Upping Ambient Temp

Hi guys, the New England winter is upon us, and my cham's cage isn't holding heat as well as it did in the summer months. I need to raise the whole ambient temp around 10-15 ish degrees to make sure she stays warm. Does anyone have suggestions? I've read that heat mats don't work very well, but I'm nit sure what putting another circular lamp (don't know the proper name for it) would do. Please help!

Basking bulb is 100 watt and the temp is around 75-80 ish. I'd like to get that one a bit warmer, but mostly I need the floor temp up (it's at 60 ish)
Brr. Your house is chilly.
Its cooled off here in Ontario Canada. But even mid winter I keep the house around 65.. (i live in wool socks and slippers. ?)

Heat mats are not a good solution IMHO.
Is the cage screen or what?
Yep, it's a screen cage. I brought her to the vet (unrelated) and the vet suggested against using heat mats because she could burn herself, but she doesn't climb on the floor so I feel like it wouldn't affect it ? Do you have any brands to recommend?

Brr. Your house is chilly.
Its cooled off here in Ontario Canada. But even mid winter I keep the house around 65.. (i live in wool socks and slippers. ?)
Yeah haha! The main part of my house is warmer, but her cage is in the finished basement of my house (there was no space for her upstairs). It's got heating there but it's pretty inefficient and the basement is kinda big so it's hard to heat it up :( I can see if there might be an old space heater in my attic

Yep, it's a screen cage. I brought her to the vet (unrelated) and the vet suggested against using heat mats because she could burn herself, but she doesn't climb on the floor so I feel like it wouldn't affect it ? Do you have any brands to recommend?

So even though I said heat mats are not a good solution and the vet said the same thing you're asking me for what brand I would recommend? The vet is right...to might burn its feet.

Chameleons don't look for heat from below anyway....they warm up with sunlight....or in captivity with a basking light....but no lights at night.
But since your cage is all screen you can hang a shower curtain around 3 sides of the cage to keep heat in...but I think I would just switch to an exoterra cage with vents in the front and a screen lid...and 5glass sides.

Last edited:
No heat mats... No higher wattage bulb, a 100 watt depending on the distance is already a thermal burn risk.

You need a space heater for that room. This will up the ambient room temp. Like these below. They are not expensive to run and they work well upping the ambient temps.

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 5.15.13 PM.png

So even though I said heat mats are not a good solution and the vet said the same thing you're asking me for what brand I would recommend? The vet is right...to might burn its feet.

Chameleons don't look for heat from below anyway....they warm up with sunlight....or in captivity with a basking light....but no lights at night.
But since your cage is all screen you can hang a shower curtain around 3 sides of the cage to keep heat in...but I think I would just switch to an exoterra cage with vents in the front and a screen lid...and 5glass sides.
Sorry, I misunderstood and thought you said they would be a good idea! Thank you for the help!

Back
Top Bottom