Update on Charlie

rcc760

We just got home from the vet and things are okay I guess. We were prescribed some anti inflammatories to work with the antibiotics, and we hope this will help the swelling. It seems the spitting the tongue out is from discomfort. I just have to keep an eye on her to make sure she’s pulling her tongue back in each time.

She passed a nice healthy poop on the way to the vet, so I had a fecal done. She unfortunately has parasites. We have the meds for that too, and they should clear up soon. I’ve been thinking she’s kinda small for her age, and Dr. Moore said it could be that the parasites are stunting her growth. Hopefully she’ll start growing faster after this!

Charlie has had a stressful day and I think she’s beginning to hate me haha. She hissed when I walked by her cage a few minutes ago

Overall, she’s doing okay.

Attachments

• A5FABDA8-50B4-4916-88C7-63F7802F0FDC.jpeg
    A5FABDA8-50B4-4916-88C7-63F7802F0FDC.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 70
On the search bar type in Coccidia and you will find lots of information that other handlers have delt with.

I will have to disinfect this weekend, and I’ll repeat that weekly until she’s given the all-clear. I’m now worried about my cats contracting the parasites too. They don’t come in contact with her, but I’m sure I’ve accidentally touched them before washing my hands after touching her.

It’s weird, I never noticed symptoms associated with parasites. No appetite loss, nothing. The only reason we tested her feces was because she pooped on the way there and it was available to do so.

I hope she pulls through this with no issue.

Thanks again!

Oh yes, I have had to deal with it before. What meds did they give her for it? I’m going to get you a link or two about the clean up. If you don’t clean everything properly she will reinfest herself.

Unfortunately, Albon. I know that’s not recommended, but that’s what they had :/ she never displayed any symptoms and her appetite has been fine—she’s only not been eating because of her tongue issues. I’m hoping the Albon will work okay for her.

I’ll do the clean up this weekend, after I can get the peroxide and stuff.

Do I need to dilute the peroxide to clean with it? From what I’ve seen, I should spray her cage with it, let it sit, then rinse it really well? Soak accessories with it for a while then rinse really well? Does that sound right?

I can not believe Dr. Greek’s office gave you Albon. Chameleon keepers have not used Albon in many years. It usually stops them from eating on the 3rd day. It’s not good for a healthy chameleon much less one that already has problems. I would make them order the Ponazuril and not give the Albon.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/chameleons-and-coccidia-ponazuril-offers-new-hope.16409/

If I remember correctly it’s a 50/50 mix. It should say in the clean up link.

I can not believe Dr. Greek’s office gave you Albon. Chameleon keepers have not used Albon in many years. It usually stops them from eating on the 3rd day. It’s not good for a healthy chameleon much less one that already has problems. I would make them order the Ponazuril and not give the Albon.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/chameleons-and-coccidia-ponazuril-offers-new-hope.16409/

If I remember correctly it’s a 50/50 mix. It should say in the clean up link.

Yeah, I’m a little surprised too. I’ll call them in the morning and see what they say about Ponazuril. I mean, I already have to assist feed because of her tongue, but I don’t want her to deteriorate. Hopefully they can get me the Ponazuril.

I only see the Ponazuril thread, but I’ll do some more research about cleaning.

Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom