Upcoming Deal on Sansi 70W Grow Lights

Return it if you're not comfortable.
There are other options for lighting such as T5, or you could go with LED strip lights like the ones they use for under counter lighting. I've used these

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GPQFHH...abc_74ND1MPET0MM81GMRZYT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
They come in different lengths and different color Temps, many choices.
You just put as many as you want (or will fit) on top of the enclosure. I'd show you a pic of them set up, but their lights are out for the night.
I get your hesitation over LEDs. I have pretty much always been in the same boat. But I don't think they would intentionally look at the light any more than they would look at the yellow ball in the wild sky. If there was an insect crawling across, sure. But I don't think they stare at the light and ponder life's mysteries while they wait for their next meal.
There are many, many keepers of many, many different kinds of reptiles who have been using LED for a long time, back before we had the understanding of LED's that we do today. And I have never come across any documentation or stories of animals in the extremely diverse group of Reptilia being blinded by them.

I’d be interested in seeing pics of your LED’s too when possible. I haven’t taken the plunge on the Sansi grow lights yet. I’m also concerned things may get too hot if the grow lights are too close to my ceiling. In regards to the T5, I already have a T5 daylight that came with my Arcadia 6% dual fluorescent fixture. Thoughts on using this in conjunction with LED’s, or using only this one daylight bulb with no LED’s for a 24 x 24 x 48 enclosure? It was suggested to me to ditch the T5 daylight bulb, but I‘d like to get a variety of opinions on this and make my decision from there. Thank you!

Run a bulb next to your uvb in that fixture. But if you want strong plant growth, you're gonna need more than those two T5 Bulbs.
Plants will probably grow with just that fixture, but will be leggy and weak.

Run a bulb next to your uvb in that fixture. But if you want strong plant growth, you're gonna need more than those two T5 Bulbs.
Plants will probably grow with just that fixture, but will be leggy and weak.
How many of the integrated T5 LED lights would you personally recommend using in conjunction with the T5 daylight bulb?

**editing to ask the following: the 4 ft lights would be too long for my enclosure. Just checking to confirm this is the same type of light, but shorter?

https://www.amazon.com/Kihung-Cabin...D+T5+Integrated+Fixture+2ft,tools,728&sr=1-10

As many as you can fit on the enclosure lol
I think IIRC that 8 can be daisy chained together. 6 or 8, depending on the size and manufacturer . The ones I linked are only a little over an inch wide. So you can squeeze quite a few on top of a 24x24x48
But keep in mind , they are made to diffuse light. They will not have the same "punch" as an LED plant light would. The light will not penetrate as deep or as strong.

As many as you can fit on the enclosure lol
I think IIRC that 8 can be daisy chained together. 6 or 8, depending on the size and manufacturer . The ones I linked are only a little over an inch wide. So you can squeeze quite a few on top of a 24x24x48
But keep in mind , they are made to diffuse light. They will not have the same "punch" as an LED plant light would. The light will not penetrate as deep or as strong.
Makes sense, thank you for the Info! I think I’m still digging the Sansi option a little more so far, but have concerns about the heat the top of the fixture generates and the distance from the top of the cage to where my ceiling will be. I’ll start my own thread so as not to keep hijacking this one, however! Thank you again for your help

I’d be interested in seeing pics of your LED’s too when possible. I haven’t taken the plunge on the Sansi grow lights yet. I’m also concerned things may get too hot if the grow lights are too close to my ceiling. In regards to the T5, I already have a T5 daylight that came with my Arcadia 6% dual fluorescent fixture. Thoughts on using this in conjunction with LED’s, or using only this one daylight bulb with no LED’s for a 24 x 24 x 48 enclosure? It was suggested to me to ditch the T5 daylight bulb, but I‘d like to get a variety of opinions on this and make my decision from there. Thank you!
How much space between enclosure top and ceiling?

You'd need at least 3 T5 fluorescents to equal the output of the Sansi 70W, and don't know that they'd have the same penetration.
IDK what another dual fixture would cost, but in addition to the 3 initial bulbs, you'll need 12 more (replacements) to match the 5 yr. lifespan of the LED pad.

Bottom line, the fluorescents wil cost more over 5 years than the LEDs.

Also, IDK if it matters to you, but ALL fluorescent tubes currently contain mercury, and many localities consider fluorescent tubes as hazardous waste. Check with your locality.
They should be disposed of properly, and some localities charge for this, which should realistically be added to the cost of these lights. LEDs and incandescent bulbs are not considered hazardous, and can be disposed of like other trash.

How much space between enclosure top and ceiling?

You'd need at least 3 T5 fluorescents to equal the output of the Sansi 70W, and don't know that they'd have the same penetration.
IDK what another dual fixture would cost, but in addition to the 3 initial bulbs, you'll need 12 more (replacements) to match the 5 yr. lifespan of the LED pad.

Bottom line, the fluorescents wil cost more over 5 years than the LEDs.

Also, IDK if it matters to you, but ALL fluorescent tubes currently contain mercury, and many localities consider fluorescent tubes as hazardous waste. Check with your locality.
They should be disposed of properly, and some localities charge for this, which should realistically be added to the cost of these lights. LEDs and incandescent bulbs are not considered hazardous, and can be disposed of like other trash.

I’ll have my cage bottom on 2 inch risers, so there will only be a distance of 12 1/2 or so inches between my fixtures across the cage top and the ceiling.

Your points about cost of use/efficiency definitely make sense, and it does bother me that the Mercury content in fluorescent bulbs are less than environmentally friendly. My state does in fact consider fluorescent bulbs to be hazardous waste because of the mercury they contain. I’d definitely prefer to cut down on that and in general like the sound of the Sansi LEDS the more I look at other options. Really, my concerns came down to the heat the top of the fixture generates, as well as the brightness of the lights within the fixture and my chameleon hanging right below them. Again, I’m over thinking this!

As I type this, I’m purchasing a 70w LED grow light with a coupon. $39.99! Not bad.

Back
Top Bottom