Upcoming Deal on Sansi 70W Grow Lights

I don't know if you saw it, but I recently rearranged mine in the double-wide.
I originally had them each centered on their half, with the basking lamp between, but this seemed to confuse the cham—he tried to bask under each and never under the warmer basking light. I've since put them together, and tilted the basking light to shine beneath them.

He's feeling MUCH better now. 😁

I just got my sansi light in today and am concerned because the instructions talk about how hot it gets as well as saying not to put it where any person or animal will look at it because it can cause eye damage so why am I putting this on top of my enclosure?

I just got my sansi light in today and am concerned because the instructions talk about how hot it gets as well as saying not to put it where any person or animal will look at it because it can cause eye damage so why am I putting this on top of my enclosure?
Sooo.....
Pretty much any intense light (LED or otherwise, including the sun) can damage your eyesight if you look at long enough.
That said, I definitely think an LED-type of grow light will do more damage (and quicker) than any of the other options currently out there.
I didn't like how intense the fixture was, so I pick up a light diffuser panel and cut sections to put between the fixture and the screen top. (I have the fixture sitting directly on the top). It definitely seems to help mellow the LEDs.

Regarding the heat, I hadn't thought about it. Didn't read the instructions. But I just checked, had my hand palm-down so the back of my hand was against the fixture, and after a bit of time it was warm. Not sure I would call it hot, but definitely warm. Now the top of the fixture, that's a different story- that gets HOT.
If your cham was doing screen yoga and decided to park his rump upside down in that spot for an extended period of time, then maybe he could possibly get too hot. But any time my guys go inverted, they are on the move. Not hanging around in any one place for very long.

Attachments

• 20210702_215413.jpg
    20210702_215413.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210702_215420.jpg
    20210702_215420.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 63
For the plants.

Seems like everything has cautions & warnings nowadays.
https://www.rd.com/list/funny-warning-labels/

I have a couple of these lights, and we just ordered 2 more. I've accidentally looked into them, but not gotten so much as a blue dot. "Full spectrum" in this case does not (TMK) extend into the UV ranges. Here's the spectrum of the Sansi 70W LED plant light:
1625282572819.png

Source: https://www.sansiled.com/blog/how-can-a-full-spectrum-grow-light-affect-your-plants-grow.html

The heat all rises. The top will get quite warm, but the bottom stays much cooler. Mine are mounted less than an inch above the top (screen) of my enclosure, and I can keep the back of my hand against the screen there indefinitely. My chameleon has hung on the ceiling directly below them for a half hour at a time, and never been burned.

Basking lights put out many times the heat in the downward direction.

I’m worried about my chams eyesight.
They don't stare into the Sun, so why would they stare into the plant lights? :unsure:

Mine looks around (I surmise) for predators, bugs, lady chameleons, and routes of egress (and he seems to like looking out the window), but I've never seen him looking up at any of the lights. 🤷‍♂️

Return it if you're not comfortable.
There are other options for lighting such as T5, or you could go with LED strip lights like the ones they use for under counter lighting. I've used these

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GPQFHH...abc_74ND1MPET0MM81GMRZYT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
They come in different lengths and different color Temps, many choices.
You just put as many as you want (or will fit) on top of the enclosure. I'd show you a pic of them set up, but their lights are out for the night.
I get your hesitation over LEDs. I have pretty much always been in the same boat. But I don't think they would intentionally look at the light any more than they would look at the yellow ball in the wild sky. If there was an insect crawling across, sure. But I don't think they stare at the light and ponder life's mysteries while they wait for their next meal.
There are many, many keepers of many, many different kinds of reptiles who have been using LED for a long time, back before we had the understanding of LED's that we do today. And I have never come across any documentation or stories of animals in the extremely diverse group of Reptilia being blinded by them.

Back
Top Bottom