Unintentional Free Ranging :(

YAY!!

It's almost comical how they get so mad at you when you catch them on their "walkabout". Glad she is okay and safe now. :D

What I really wonder about....

I really wonder what the other Melleri thought as they watched her walk free and then climb over the fan and out of the room.....I've got six of them in that room. Sacha has a cage mate (who also escaped but was found soon afterwards) but the others are caged separately. They can all see each other and they could all watch her leave the room. Did they have a "Hey, Sacha's making a break for it" moment?

I really wonder what the other Melleri thought as they watched her walk free and then climb over the fan and out of the room.....I've got six of them in that room. Sacha has a cage mate (who also escaped but was found soon afterwards) but the others are caged separately. They can all see each other and they could all watch her leave the room. Did they have a "Hey, Sacha's making a break for it" moment?

No.... I think it was more like, "Ooooooohhhh....she's gonnnnaa get in troouuuubble...." :D:D

Same thing with my baby ambilobe. I had her in her temporary cage and she got out some how. I had the doors open in the chameleon lair. i searched everywhere, but couldnt find her. I know shes out in the brush outside in my front yard. I live in the hills, so i know she out there some where. hopefully one day she'll return.

good luck finding your cham.

Wow DirtyBirdy.....

So sorry for you and your escapee. I did find my girl this morning and she was just running loose in the house. Not outside. I hope you do find your girl!

Good luck, I lost (Escaped) one of my Geckos last year, Found her the following day under the fridge, I know totally differant with the floor ceiling thing. I feel for you. Good luck. Sam. X

I second this - make sure you look in every closet. I found one of our meller's one time up in the top corner of a closet sleeping in a pile of sweaters. Another time, this same "escape artist" was clinging to a cord behind a dresser.

Like the other's said, I'm sure it will turn up in the daylight hours. :)

You know, I once had a pygmy escape it's cage, at the time I didn't notice that one of the 4 were missing but I happened to see a little brown leaf on the floor in my bedroom and wow, it moved! He had been hiding in the closet and who knows what made him come out....

Prior Escapes.....

I've had prior escapes of other things too. I had a group of baby panthers get out of their tub once. I did not put the screen lid on tight and the gap was big enough that they got out. I found them all clinging to the outside of my K. Uthmoelleri cage.

I had one juvenile Crested Gecko (I breed them) escape while I was cleaning a juvie cage. It was months ago. I have never found her. One of the cats got her or she went into a vent or some other small gap. I still hope that I find her alive some day. I've got stray crickets in the house and water out for the cats.

I had a Green Basilisk escape and was gone for ten days. I cried for days. One day I saw a couple of cats sitting and staring at a flower arrangement. There was Lily the Basilisk sitting in the arrangement. She was fine. Not dehydrated or starved. I have no idea what she was living on. She found something. I had her for years after that.

LOL Catharine, I can only imagine what the Uthmoelleri was thinking looking at all the babies checking him out.

Glad you found your new guy!

Was watching this thread and am glad you found her. It's amazing how well she must have been hiding last night.

As for escape stories, one of my best friends had his juvie Nile monitor escape in his 2nd story apartment. I forget how long it was gone but something like 6-8 months. Long enough for him to miss having a lizard and for the first SD Reptile Super Show to roll around. He bought a replacement tegu and starting raising it up. One day he woke up and the Nile was on a pile of dirty clothes next to his bed. It was very skinny and dehydrated but bounced back and started growing very quickly.

Oh my gosh!

Oh my gosh! That is one of the most amazing stories I've heard. Did he have any theories as to where it was all that time? This has been an interesting thread with hearing these escape stories. Thanks for that one Kent :)

Glad you found her. Its a horrible feeling to not know where they are. Back when I was a young buck... 10 or so years old..... I had a iguana that jumped from my hands and ran behind the fridge. Dad and I pulled it out to find it chilling about 1" away from a spinning metal fan. we unplugged it immediatly and began to remove metal guards to keep you from sticking your hands in there... that was a scary event. When Vince got loose a few months ago and I found him in the closet I was afraid he had been eaten by one of the cats. Aparently he was looking for a nice pair of slacks.:)

Back
Top Bottom