**update on gaping chameleon**

EmmasKarma

I posted not too long ago that my chameleon, Karma was gaping and everybody said 'Respatory Infection'.. I took her to the vets today and like I suspected, it was much worse but most of you were right...she has;

Parasites
Worms
Respatory Infection
Metabolic Bone Disease
Underweight.

She IS underweight which made her look much younger than her age (8 Months)...as picture shows below. She's on a 50/50 chance of dying or coming back from this. She was wormed and treated for parasites, unfortunately she wasn't able to be gave the injection as she's too thin to inject. She's also on antibiotics, one drop in her mouth for the next 15 days (which she's not happy about...a lot of biting lol) and bathed in ReptiBoost, once daily... (again not happy about lol, a lot of hissing) ….got her superworms today! As all she was being fed on was Waxworms...like feeding a child chocolate everyday. Hopefully I can get her on the straight and narrow but if she doesn't at least I tried. The vets were that shocked of her condition they're going with Animal Welfare to investigate it, because the conditions I saw the other animals (chameleons included) in are just not right. Thanks everybody for the messages and ideas of how to treat her, fingers crossed she gets better!

(The photo is after she'd eaten so you can imagine how thin she is!)

Attachments

• Karma....jpg
    Karma....jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 63
I’m happy she made it to the vet. I wish you both the best you have a rough journey ahead. Good luck and positive vibes

Ty! and yes we do, more for Karma though! :( Only time will tell, just heartbreaking that such a outgoing cute lil chameleon could be treated so badly...ty again!

I guess the question would be what caused the ri and how to change the environment or diet to eliminate that from happening agian

"Bathed in Reptiboost"? Isn't reptiboost a powder supplement you put on feeders?

Yes 'Repti' do loads of different things, supplements, water purifiers and in this case a 'booster' it was gave to me by a vet, it's got loads of things in it to help her and in this case it was recommended that I bathe her in it just so she can absorb everything :)

I guess the question would be what caused the ri and how to change the environment or diet to eliminate that from happening agian

I'll probably never know, the environment she was living in was AWFUL! I rescued her and unfortunately didn't see the full extent to what was happening to her, all I can do is give her the proper essential care she needs.

Yes 'Repti' do loads of different things, supplements, water purifiers and in this case a 'booster' it was gave to me by a vet, it's got loads of things in it to help her and in this case it was recommended that I bathe her in it just so she can absorb everything :)
Whoa, whoa, whoa....

Your vet said to bathe her!? Can you please explain exactly what the vet told you to do?

Whoa, whoa, whoa....

Your vet said to bathe her!? Can you please explain exactly what the vet told you to do?

To soak her in the water once daily until the antibiotics are done, it's not really a bath, it's just a few mins of pouring lukewarm water around her back and legs, if I put her in a bath she'd freak lol plus the vet has been an exotic pet vet for years upon years, she knows what she's talking about

To soak her in the water once daily until the antibiotics are done, it's not really a bath, it's just a few mins of pouring lukewarm water around her back and legs, if I put her in a bath she'd freak lol plus the vet has been an exotic pet vet for years upon years, she knows what she's talking about
No, she does not lol. There is no mechanism in chameleon biology that allows them to absorb ANYTHING through their skin. They can not absorb anything through their vent. This is wrong and should be discontinued immediately.

I don’t blame you for taking the advice of a vet over one random voice on the internet. Please do a bit of research and I trust you’ll come to the same conclusion. Hopefully.

We see this kind of thing a few times a month and I can guarantee you there is no benefit to it. Only stress.

I just want to be sure you are following the directions properly. I'm not trying to attack you or your vet. I just want the best for your chameleon.

I know you're not. I am following the directions completely as she said, I even asked her twice to be sure, I want what's best for Karma. I won't be sloppy or lazy with vets orders, I'm doing what is right for her.

Back
Top Bottom