Unfortunate eye issue and tough decision…

If it is an issue which can be treated I would stick with him. Health issues aside he is an excellent looking little dude, and based on the fact he is not fully emaciated and is still displaying plenty of color it seems like he has a great chance of recovering. Also, not to 100% guilt you, consider that if you choose to return him he will likely be tossed in the dumpster. Have you used any animal safe ophthalmic solution to flush his eye yet? And if it is an infection then a vet can irrigate the eye and provide you with a topical solution(medicated drops) to treat it. As long as its not a chronic/congenital issue it shouldn't really be all that difficult to handle

I received a WC Ambanja that was in the process of dying, but instead of returning him or demanding a refund I did everything possible to improve his health. It was difficult, but educational and worth it. You'll discover whether you truly want to keep chameleons the moment you have to break the bank and invest copious amount of time into providing care for them. It can be quite stressful on occasion. They are absolutely not a simple convenience pet, truly nature's mood ring. But the experience can be exceptionally rewarding.
Agreed, but I paid full price for a healthy chameleon. Hopefully their vet is qualified, they kept insisting that he’s specialized in reptiles as well. I can only hope, he’s with them now and they promised to give me a call once they figure out what’s wrong with him. I mean as soon as he’s returned to me I am absolutely gonna take him to this other vet that I found yesterday.

Not all chams from Petco and Petsmart are unhealthy. It depends on how long they have had them in the store as well. I have bought two Veileds from there in perfect health without any parasites. It is all about knowing your risks... And knowing how a healthy cham presents. If you buy one with eye issues then you get eye issues. If it looks underweight and sickly then that is what you are buying. I would buy from Petco before I would ever go near LLL reptiles.
I got a petco cham to. Just need to knw what to look for.
I'd still worry about genetics. My first cham died because of issues relating to bad genetics

Go talk to manager. Shouldn't of paid full price. One I live by once they goto back room they mark down once they come back to floor for sale again. You would think they all do it. One by me now has female missing part of tail 50 percent off. Also one by me gets chams like every two months and before new ones come in they mark down

They won't do that. They will take and treat them self and give back when better or refund meaning what they say is better.
TBF I used to work at a PetSmart years ago and despite the inadequate enclosures for the reptiles, specially chameleons. When we had a sick hamster or Guinea pig or bearded dragon we would take them to an exotic animal vet and they would charge crazy fees and the store would still pay. I remember we once had a Guinea pig with ringworm and he kept getting sick, was in the back for nearly 3 months until he was finally healthy enough to be adopted out. And I mean it’s crazy the amount of fees that a simple vet visit would cost for a little $20 - $40 critter.

I'd still worry about genetics. My first cham died because of issues relating to bad genetics
My first and previous cham was a Jackson and he died within a week of purchasing him from a reptile expo 4 years ago. I should have known not to purchase him, he was around 3 months and the seller had at least 15 chameleons in a single small cage on the sales floor. His name was Harambe 🥲

My first and previous cham was a Jackson and he died within a week of purchasing him from a reptile expo 4 years ago. I should have known not to purchase him, he was around 3 months and the seller had at least 15 chameleons in a single small cage on the sales floor. His name was Harambe 🥲
I'm sorry!

Go talk to manager. Shouldn't of paid full price. One I live by once they goto back room they mark down once they come back to floor for sale again. You would think they all do it. One by me now has female missing part of tail 50 percent off. Also one by me gets chams like every two months and before new ones come in they mark down
Yup yup I’m gonna bring that up next time they call me. I was gonna do it the first time but was embarrassed lol

That’s a thing I’m also afraid of, especially with panthers. My girl lately died, all the sudden without any obvious indications, and she was from a reptile zoo. Therefore, could she be the offspring of inbreed, what would be really assumable in a zoo and caused this a health issue due bad genetics. The answers I’ll never get, but keeps you thinking.

