update pictures of my home built huge self sufficient eco system.

TnEvs

eDTshmg.jpg
0Oe9oTI.jpg
i9KwSYM.jpg
Yp9OGLH.jpg

Amazing! Talk about a spoiled chameleon! I like the picture where you can see him roaming around. :) nice choice of live plants too.

Thanks!!:D
Took ages and ages but well worth it!
Lots of research went into it and many hours in garden centres and b&q!!
The looks you get when you say yes I'm looking for chameleon safe plants and chameleon friendly materials lol!!:rolleyes:

Absolutely beautiful!!! I especially like the orchids and bromeliad, gives a nice touch the the enclosure. Very well done!

Haha thank you!
That's the other halfs lol.
He has a yamaha r1 himself with Valentino replica paint work etc.
He's a bit of a fan!:rolleyes:

Good work. In no time at all, your pothos will be running all over the place. :D Did you use pond liner or shower pan liner for the bottom? I'm curious what is under it for support? I have some shower pan liner in the garage that I wanted to use for my last upgrade, but the plan changed 1/2 way thru the project and I sprayed my custom made drip pan w/ the "seen it on TV spray" stuff (but the Lowes version).

It's all wooden frame and solid ply board that's been coated with over 5 layers of yaght varnish.
The back has lino stuck on it the kind that's waterproof that you'd find in your kitchen or bathroom.
The bottom has layers of polystyrene covering the varnished wood to try and stop any condensation sitting on the wood.
Then it's covered with thick pond liner sealed with marine safe sylicone after being secured with staples and then more lino on top round the exposed edges glued and sealed to try to prevent any water getting behind the liner.
Then we put a U shaped pipe in the bottom running diagonally across the length of the cage.
We drilled holes in the top and sides to allow water in then Co reed with material that you'd find to stop weeds growing.
Let's just water through. This is to stop the drainage holes getting clogged by the drainage stones that we put on next. Then another layer of that material. Then compost for plants then plenty of soil with no pesticides etc which we mixed with drainage stones also to aid good drainage.

The tops of the U Bend stick above the soil so we can syphon any excess water if needs be. These holes are then covered when not in use.

I wonder if there would be a way to install some kind of little "lift pump" in there the help w/ the removal of water. a syphon and drainage water isn't anything I'd want to put near my mouth. :p Good work.

Yeah I imagine you'd find something!
Yeah the syphoning may be a job for the Mr when needs be haha haha! !
Maybe a big syringe to suck the air out to start it off or something?
May have to look into pump devices though! Don't fancy sucking on that hahaha!:eek:

Oh wow he'd love that haha!
I bought him a Valentino Rossi helmet in carbon fibre. The same mold as what Valentino wears and it has his number on it but nothing signed!!! Try to get pic of his bike to show you.:D

In there I have bromeliads,Devils ivy, jasmine,umbrella tree, yucca,moth orchids (not artificially dyed ones which the blue ones almost always are I almost fell for that one).
There are quite a few safe plant lists on the Internet. Google it.
I think there's one on this forum somewhere too??

If your ever unsure just Google the name of the plant as well as your question is it safe for chameleons and usually there's something on it somewhere. :)
I spent ages in b&q searching on my phone to check for suitable plants haha!
I like hibiscus too we have one but we're not sure where to put it yet haha!

Hey so I'm in the process of doing my first build for my two veileds (splitting it in half for a dual cage). You have any step by step pics or anything because your build looks exactly like what I'm going for.....great enclosure BTW looks amazing

fa7328238973bc171e920c131d2587be.jpg

This is where I am so far. Dimensions are 4x2x6. Each enclosure will be 2x2x4.

Back
Top Bottom