update on my lil cham

joefromtoronto

ok,so for those of u who dont know,ive had some issues with my cham.
he hasnt eaten in days and he just sits there most of the day with his eyes closed,,his colour is good,he drinks water everytime i mist him,and when he does move his eyes are loking around like they should be,i have him in a mesh cage,with lots of cover the right lighting too, so i have no clue what his problem is,so today i went back to the store i purchased him and told them everything,they said to use a nocturnal heat lamp for him because of the weather changing in my area and the heat isnt on in the house yet,so that might be his problem,and to throw 10 to 15 crickets in there to catch his attention,so i bought the nocturnal heat lamp but havent put the crickets in yet,,what do u guys think of this???.,ill have pics up as soon as i can

Joe, I'm in Burlington. Unless your temperatures in your home are below the 60's consistently, I wouldn't think that is the problem. And the chameleon benefits from mild temperature drops at night- as do most living things. Bodies need time to rest and slow pace, as well as process the nutrients they are absorbing, cold blooded or warm blooded.

Drinking is a good sign. It may come to a time where you need to make a food paste and assist feed by putting it inside his lips while he is drinking.

Crickets need to come out at night, so keep that in mind before many throwing crickets in. also, that much movement may frighten it.

ya,but i have his cage in the basement,so i figured he might be right about the temp fluxation,,alsothe bottom of my cage doesnt have a drainage system in it,can i just put paparer towel down?

All of mine are in a bsement too. I sleep with the windows slightly open even these nights.m (also in the basement)

Last edited:
I wish I could tell you what the problem is with your chameleon.

What I can tell you is that if its not a simple husbandry issue (like correct temperature) then you need to take your chameleon to a vet. Not eating and sitting most of the time sleeping is not normal...and he won't likely do this for long before things get worse.

From what I have read, swollen eyes are a sign of vitamin A deficiency...but to the best of my knowledge just keeping them shut isn't. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

Does he gape and sit with his head raised in the air slightly at all?

Is he pooping? Do you have a substrate in the cage?

Do you have a UVB tube light on the cage? Does the light from it pass through glass or plastic? Does he get any direct sunlight?

What do you supplement/dust the insects with? (Please give the brands too.) How often with each?

What do you feed/gutload the insects with? (Please be specific with this too.)

What are the basking temperatures?

How do you provide water?

Did you wash any plants (real or artificial) before putting them in the cage?

Hope you can figure out what is wrong and that your chameleon will be okay.

Too Many Crickets

From what I have read too many crickets is a bad thing.. They will eat his flesh and since yours isn't moving he would be a easy target. So I wouldn't go tossing in 15 crickets.

ok so i did what the guy at the store told me to do,i had no choice,,and when i woke up in the morning,i misted his cage he woke up right away,started drinking like crazy,then attacked 4 crickets,,yayyyyyyy,,it worked,and he has been climbing around all day so far,he looks very healthy now,i have some pics ill sho u,,but hes peeling so he doesnt look amazing,but to me he does cause hes finally awake,lo

im trying to figure out how to upload pics onto here,,,i added a night time heat lamp that mimics the moon lite,and through in 10 crickets like the guy at the store told me too

beacuse its starting to get a lil cold here in toronto at night so the temp the drops in the basement where i have him,so an extra heat lamp at night is what he needed i guess,,,,,can u tell me how to upload pics on here

Im quite skeptical, I thinkk it was juct a coincidence that you had the lamp there. Youve never told us how cool it is ithout the light at night...

Back
Top Bottom