I dunno... I have had good experiences and bad experiences. I really think anything is a possibility and knowing what to look for and having a vet you can lean on is important. I was told that Beman would live a short life due to being a petco cham and bad genetics. He turned 4 years old this month and is still strong and thriving. I just think it is a game of chance no matter what.

That’s a thing I’m also afraid of, especially with panthers. My girl lately died, all the sudden without any obvious indications, and she was from a reptile zoo. Therefore, could she be the offspring of inbreed, what would be really assumable in a zoo and caused this a health issue due bad genetics. The answers I’ll never get, but keeps you thinking.
Yeah, my first one died at two and a half years old from kidney gout and cancer caused by bad genetics (my cham vet did tons of tests and a necropsy on him to make sure)

So I bought this little guy from Petco, I know it’s a bad idea, but he’s a total sweetheart. They had him in the back due to “eye irritation” issues. Told me he got looked at by a vet that also does reptiles. He got better and I purchased him. Everyone in the store loved the little guy.

Welp cut to 4 days later he’s not better. He keeps flushing his right eye and closing it and it’s not as open or bright as his other eye. He’s so tame though, he doesn’t mind being held and on my 3rd day of having him, handling him for the first time, as I was putting him back in his cage he ate a cricket while riding my hand!
Also earlier today as I was holding him he scratched his eye on my hand.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - It’s a male panther chameleon and I’m guessing 4-5 months
  • Handling - twice, one time yesterday for 3 min and today for less than 5 min.
  • Feeding - Crickets dusted with cal, mealworms (once), wax worms (have fed him twice). Ordered a ton of bugs which should arrive tomorrow lol
  • Supplements - repcal without D3 and reptivite with D3. And repashy bug burgers.
  • Watering - misting him 8 am, 3 pm, and 8 pm for 3 min each. A dripper running in afternoon.
  • Fecal Description - hasn’t been tested for parasites, had a bit of orange when I first got him. All better last time had more white and less orange and was covered in a little film.
  • History - Keeps flushing his right eye (moving is back and forth and swirling it around), closes it and had a little tear coming out of it. And idk if it’s all chameleons but he’s super slow and moves back and forth before doing anything.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - xl deluxe reptibreeze with corrugated plastic covering sides with a gap at the top to help ventilation
  • Lighting - Arcadia 6% T5 w/ vivarium hood. Also using regular incandescent bulb for heating and sansi 15 watt plant light on for only 5 hours a day.
  • Temperature - basking area is around 88 - 90 and bottom of the cage is usually around 74 - 78
  • Humidity - usually easily around 50% during the day and at night 70%. Have a fogger but haven’t have had the time to set it up correctly.
  • Plants - pothos plant and a cane plant and some silk plants
  • Placement - it’s in the corner of living room, it’s quiet we don’t really watch TV, next to a window and off to the side of a vent and the top is probably around 7 ft.
  • Location - north east USA
Did you find out what was wrong with his eye? Did it get better?

Hey, just an update. I ended up getting him back the day after I threw out all the bugs I had bought last time lol. They looked after him for about 9 days, they never really figured out what the issue was. Since I’ve had him he has shown 0 eye issues. Every now and then very rarely he flushes his eye which isn’t that often and he seems fine. Both eyes look clear.

Btw my nephew and niece named him Camilo 🤷‍♂️
Ended up putting him in a plant for a few hours yesterday while I sanitized his cage and redid some vines and repotted his plants after a gnat infestation.

Will take him to the vet some time in the next week or 2 for a “physical” lol. Very happy I kept him, he’s a gentleman. 4E448717-D036-41AA-ABB2-1BC82CFCA0CF.jpeg His little home, while I cleaned the cage 1D9BFB77-D7CA-4DC0-BACF-E859E8F97CFD.jpeg

Good you took Camilo back and that his eye issue is solved so far. Probably, a eye flushing thing and good you him to the vet for a check up. I wish you all the best time together 👌🏻

Back
Top Bottom