Unsure about my chameleon

Sid_V

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Male I believe, he's about 6? months, unsure. I got him from a Petstore.
  • Handling - More often now, but it was one or twice a week, he loved to climb all over you.
  • Feeding - Superworms, just switched to wax since I believe he's sick. Unsure the amount, but I would say about 10 med/large worms, but wax's only a couple since he got sick. Fed in afternoons.
  • Supplements - I used to give him calcium with d3 dust, but I just switched him to liquid vitamin drop and calcium drops since he got sick.
  • Watering - Right now he drinks right from the dropper, but he used to straight from his misting bottle. Misting was twice a day.
  • Fecal Description - I am unsure.
  • History - I did take him to a vet recently, and he was getting better (by my own accord and reading from the forms here) but today he threw up his wax worms from two days ago and A LOT of liquid.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - He normally lives in a reptibreeze medium cage.
  • Lighting - Unbeknownst to me I was not aware I was using the wrong lighting. I switched him last week to the exo terra UVB 100, and I believe a 70 watt basking bulb.
  • Temperature- Generally 83-85.
  • Humidity - Normally 73%. Humidity by misting.
  • Plants - No.
  • Placement - Living Room.
  • Location - Upstate NY.
The problem right now with him is the excessive vomit, poop, and he keeps gaping his mouth. (Scratch that he is trying to vomit again.)
Would this be a cause of him not ingesting enough food to go with his vitamins?
PLEASE NOTE: The tank he is in is not his normal, I use this to monitor reptiles closely when they do get sick.

Attachments

• 82224077_446880406256587_3506203939433349120_n.jpg
    82224077_446880406256587_3506203939433349120_n.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 112
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Male I believe, he's about 6? months, unsure. I got him from a Petstore. he looks to be older more around the 9 month mark but his growth looks stunted because of his MBD which is severe
  • Handling - More often now, but it was one or twice a week, he loved to climb all over you they shouldn't be handles and more often it can stress them out more to be handled frequently, I handle every other week when I deep clean the cage.
  • Feeding - Superworms, just switched to wax since I believe he's sick. Unsure the amount, but I would say about 10 med/large worms, but wax's only a couple since he got sick. Fed in afternoons. you need to be feeding a variety like silkworms, crickets and roaches (dubia. orange head. ivory. hissers), those are all okay staple diets, not wax or superworms.
  • Supplements - I used to give him calcium with d3 dust, but I just switched him to liquid vitamin drop and calcium drops since he got sick. you should be using calcium without d3 every day, calcium with d3 twice a month and alternating weeks use a multivitamin. there is a certain amount of d3 a chameleon can have before they over do it.
  • Watering - Right now he drinks right from the dropper, but he used to straight from his misting bottle. Misting was twice a day. how long???
  • Fecal Description - I am unsure. what color and how runny and how big
  • History - I did take him to a vet recently, and he was getting better (by my own accord and reading from the forms here) but today he threw up his wax worms from two days ago and A LOT of liquid. what did the vet say about him.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - He normally lives in a reptibreeze medium cage. the minimum for a veiled should be a reptibreeze xl 2x2x4
  • Lighting - Unbeknownst to me I was not aware I was using the wrong lighting. I switched him last week to the exo terra UVB 100, and I believe a 70 watt basking bulb. I think what you have is compact. I'm not sure on the model but this is the main source of his MBD besides incorrect supplementation. you need a linear uvb 12% or 10.0. make sure you have a white bulb for heating.
  • Temperature- Generally 83-85. it should be somewhere around 90 for basking with ambient of around 75
  • Humidity - Normally 73%. Humidity by misting. humidity should be 30 to 50% for a veiled.
  • Plants - No.
  • Location - Upstate NY.
The problem right now with him is the excessive vomit, poop, and he keeps gaping his mouth. (Scratch that he is trying to vomit again.)
PLEASE NOTE: The tank he is in is not his normal, I use this to monitor reptiles closely when they do get sick.

please see my notes in red

At this point his body is so jacked up hes seeming to reject most fluids and food. set up a hospital bin asap and syringe feed some fluids to him. be careful when syringe feeding and make sure you know where his esophagus is, how long have you had him????

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Male I believe, he's about 6? months, unsure. I got him from a Petstore. he looks to be older more around the 9 month mark but his growth looks stunted because of his MBD which is severe
  • Handling - More often now, but it was one or twice a week, he loved to climb all over you they shouldn't be handles and more often it can stress them out more to be handled frequently, I handle every other week when I deep clean the cage.
  • Feeding - Superworms, just switched to wax since I believe he's sick. Unsure the amount, but I would say about 10 med/large worms, but wax's only a couple since he got sick. Fed in afternoons. you need to be feeding a variety like silkworms, crickets and roaches (dubia. orange head. ivory. hissers), those are all okay staple diets, not wax or superworms.
  • Supplements - I used to give him calcium with d3 dust, but I just switched him to liquid vitamin drop and calcium drops since he got sick. you should be using calcium without d3 every day, calcium with d3 twice a month and alternating weeks use a multivitamin. there is a certain amount of d3 a chameleon can have before they over do it.
  • Watering - Right now he drinks right from the dropper, but he used to straight from his misting bottle. Misting was twice a day. how long???
  • Fecal Description - I am unsure. what color and how runny and how big
  • History - I did take him to a vet recently, and he was getting better (by my own accord and reading from the forms here) but today he threw up his wax worms from two days ago and A LOT of liquid. what did the vet say about him.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - He normally lives in a reptibreeze medium cage. the minimum for a veiled should be a reptibreeze xl 2x2x4
  • Lighting - Unbeknownst to me I was not aware I was using the wrong lighting. I switched him last week to the exo terra UVB 100, and I believe a 70 watt basking bulb. I think what you have is compact. I'm not sure on the model but this is the main source of his MBD besides incorrect supplementation. you need a linear uvb 12% or 10.0. make sure you have a white bulb for heating.
  • Temperature- Generally 83-85. it should be somewhere around 90 for basking with ambient of around 75
  • Humidity - Normally 73%. Humidity by misting. humidity should be 30 to 50% for a veiled.
  • Plants - No.
  • Location - Upstate NY.

