Unique and/or alternative climbing ideas?

lele

Avid Member
Hi All,

Cyrus is struggling a bit adjusting to his impaired vision. I have plenty of branches in his setup - and added more so he has less chance “missing.” He is also using his gym again (with me keeping an eye on him). I want to give him climbing items where he can get a good grip. I bought some sisal rope at HD but when I got it home I noticed a smell and it has been treated with creosote or some sort of oil (not sure why) and I cannot get rid of it so I will NOT be using that. He is also missing some toenails that never grew back from his early screen climbing days so the surfaces can’t be too smooth.

Any pics, suggestions, cool ideas appreciated!

thanks!

get some climbing vines, like the exo-terra or any other brand. or just get some wood dowels and sand em a little and spray some textured paint on them. i like krylon's satin finnish. its not just regular paint with a satin finnish it actually has a semi-rough texture to it. its like $4-5 a can but its really nice. if i can find my can i'll get a pic of the can up so its easier to find.

Cotton rope... is soft and not treated. Or at least sniff before buying. Also, possibly hemp rope from a natural grocery/supply house. Bleach and sun dry all items... Pet store might have bird climbing things that he could enjoy as well. I use a lot of manzanita. I tier it up and around the side of Fractal's cage like a series of steps to get him not to use the mesh. Hope something in there helps, poor baby. (Think how you would want your surrounding if you were blind and how you would want it to stay that way from then on out. ) My heart really goes out to your chameleon.

or just get some wood dowels and sand em a little and spray some textured paint on them. i like krylon's satin finnish. its not just regular paint with a satin finnish it actually has a semi-rough texture to it. its like $4-5 a can but its really nice. if i can find my can i'll get a pic of the can up so its easier to find.

Is it like "sand paint"? My only concern would be that some of the texture comes off - or no? I'll look at home depot or other hd'we store. I have bio-vines but I do worry about stiff coming off - plus they get pricey. I do like the dowel idea and I can get several diameters. He has a 1' long bird ladder that he sometimes sleeps on :)

thanks for the tips!

Cotton rope... is soft and not treated. Or at least sniff before buying. Also, possibly hemp rope from a natural grocery/supply house. Bleach and sun dry all items... Pet store might have bird climbing things that he could enjoy as well. I use a lot of manzanita. I tier it up and around the side of Fractal's cage like a series of steps to get him not to use the mesh. Hope something in there helps, poor baby. (Think how you would want your surrounding if you were blind and how you would want it to stay that way from then on out. ) My heart really goes out to your chameleon.

I use sash cord for part of his jungle gym but he swings around (upside down) on it. Normally I don't care (fun to watch) but he's having enough trouble that I don;t need to throw him off anymore. I did think about using the bird ladders along the side so he would not use the mesh (he still does occasionally to turn around). Can you post a pic of how you have yours set up?

Never thought to look in the bird section of a store! lol! I will now :)

thanks!

sorry the name of the paint is "make it suede" not satin finnish. no idead where taht came from. no but if you either rpimer of are using hte dowls just rough them up a little with some 120 grit sand paper and it should adheer jsut fine. i did it on bamboo and didn't sand it first and it's starting to some off a little. ya i guess it could be kinda a sand paint, idk wat sand paint is. or krylon has a "make it stone" which has large particles in it but can be a pain to paint cuz the tip slogs frequently.

You have to attach the cotton cord taut across the area you want it.
I've not caught on how to post pictures in this area or I would. I can send a pic regular email if you have one I could send to?
Basically, you're taking 4 or 5 inch manzanita twigs, horizontally and wiring them into the side of the cage, upward in a stairstep visual. Do you have manzanita where you are?

to post a photo, you click reply, under the box where you type in your text, you click on "managa attachments" sometimes if our pic is too big you can not upload it... you need to make it smaller, do this in paint, if you dont know how ask! GL HF!

trying pic post for lele

As you hopefully may see... I got two of the steps in this pic... the rest behind plant. Starting at doorway... I see that I took into consideration, Fractal's size and made the steps as long as he was. I should have thought ahead to the size he will be. He's a foot long now, but my concern is with his body length for comfortable perch at any time. The manzanita pieces I chose, have a natural outward curve to them, giving him room between the wall of the cage and grasping area. Also, I did make his cage a tubular one so this kind of "ramping" upward comes natural. Like a spiral staircase. But it can be done on a regular cage with the bowing of the sticks to allow room to grasp and bask. Hey.. I like that ... grasp'n'bask. lol

Ok... I tried the picture thing and it said it was uploading but it did not come into the frame here. So....... sorry.

Fauna - I sent you a PM with my email - thanks

and thanks to everyone for all the great tips! :D

If I didn't answer you then yes... you spamed. Hey, I wrote a dity about the plastic 1/2" mesh I found at Home Depot today. Do you have one near you? As long as no one poo poos it for any reason, this stuff is GREAT!!! I'm going to have some real fun now! lol

Just wanted to say that using this stuff is really nice and I feel confident if will serve well. Easy to keep clean too. I am going to start makind these cages to sell. I've got a colapsible design that I can easily mail out. This IS fun! :D

just an opinion of mine.. but i wouldnt use paint at all...i have occasionally seen my male panther chams gnawing on branches in thier cages... acryilc = not good

Hey Lele.... the bird ladders are serving me well. I have a myriad of them in Lali's cage because she was born deformed and basically has use of only one good front grasper and one back leg that has been comprimised of late. Some of the bigger wood ladders, I've had to put socks on so she is supported better. I cut the foot off and use the leg part. Maybe some of that will help your guy out too?
Funny to see this old thread back around top. lol. :D

Back
Top Bottom