Update on Conway!

C0nwayy

Hihihihi!
Made some changes on his enclosure and added a flower pot. (It doesn’t have any chemicals or insecticides, I made sure of that).
I got these black-ish crickets and around 170 black soldier fly larvae, he’s 3 months old now and he’s doing great. :^) He also started eating some apple, as he trusts me tong-feeding him, and is slowly learning to climb on my hand.
E05966AB-ADED-47A6-BE06-345FDB1D3E15.jpeg
5605D79B-7BE7-4C26-9B14-D61B38D3F712.jpeg
305BB6C0-A5FF-4948-B264-7F2BD4F97C09.jpeg

Attachments

• 49A1534A-14B6-446D-89E1-4501D04C5791.jpeg
    49A1534A-14B6-446D-89E1-4501D04C5791.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 73
Is that a chrysanthemum? Make sure Conway doesn't eat much of it- members of the mum family produce natural insecticidal compounds (and a few other irritants).
There's some debate on their safety for reptiles, but it seems the petals are safe while the foliage and base of the flowers are poisonous!

Hihihihi!
Made some changes on his enclosure and added a flower pot. (It doesn’t have any chemicals or insecticides, I made sure of that).
I got these black-ish crickets and around 170 black soldier fly larvae, he’s 3 months old now and he’s doing great. :^) He also started eating some apple, as he trusts me tong-feeding him, and is slowly learning to climb on my hand.
View attachment 282224View attachment 282226View attachment 282225
Are you sure its a he? The casque looks pretty small but I could be wrong

It might be a good idea to refer to the chameleon safe plant list, especially those that have been 'veiled tested' since they are known to munch on leaves.

Is that a chrysanthemum? Make sure Conway doesn't eat much of it- members of the mum family produce natural insecticidal compounds (and a few other irritants).
There's some debate on their safety for reptiles, but it seems the petals are safe while the foliage and base of the flowers are poisonous!

Luckily, he only climbs around the plant. As for the petals, he’s only munched on one because there was a BSF larvae on it. He spends most of his time on the wood sticks, he loves moving food :,) dad gifted it to me because he didn’t want him to have the plastic leafs in his enclosure, I’m unsure if leaving the plant in there or taking it out now. Good thing is, the humidity doesn’t get down from 30%.

I really took a look on the net about chrysanthemums for chameleons or reptiles in general, and found nothing. Not even in spanish ):

I really took a look on the net about chrysanthemums for chameleons or reptiles in general, and found nothing. Not even in spanish ):

There's a few discussions on forums for tortoises and iguanas, which are two places I go when I can't find much on chameleons specifically. Here's a couple of places I referenced:
Garden mums, like the one you have, are derived from Chinese chrysanthemums and are less toxic than European chrysanthemums. But they still produce pyrethrin (an insecticide), sesquiterpene lactones (GI irritant) and other gastrointestinal irritants.

That said, these things don't appear to be deadly in moderate amounts. Just unpleasant, which may or may not deter your chameleon from munching on it. I'd personally replace it with something safer, but it's up to you!

There's a few discussions on forums for tortoises and iguanas, which are two places I go when I can't find much on chameleons specifically. Here's a couple of places I referenced:
Garden mums, like the one you have, are derived from Chinese chrysanthemums and are less toxic than European chrysanthemums. But they still produce pyrethrin (an insecticide), sesquiterpene lactones (GI irritant) and other gastrointestinal irritants.

That said, these things don't appear to be deadly in moderate amounts. Just unpleasant, which may or may not deter your chameleon from munching on it. I'd personally replace it with something safer, but it's up to you!

I’m taking a look on better plants because, my boy’s growing so fast so I’m gonna buy him a bigger cage :)

Back
Top Bottom