Update

For anyone that posted or saw my thread on Robert’s MBD I wanted to give you guys and update.
For anyone that hadn’t seen my thread. I stupidly bought the reptibreeze chameleon kit, because it was before I found this forum warning about the kit. I also was misinformed by petco about his calcium intake. I was told he only had to be fed calcium twice a month. So of course, down the road he started developing MBD. He was in pretty bad shape. His legs were all bent. He lost his appetite and quit changing color. He also used to be very very friendly but when he started feeling bad he would avoid me. I also noticed he shook when he walked. (Not the leaf walk, like having trouble with balance kind of walk)
Of course I was really upset and started researching and found out about MBD. Some wonderful people on here also helped me out by pointing out his lighting was causing an issue too. I took him to the vet not long ago to get him checked on. Vet said he would be fine as long as supplements were given correctly and his lighting was changed. I also had to feed him with a syringe since he lost his appetite.
Robert is already acting much better. Despite the fact that I have to feed him with a syringe (which NEITHER of us like) he’s very compliant and doesn’t fight once I start squeezing the food in. I honestly expected him to be scared of me or see me as a threat when I started doing this. But he’s still a friendly boy and doesn’t shy away from me.
I have a T5H0 22” light being shipped to me tomorrow and the fixture should be in this weekend. His basking light has been taken care of. All that’s left is a cage size upgrade.
Im going to put feeders in his cage on Saturday and see if he starts eating normally again. My only concern now is his legs. His front legs and one back leg were my original concern. Fortunately, one of his front legs is gradually losing its double elbow look already. However his other front leg still looks pretty bad and one of his back legs is bowing a lot.
Anything I can do about this? Comments on my progress? Anything helps. Thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Did the vet say anything about a liquid calcium diet for awhile as well? It sounds like you are both on the right track now though. I'd also like to take this time to personally apologize again if I came off a little harsh on you. I applaud you for doing the research and coming on here and asking tons of questions. It's the only way we learn and grow and can better our lives as well as our reptiles lives of course too. I wish you and Robert all the best and a fast, healthy recovery for little Robert. On the brightside you caught it before it got bad or before it was to the point of no return.

Did the vet say anything about a liquid calcium diet for awhile as well? It sounds like you are both on the right track now though. I'd also like to take this time to personally apologize again if I came off a little harsh on you. I applaud you for doing the research and coming on here and asking tons of questions. It's the only way we learn and grow and can better our lives as well as our reptiles lives of course too. I wish you and Robert all the best and a fast, healthy recovery for little Robert. On the brightside you caught it before it got bad or before it was to the point of no return.
He didn’t say anything about a liquid calcium diet. You think it’s maybe something I should do for awhile?

He didn’t say anything about a liquid calcium diet. You think it’s maybe something I should do for awhile?
I think it's something you should look into or ask your vet about. I've never had to personally use it so I have no knowledge on it unfortunately. I do know that most vets do recommend the liquid calcium in severe cases of MBD though.

I think it's something you should look into or ask your vet about. I've never had to personally use it so I have no knowledge on it unfortunately. I do know that most vets do recommend the liquid calcium in severe cases of MBD though.
I’m picking up some superworms and crickets and I came across this gutloding stuff. Would it be good for my insects?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 199
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 177
I'm unfamiliar with that brand maybe someone else could chime in on that. It seems to be ok from ingredients and nutrition standpoint.

The dog got out and got ahold of my syringe I use to feed Robert... ugh. Anyways. Had to hand feed him today but he was compliant. I think I’ll just hand feed him from now on instead of syringe feeding. Makes less of a mess and I’m always paranoid I’m putting too much in his mouth at one time. He ate 5-6 crickets and 3 supers today. All dusted with calcium. Baby steps.

Awhile back I posted another thread about using Coban as a splint. Originally I hadn’t thought about using it on Robert. But he’s moving around a ton now. And I’m afraid that his back leg is going to fracture since it’s bent so much. Of course, I would never do anything without consulting my veterinarian. But I wanted some input on the idea. Check out that thread if you’ve got a minute

Robert ate on his own today guys!! I almost screamed with excitement but kept it in so I wouldn’t spook him lol. This is the first time I’ve gotten him to eat in his own since the Metabolic bone disease started. I bought a mealworm squirmer to put his superworms in to get him interested. However instead of grabbing the worms from the bottom of it like it’s designed, he crawled to the top of it and grabbed all the supers ( about 6) inside. I’ll see how he does with crickets on his own tomorrow. Small steps :)

Robert ate on his own today guys!! I almost screamed with excitement but kept it in so I wouldn’t spook him lol. This is the first time I’ve gotten him to eat in his own since the Metabolic bone disease started. I bought a mealworm squirmer to put his superworms in to get him interested. However instead of grabbing the worms from the bottom of it like it’s designed, he crawled to the top of it and grabbed all the supers ( about 6) inside. I’ll see how he does with crickets on his own tomorrow. Small steps :)
Congrats!!!!

Back
Top Bottom