UPGRADING TO 90X45X90 VIVARIUM

lthrbecks

Established Member
I'm just about to purchase this vivarium and light fitting for my juvenile chameleon. Will my 100w basking ceramic lamp, cover this new setup?

Also, is the T5 light OK for my new tank?

Thanks for any help you can give me on the above matter.

Pics attached of set up and light

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200728_122443_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200728_122443_com.android.chrome.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot_20200728_122320_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200728_122320_com.android.chrome.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 113
thats a BIG glass terrarium :) i didnt know they made them close to 1 meter.

This 36” x 18” x 24” (WxDxH) if measured in yankies.

You have 1 big problem and 1 little problem. The big problem is you want to put a 12% on a 2ft tall cage. That is a big no no. You want a 6%, and even that is pushing it. Im not going to do the work for you (but some others will ) but there is a graphic posted on how high you need to mount the 6% to get the zone right. But if you just pop the 6% on top of the hood, the cham danger zone will be 6" out, and the usable uvb will be well past the bottom of the cage. So i dont think you want to have your cham using only 18" of height, and he/she is not going to be hanging out at the bottom of the cage :p

OK found the graphic :)
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-replicating-the-sun/

So a T5HO 6% needs to be 6" above the screen took keep the cham out of the danger zone, and the "good zone" is 5"-12" away from the screen, when the bulb is 6" above the screen.

You do not need a ceramic heater, or any heater, if air temps are at least 22c during most of the day.

Last edited:
Thanks. Seems like a sweet deal. I wonder if they sell in the USA? I really like the style of terrarium. Your chameleon is so lucky.

I'm in New England, Connecticut. I had to go out of state to purchase my last setup. Connecticut, is not as great as it used to be and all the shops are closing or they are ridiculously priced.

Thanks for any help you can give me on the above matter.

Pics attached of set up and light
Aside from nightanole's observations, I'm still concerned about the (lack of sufficient) height.
Not saying it will happen, but I'd be prepared for your cham spending an inordinate amount of time hanging from the ceiling.

I'm confused. The title says it's a 90x45x90 which is fine, but the screenshot is a 90x45x60 which is not good for a chameleon. 60 cm is 2ft. A 2ft tall cage!? I don't think so.

My mistake it's definitely 90x45x90!

Im just concerned about what T5 light to buy. It's an Arcadian 34in long x 39w desert 12%UVB. Is this suitable for my needs?

My mistake it's definitely 90x45x90!

Im just concerned about what T5 light to buy. It's an Arcadian 34in long x 39w desert 12%UVB. Is this suitable for my needs?
No it is NOT. @nightanole already answered your question. You need a 6%. Please make sure your looking at all the posts on your thread or you will miss very important information. Be VERY careful with that 100 watt ceramic heat emitter. That is an extremely high wattage to use. And we have seen thermal burns from using them.

I've contacted Arcadia direct. I'm scrapping the ceramic for a halogen 100w spot light instead.

Thanks for your advice I appreciate it

Is this suitable only longer obviously

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200728_185341_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200728_185341_com.android.chrome.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 72
Is this suitable only longer obviously

Yup, 6% for anything shorter than 5ft/150cm tall. Check the second post of your thread for the math on how to set it up.

Natural Terrarium Large/X-Tall
90 x 45 x 90 cm / 36” x 18” x 36” (WxDxH)

What's confusing me is the difference in wattages. 6% seems recommended.

Also, I'm advised to get a forest lamp, yet my chameleon is a desert reptile coming from arid Yemen and Saudi Arabia. Do you know where I'm coming from?

What's confusing me is the difference in wattages. 6% seems recommended.

Also, I'm advised to get a forest lamp, yet my chameleon is a desert reptile coming from arid Yemen and Saudi Arabia. Do you know where I'm coming from?
It is based on the UVB. SO you buy the 6% UVB bulb in the length for your fixture. With this bulb basking is 9 inches down. The bulbs are 2 inches shorter then fixture length. The wattage on them is higher the longer the bulb length is.

Back
Top Bottom