Upgraded Enclosure

kara2323

Hi! A few days ago I posted about wanting to upgrade my enclosure and not too many people were happy with what I had lol. I realized HOW wrong the pet store was and how much they made me waste on things that were inadequate for my Cham. I now have a 2x2x4 Reptibreeze enclosure! My chameleon Kiwi loves it and hasn’t stopped climbing around. This is just the temporary interior, as I need to get more plants and vines. I am in the process of doing this. I have a compact uvb which I know isn’t ideal, so I’m getting a linear uvb 5.0 light today! Any suggestions for wattage of heat lamp? Since the enclosure is all mesh, it’s harder for it stay hotter at the top. Also, any suggestions for where to get enclosure-friendly plants? Again, this is just what it looks like temporarily, I’m still working on it. I know I need a lot more plants and vines. I would appreciate any advice! Please be nice, I’m trying to get tips lol

Attachments

• CD61CEA6-CB2C-45D6-9C06-60DEA747AFE0.jpeg
    CD61CEA6-CB2C-45D6-9C06-60DEA747AFE0.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 198188E6-80F2-405F-A872-A7060560AA5A.jpeg
    198188E6-80F2-405F-A872-A7060560AA5A.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 11D57184-799D-4472-BFC1-3E618A0AFD26.jpeg
    11D57184-799D-4472-BFC1-3E618A0AFD26.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 79
Good job on the enclosure upgrade. You could fill that enclosure with 1 or 2 big pothos, and she would be happy. You also might like ficus trees or hibiscus. I usually go to my nearest home depot to grab plants. They sell (around here anyway) huge golden and marbled pothos for only $12.

You will also want branches for pathways. They like different sized branches. My favorite to use are manzanita, though you can just go outside and grab any branch that isn't a soft wood (like pine) which has sap that could be dangerous.

For my screen reptibreeze I went ahead and invested in the dragon strand ledges, so that I could hang more plants and heavier branches. Fishing line is great to use to hold things to the screen, but the screen will tear if the branches and plants are too heavy. That is why the ledges are so useful.

It seems your baby chameleon is VERY close to that current bulb you have. When you get you T5 lighting, make sure the light is suspended 9 inches above your very highest branch. You don't want you baby over 80 degrees at the hottest place, and you don't want to overexpose her to UV.

Great! Thank you so much. I would’ve never thought to get real branches from outside lol. Yeah I do need to figure out a way to hang the lights. I do have a ficus tree in my living room but it’s too big to put in the enclosure, so maybe I’ll look into a smaller one.

I see you have a ficus. How tall is it? Will it fit in your new enclosure?
View attachment 278678
Yes I do! I think it’s a bit too big. It’s taller that the enclosure and the pot is a big big. The enclosure is already a bit fragile with the screen so idk if I should try it. Do you think I should try to put it in? It’s really big.

Good job on the enclosure upgrade. You could fill that enclosure with 1 or 2 big pothos, and she would be happy. You also might like ficus trees or hibiscus. I usually go to my nearest home depot to grab plants. They sell (around here anyway) huge golden and marbled pothos for only $12.

You will also want branches for pathways. They like different sized branches. My favorite to use are manzanita, though you can just go outside and grab any branch that isn't a soft wood (like pine) which has sap that could be dangerous.

For my screen reptibreeze I went ahead and invested in the dragon strand ledges, so that I could hang more plants and heavier branches. Fishing line is great to use to hold things to the screen, but the screen will tear if the branches and plants are too heavy. That is why the ledges are so useful.

It seems your baby chameleon is VERY close to that current bulb you have. When you get you T5 lighting, make sure the light is suspended 9 inches above your very highest branch. You don't want you baby over 80 degrees at the hottest place, and you don't want to overexpose her to UV.
Great! Thank you so much. I would’ve never thought to get real branches from outside lol. Yeah I do need to figure out a way to hang the lights. I do have a ficus tree in my living room but it’s too big to put in the enclosure, so maybe I’ll look into a smaller one.

Yes I do! I think it’s a bit too big. It’s taller that the enclosure and the pot is a big big. The enclosure is already a bit fragile with the screen so idk if I should try it. Do you think I should try to put it in? It’s really big.
No, if it is too big then you should probably go buy a smaller one. In my females cage I have 1 massive pothos plant that fills her enclosure very nicely. I believe a pothos plant would be much cheaper, leaving you money to buy other things.

No, if it is too big then you should probably go buy a smaller one. In my females cage I have 1 massive pothos plant that fills her enclosure very nicely. I believe a pothos plant would be much cheaper, leaving you money to buy other things.
Okay, thank you so much that was very helpful!

Speaking of, if you hardly have any plants....how do you water your little one?

Have you had your husbandry reviewed?

Have you had your

Have you had your husbandry reviewed?
I’m aware I hardly have plants, as I mentioned in my original post I’m working on getting more within a few days. Kiwi gets water from the leaves that are in and a dripper that is usually in there but wasn’t for the picture.

I’m aware I hardly have plants, as I mentioned in my original post I’m working on getting more within a few days. Kiwi gets water from the leaves that are in and a dripper that is usually in there but wasn’t for the picture.
I wasn't trying to be snarky, I was just asking. Sorry if it came off that way.

If you have the income, you might want to invest in a fogger/humidifier. That way you can run it for a few hours during the coolest part of the night. Breathing the humid air will help keep Kiwi hydrated.

I wasn't trying to be snarky, I was just asking. Sorry if it came off that way.

If you have the income, you might want to invest in a fogger/humidifier. That way you can run it for a few hours during the coolest part of the night. Breathing the humid air will help keep Kiwi hydrated.
Not at all, it’s ok I understand! And thank you for the suggestion, I might consider that. Do you put it in the enclosure or right beside it?

Not at all, it’s ok I understand! And thank you for the suggestion, I might consider that. Do you put it in the enclosure or right beside it?
The actual machine goes on the outside, and then the hose usually goes inside, although I have success just propping it against the top screen so the fog can pour downward into the enclosure. Otherwise, you will have to cut a hole in the screen.

Back
Top Bottom