every 2 days dusted without d3 twice a week and with d3 once a week. I try to mix in grubs or crickets but he always eats around them and leaves them to die in his feeder. I gutload the worms with carrots amd broccoli stems.
He has never had any issues like this before and i am very worried so any advice is much appreciated. I tried to take some pics but he got camera shy

Attachments

• 20211207_183453.jpg
    20211207_183453.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 20211207_183502.jpg
    20211207_183502.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 125
  • 20211207_183455.jpg
    20211207_183455.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 112
Superworms are like candy...they don't want to switch back to other insects if you feed them too many. Can't you get silkworms, BSFL and sometimes waxworms and tomato worms? Crickets are a pretty good feeder cause they are easy to get and easy to feed/gutload.

For supplements, I recommend phos free calcium powder at all feedings but one a week...Alternating on that one feeding remaining feeding a week with a PHOS free calcium/D3 powder and a vitamin powder that contains a prEformed source of vitamin A...all lightly dusted.

What's stuck in his butt might be sperm plugs...but I can't see clearly enough to be sure.

Cant find anything you mentioned in local pet stores except for crickets and i've seen a couple threads on here mention that they're not the most nutritious feeder, however i think i will be trying to switch him back to crickets atleast until i can source something better for him.
I'll be shopping for different supplements this weekend.
Here's a better pic.
Thanks for the advice!

Attachments

• 20211207_193147.jpg
    20211207_193147.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 114
I live in Canada too...so the main diet when I started keeping them was crickets and as long as you feed/care for/dust the crickets right they did well on them.

Any tips on how to get him to eat them? Last time i tried to switch him back he went almost 2 weeks just without eating, I've tried putting them in salads and he never eats any veggies that i give him so just avoided the crickets even more. Also do you know of any feeder companies that ship to canada?

There are some feeder companies that are in Canada....but I never ordered from them because I lived near a store that sold good quality insects?

Kinyonga said "What's stuck in his butt might be sperm plugs...but I can't see clearly enough to be sure"

Thinking about the title of thread. Remember the urate comes out first--so I would check into the plug idea mentioned. (y) (y)

Kinyonga said "What's stuck in his butt might be sperm plugs...but I can't see clearly enough to be sure"

Thinking about the title of thread. Remember the urate comes out first--so I would check into the plug idea mentioned. (y) (y)
Checked out some threads and found out sperm plugs can become impacted. One user mentioned that they pulled out the impacted ones. Any experience with this or know how to determine if thats for sure the case?

IMHO, you need to be sure that it is a plug before you tamper with it. Otherwise you could cause damage to the chameleon.
Great advice! If you mist the area and wait a few minutes both plug and urate will soften. Then slowly pull out- slow- the urate will kind a crack off and plug will pop out they are not long -----. Just go slow and if it is STUCK, then you might have to visit the vet. I have removed a few with no problems. This might be the beginning of a norm. You can probably find a video if unsure. JMO--not a vet (y)

If you have a significant temp drop at night (like below 70f), I’d suggest using a cool mist humidifier and boost humidity as high as 80-100%. Not only will this help keep things like sperm plugs softer/moister and easier for him to shed on his own, but it simulates the natural hydration of fog that occurs in the wild.

If you have a significant temp drop at night (like below 70f), I’d suggest using a cool mist humidifier and boost humidity as high as 80-100%. Not only will this help keep things like sperm plugs softer/moister and easier for him to shed on his own, but it simulates the natural hydration of fog that occurs in the wild.
Doesnt drop quite that low in temp but i will be finding a way to keep humidity higher at night time, thanks for the tip

Great advice! If you mist the area and wait a few minutes both plug and urate will soften. Then slowly pull out- slow- the urate will kind a crack off and plug will pop out they are not long -----. Just go slow and if it is STUCK, then you might have to visit the vet. I have removed a few with no problems. This might be the beginning of a norm. You can probably find a video if unsure. JMO--not a vet (y)
Thanks gonna give that a try when im off work tomorrow (he's sleeping now) and im going to find a way to spike his humidity at night

Back
Top Bottom