Unhappy panther

Clubber122

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male ambilobe panther, roughly 15 months old.
Handling - a couple of times a week.
Feeding - large locust, 3 tubs per week.
Supplements - I dust locust before they go in, zoo med reptivite with d3 2 x month, Exo terra calcium with d3 1 x per week, zoo med repti calcium without d3 most feeds and I give an occasional feed with nothing on.
Watering - I spray the entire enclosure for a few minutes, he more often than not starts to drink.
Fecal Description - last I saw was today, white solid urate and brown poo, it looked a little softer than normal and had a bit of a wing in it.
History - no issues.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - exo terra flexarium 100 gallon large 76 x 42 x 122cm with bark substrate
Lighting - 2 x 100watt clear spot bulbs in exo terra domes a few inches above the enclosure, arcadia euro 5.0 T8 uvb tube with reflector inside the enclosure 1 week old. Both lights on for 12 hrs and off for 12 hrs, I also use a heat mat under the enclosure to help the substrate dry out between spraying.
Temperature - basking spot measures 90f, opposite end measures 72f, I havent checked the night time temps for a while it's around 60f, all temps measured with round dial thermometers permanently in the enclosure.
Humidity - between misting humidity is around 60% after misting it sits at 80% measured with a round dial hygrometer.
Plants -a few fake plants and one large rubber plant as the locust ate my ficcus so I'm growing it back!
Placement - enclosure is in the corner of the living room directly on the floor, there is an air vent in the floor next to it which I've taped over recently and also it's wooden floorboards so may be a breeze coming through them.
Location - Stockport, UK.
Current Problem - Hi guys, ever since I moved my panther out of his exo terra glass tank into a larger flexarium he's been fairly dark in colour, he brightens up when I get him out sometimes. I've thought it was something to do with winter as it seems to be during the winter months he's been darker (not black) could anyone shed any light on this? I changed my uvb tube last week as it was due and I thought maybe it was that but he's still looking sad, he eats and drinks as normal and hasn't displayed any worrying behaviour.

e1bc8cbb2a06bda09090f2be88900fdf.jpg

beea5a36c545c7e3bd7775c33fcf25d7.jpg

4bd4684b8d9bf146090a6d35b2365d87.jpg

9f06c2e8fb6875ec88984a1bd8d0f289.jpg

And here is what he is like when he's feeling good

8dcbf0ef12b7dc1701d695acbb8fd971.jpg

Bright, does not always necessarily mean happy. They can be bright when scared, or agitated. I am not saying that is the case here, but just pointing it out. Everyone always associates dark color with sadness. If I could make a suggestion, I would move the cage up off the floor. Chameleons are arboreal and like to be up high. He would probably feel more comfortable looking down at you, in stead of up! Also, how long has he been in the new set up? They are really creatures of habit and sometimes can take awhile to adjust. Also, they can be darker when they are cold. He is a very beatuiful guy btw!

Bright, does not always necessarily mean happy. They can be bright when scared, or agitated. I am not saying that is the case here, but just pointing it out. Everyone always associates dark color with sadness. If I could make a suggestion, I would move the cage up off the floor. Chameleons are arboreal and like to be up high. He would probably feel more comfortable looking down at you, in stead of up! Also, how long has he been in the new set up? They are really creatures of habit and sometimes can take awhile to adjust. Also, they can be darker when they are cold. He is a very beatuiful guy btw!

Thanks for the reply Carol, i cant really get him up off the floor. hes been in the new setup about 6 months now, its obviously a lot more vented than the previous enclosure so i wondered if he was too cold, hence why i have 2 100watt spots in the basking area even with them it just hits 90f, i have wrapped 3 sides and the bottom in plastic sheeting to keep heat and moisture in also when i set it up.

It was just an idea. I have my cages up on tables. By 6 months he should be adjusted. I find when mine are caged they are not as bright either. He looks very healthy, so I would not worry about it too much. When you take him out of the cage, it is probably colder without the lights, so it most likely is not him being dark from being cold. I guess if you wanna see his pretty colors, you are just going to have to let him come out!

I agree with Carol, when i first got my panther i had nowhere to put his cage so i had to put it on the floor between 2 walls, just like yours. After i built a custom cage, i put it on a table, i noticed straight away more activity from him and his color also started to become more vibrant over time.
I guess its intimidating when a giant stares down at you. I would prefer to look down on a giant, i would feel safer.

I'd also agree with Carol. Temps may be playing a roll. My Panthers would tend to be more dark during the winter months when the ambient temps were a lot cooler. During the warmer summer months they were considerably brighter.

~Jon

thanks for the replies folks, im going to move him in to dining room up on a table, he will be able to see the window im not sure if this will be a problem?? what can i do about temps???

2a04047360267be058daf89fca1a688d.jpg

Okay I've moved him, let's see how he responds. Hopefully he will like it better here as it's the kitchen/dining room and it's usually warmer and more humid with no drafts!

Back
Top Bottom