please see my notes in red

At this point his body is so jacked up hes seeming to reject most fluids and food. set up a hospital bin asap and syringe feed some fluids to him. be careful when syringe feeding and make sure you know where his esophagus is, how long have you had him????
I have had him for a few months. Right now we have a humidifer in the bin he's in with his uvb and a heating bulb. I may have over done the d3 which I was not aware of ( He is my first tropical pet.) I only swapped to the wax for now since their soft and pure mush, just so he would eat something..anything.

I have had him for a few months. Right now we have a humidifer in the bin he's in with his uvb and a heating bulb. I may have over done the d3 which I was not aware of ( He is my first tropical pet.) I only swapped to the wax for now since their soft and pure mush, just so he would eat something..anything.
okay right now what he needs is hydration. mash up a worm or two and try to feed it to him with some water

okay right now what he needs is hydration. mash up a worm or two and try to feed it to him with some water
Most certainly. He was drinking oodles of water out of a dropper, but I am almost certain he just threw it all up today. (EDIT) Would it help if I fed him a variety of Vita bugs since he's lacking in his vitamins for the time being?

Most certainly. He was drinking oodles of water out of a dropper, but I am almost certain he just threw it all up today. (EDIT) Would it help if I fed him a variety of Vita bugs since he's lacking in his vitamins for the time being?
what exactly are vita bugs... they sound very much not like the feeders I just mentioned... jkjk but seriously I wouldn't. not if he wont keep food down. like what type of bugs are vita bugs???

Your chameleon has bad MBD. It needs to be corrected ASAP. Not only does it mean his bones are weak but his muscles and other systems are too.

He needs to see a vet ASAP so you can get some liquid calcium and have the vet test to see how bad the bones, etc are. If you don't do it soon your chameleon will die. I don't like that he's throwing up, etc.

To correct this, in addition to the liquid calcium he needs proper supplementing and a variety of well fed/gutloaded insects, proper UVB and proper temperatures to help him through this all. Any deformations and bent bones will likely remain but he should still be able to do ok in life.

This might help...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-like-how-it-happens-and-how-to-fix-it.95071/

What did the vet say about him?

Last edited:
what exactly are vita bugs... they sound very much not like the feeders I just mentioned... jkjk but seriously I wouldn't. not if he wont keep food down. like what type of bugs are vita bugs???
Sorry! I just saw the message. This is right from the website description " Vita-Bugs®. The patent pending feed enhances the content of critical nutrients in feeder insects therefore reducing the need to dust or gut-load. Vita-Bug® insects raised on our patent pending feed have been proven to maintain the increased vitamin and nutrient levels throughout their growing process, unlike most gut-loading or dusting techniques that expel their improvements in short time. "

Sorry! I just saw the message. This is right from the website description " Vita-Bugs®. The patent pending feed enhances the content of critical nutrients in feeder insects therefore reducing the need to dust or gut-load. Vita-Bug® insects raised on our patent pending feed have been proven to maintain the increased vitamin and nutrient levels throughout their growing process, unlike most gut-loading or dusting techniques that expel their improvements in short time. "
uhhhhh so theyre worms??? crickets??? ill find out lol! but I agree with what has been said above, he needs vet treatment asap

Your chameleon has bad MBD. It needs to be corrected ASAP. Not only does it mean his bones are weak but his muscles and other systems are too.

He needs to see a vet ASAP so you can get some liquid calcium and have the vet test to see how bad the bones, etc are. If you don't do it soon your chameleon will die. I don't like that he's throwing up, etc.

To correct this, in addition to the liquid calcium he needs proper supplementing and a variety of well fed/gutloaded insects, proper UVB and proper temperatures to help him through this all. Any deformations and bent bones will likely remain but he should still be able to do ok in life.

This might help...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-like-how-it-happens-and-how-to-fix-it.95071/

What did the vet say about him?
When I first brought him the vet kind of said he has no idea. I do give him flukers liquid calcium, and the only feeders I have right now are supers. I have his uvb on and his tank that hes in is running about 80 on one side with a humidifier, and roughly 90s on the other.

uhhhhh so theyre worms??? crickets??? ill find out lol! but I agree with what has been said above, he needs vet treatment asap
I really absolutely would if I could. The only vet pretty much said he has no idea, and the only other vet is only in on thursdays, and yes, they range from all sorts of worms to crickets, roaches..it seems like pretty much all.

When I first brought him the vet kind of said he has no idea. I do give him flukers liquid calcium, and the only feeders I have right now are supers. I have his uvb on and his tank that hes in is running about 80 on one side with a humidifier, and roughly 90s on the other.
okay... plan, find a new vet because he has severe mbd and like I said earlier you don't have the proper uvb or supplementation to support him. set him up in a hospital bin. make sure he is in a shorter bin so he cannot fall. and monitor his intake of food and fluids.

Back
Top Bottom