Unusual behavior

Arrayals

Hi guys. ..

So I have a male veiled, roughly 8 months old, Picasso. We've had him since he was about 3 months old. He's never been handled. The first cage we had him in was a homemade tubular cage, and with the lights on the top/lid it made it very difficult to access him (the bottom was removable for cleaning). He's always been very chill, only ever showed aggression once when moving him to his new enclosure. He's been in the new enclosure for about 2 months now and seems happy as a clam. I always do the feeding, and usually leave the door open while misting/feeding, even when I walk away to grab something, and he's never come toward the door. I spend quite a bit of time with him, just watching him and talking to him (even though I know he can't hear me). I've even started slowly getting him used to me reaching into his cage, holding my hand near him for a few minutes. He looks at it side-eyed but has never hissed/bit/puffed up, nor has he attempted to step onto my hand. He's also never shown interest in leaving his cage.

The last week or so, when I open his cage and begin the feeding/misting routine, he'll randomly "charge" at me. He doesn't seem to be aggressive, no color change, no hissing, etc. He'll be on the complete opposite side of the cage and just randomly run toward me. But as I've never handled him and he's never done this before, it spooked me for sure, so I just gently closed the door before he could escape. This has happened about 4 times now. Once the door shuts, sometimes he will drop his jaw (no hissing), and sometimes he will just stand on his hind legs and just stare at the door.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar or know what he might be doing? It doesn't seem to be an aggressive behavior, and he doesn't seem to mind much when I reach into his cage to feed or mist, so long as I don't get too incredibly close to him. He'll just watch me calmly. In fact, he used to come toward me in his old cage in order for me to mist him directly. As much as I'd love to hold him, I've been hesitant to reach out for him when he comes toward me. I don't want to hold him if that's not what he's after. Any advice would be much appreciated!

@Arrayals Sounds like territorial aggression to me. A bigger cage with a lot more horizontal space often settles them down. I think a 24" x 24" regardless of how tall is too small. Exo-Terra makes a nice screen cage that is about 36" x 18" x 36 I think. Zilla has some screen cages that are 30" x 30" x something like 18". The Zilla cages aren't easy to clean with the bottom fixed to the cage and no access door. The ExoTerra have a service door and the front opens right up.

@Arrayals Sounds like territorial aggression to me. A bigger cage with a lot more horizontal space often settles them down. I think a 24" x 24" regardless of how tall is too small. Exo-Terra makes a nice screen cage that is about 36" x 18" x 36 I think. Zilla has some screen cages that are 30" x 30" x something like 18". The Zilla cages aren't easy to clean with the bottom fixed to the cage and no access door. The ExoTerra have a service door and the front opens right up.

I don't think cage size is an issue.... i built his cage from a curio cabinet that's 18 deep, 30 wide and about 7 feet tall. All sides screened except the back of course. I may try some more foliage. He has several live plants and artificial vines, but with such a large cage, maybe he's feeling exposed. It's just odd that he's not done this since we changed cages 2 months ago, till now anyway.

Thank you for your reply :)

I don't think cage size is an issue.... i built his cage from a curio cabinet that's 18 deep, 30 wide and about 7 feet tall. All sides screened except the back of course. I may try some more foliage. He has several live plants and artificial vines, but with such a large cage, maybe he's feeling exposed. It's just odd that he's not done this since we changed cages 2 months ago, till now anyway.

Thank you for your reply :)

Their cage size in the wild is a 15 or 20 foot tall tree, so any cage you build is "small" to a male. Your male is reaching maturity and they often become quite territorial as they mature. Your chameleon is quite lucky to have such a wonderfully large cage.

Their cage size in the wild is a 15 or 20 foot tall tree, so any cage you build is "small" to a male. Your male is reaching maturity and they often become quite territorial as they mature. Your chameleon is quite lucky to have such a wonderfully large cage.

Awww, thank you. That's very nice of you to say. Between my daughter and I, we have 5 cats, a dog, a scorpion, two hermit crabs, and 4 betas... plus our chameleon. And they are all spoiled rotten! Picasso is my favorite though. Chameleons are so fascinating just to watch. And I just really wanted him to have as much space and an environment as realistic as possible. So I spent about a week overhauling the curio cabinet, and it turned out fantastic. I have 156 ft of fake ivy coming to add, but what's in the cage now is all live plants. I've added one other large live plant since I took these pics. In the bottom of the cage below where Picasso is chillin. I'll attach pics.

Attachments

• 20161214_215507.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 286
  • 20161214_215603.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 265
Back
Top Bottom