Unknown Eye problem & Hasn't pooped in a week

happiness

I bought this female ambilobe panther from craigslist 8 days ago. The owner told me that she had laid 30 fertile eggs on April 1st. She is about a year old. I'm not sure if it's something in her eye (doesn't look like it) or if its something.. worse. :( The next day I got her, she dug a hole in her egg laying box. She spent a couple hours doing this and eventually retreated to her basking area. She didn't lay any eggs. I'm not sure if this may have caused the eye problem or not. If you zoom into the picture, you can really see it.

She also hasn't pooped since I got her. I've cleaned her cage twice already (18x18x36, temporarily all fake plants) and haven't found anything. She eats great. Fed her two stick bugs so far, a bunch of crickets and dubia roaches and 1-2 superworms (dusted with calcium w/out D supplement) since I got her.. so she's got to be full of waste!

I'm not sure if I should try misting her in the shower or not.. I don't want to cause her any stress but I do want to help. If there is really nothing I can do, I will take her to the vet.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Attachments

• DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC_0016.jpg
    DSC_0016.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 141
Misting her in the shower will probably do her some good. she may have gotten a bit of soil or something in her eye and a good shower session may help her clear it.

You can also try gentle, repeated flushing of her affected eye with a saline solution, which will often clear things up, but if there isn't substantial improvement within a day or so, it's time to see a vet.
I've used this one http://m.cvs.com/mt/www.cvs.com/shop...jtt_v_menu=exp
AND have also used this one by Bausch and Lomb
This Bausch and Lomb solution is made with the same ingredients called Sensitive Eyes Plus http://m.cvs.com/mt/www.cvs.com/search/_/N-0?pt=global&searchTerm=Sensitive+Eyes+Plus&un_form_encoding=utf-8&un_jtt_searchCVS.x=19&un_jtt_searchCVS.y=10.

I would be a little worried about the not pooping. She may have a blockage.

Should I try showering her, or putting her out in the sun? I wanted to put her outside today but I thought it was a bit cold. Is 60F outside too cold for a chameleon to be out?

Should I try showering her, or putting her out in the sun? I wanted to put her outside today but I thought it was a bit cold. Is 60F outside too cold for a chameleon to be out?

For now I would try the warm showering. Not too hot.

Yes, that is too cold. Here is the care sheet for panther chameleons.

Her basking temp is around 85

The temp of the enclosure is anywhere from 70-80. The cage is in a backroom without windows and there's a waterheater in one of the closet.

Her basking temp is around 85

The temp of the enclosure is anywhere from 70-80. The cage is in a backroom without windows and there's a waterheater in one of the closet.

I know with females if you do not want them laying eggs so much then you may lower the basking temperature slightly.

I'm worried that when she went to dig around and then came back up and there were no eggs, that they might be stuck and in turn causing poo to get stuck. If she doesn't poop soon then I would take her to the vet and check for blockage.

I know with females if you do not want them laying eggs so much then you may lower the basking temperature slightly.

I'm worried that when she went to dig around and then came back up and there were no eggs, that they might be stuck and in turn causing poo to get stuck. If she doesn't poop soon then I would take her to the vet and check for blockage.

Could she have possibly had more eggs to lay even though she already laid 30 on the 1st?

You can have her outside if the temp is 60. As long as the sun is out, it will do her good. They live in Madagascar and it gets colder than that.

You can have her outside if the temp is 60. As long as the sun is out, it will do her good. They live in Madagascar and it gets colder than that.

While it may be true that this is where they live in the wild, if they have been generationally bred in a different environment then a drastic drop in temperature will cause stress. If she is taken outside in this temperature then it should not be for long.

Back
Top Bottom