Unsure of Hornworms

Capsicums&Reptiles

Established Member
So,I gave Gizmo his first hornworm today,and he wasn't too sure of it.
It's still in his feeding cup.

Currently he's been partial to dubia and bsfl.
He occasionally gets wax worms and super worms as treats.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get a Chameleon to try new feeders?

The best thing I have found with a new feeder is to put it on a branch or on the screen always at basking level where the Cham hangs out. They will figure it out but having them crawling around at that level will trigger the instincts to hunt. Just make sure the feeder is size appropriate. :)

So,I gave Gizmo his first hornworm today,and he wasn't too sure of it.
It's still in his feeding cup.

Currently he's been partial to dubia and bsfl.
He occasionally gets wax worms and super worms as treats.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get a Chameleon to try new feeders?

Wait 15 minutes...

I am being a little fictitious, but it’s true. They seem to shift preferences quite easily. One day they love one feeder and the next day they look at you like you’re trying to poison them. Just keep offering a variety and he will eventually bite.

Wait 15 minutes...

I am being a little fictitious, but it’s true. They seem to shift preferences quite easily. One day they love one feeder and the next day they look at you like you’re trying to poison them. Just keep offering a variety and he will eventually bite.
Wait 15 minutes :hilarious: so funny and so true!

Reactions: iMi
The best thing I have found with a new feeder is to put it on a branch or on the screen always at basking level where the Cham hangs out. They will figure it out but having them crawling around at that level will trigger the instincts to hunt. Just make sure the feeder is size appropriate. :)

I got 3/4" hornworms.
He enjoys hunting around for roaches,so I'll have to try putting it on a branch or screen as per your recommendation.
Thank you for the advice.

I got 3/4" hornworms.
He enjoys hunting around for roaches,so I'll have to try putting it on a branch or screen as per your recommendation.
Thank you for the advice.
Your welcome. The horns are great for putting in the cage because they can grip on to anything lol. Once he gets a taste for them he will love them. :)

IMG_20190405_224326.jpg

So,still no luck with hornworms.
Not sure if it's because he's a bit spoiled on dubia or if they scare him,but,he just will not give them a chance,regardless of how I try feeding them.

I'm pretty certain they're not too big for him.
Might have to try silkworms instead.

Last edited:
My guys loved them initially. Clarice still likes them but Charlie won’t touch them now. Must be burned out. He also isn’t interested in silkworms most days.

They go through phases. Maybe try again in a few months.

He's right around the 6 month mark.
I've never used them before,so,maybe he's afraid of them.

He loves dubia,bsfl,silkworms and super worms.
He liked crickets for awhile,now he won't touch them either,so I've been trying hornworms to no avail.

So,I was unsuccessful with the attempt at getting Gizmo to try hornworms.
They ended up getting massive lol.
So,I've decided to use this as an opportunity to teach my son about metamorphosis.
Already have them all set up for pupation.

Back
Top Bottom