Underrated chameleons?

boosh96

In your opinion, what's the most underrated chameleon species and why do you think that is? I'd have to say the senegalensis complex has to be the most underrated group of chameleons-I've heard they're sometimes regarded as a 'throwaway' species.

I think veileds are the most underrated chameleon. People do not have a high value of them and they deserve way more respect than they are given. They are gorgeous and sweet. They show the most personality of all the chams that I have ever been around. They are way over breed and often sold for $20 and many get into the hands of inexperienced keepers and allot die a slow painful death. It saddens me so because they are one of my favorite species.

Last edited:
I think veileds are the most underrated chameleon. They are gorgeous and sweet.

Totally agree! It belongs to the story that I've only had veiled (the one I have is my first one) but I like them the most from all the species. Wonderful creatures!
And from what I can see, I think Jannb is right: unfortunately people think veileds are the bottom of the ladder. And I have no idea why....

They are sweet? That's funny.. My experience could not be more opposite. I've had two male veiled chams and both hated my existence. I almost gave up on chameleons but decided to try a panther. I look back and can only think of how happy I am that I didn't give up. I own a bunch of panthers and have never had one try to bite me, not even a full sized male wild caught male tamatave. I am however jealous of owners who have the unicorn “friendly male veiled chameleon”.

IMO female panthers are the most underrated. I've seen some stunner females lately and I've never met a female panther that hates me.

Jason

I think veileds are the most underrated chameleon. They are gorgeous and sweet. They show the most personality of all the chams that I have ever been around. They are way over breed and often sold for $20 and many get into the hands of inexperienced keepers and allot die a slow painful death. It saddens me so because they are one of my favorite species.

They are sweet? That's funny.. My experience could not be more opposite. I've had two male veiled chams and both hated my existence. I almost gave up on chameleons but decided to try a panther. I look back and can only think of how happy I am that I didn't give up. I own a bunch of panthers and have never had one try to bite me, not even a full sized male wild caught male tamatave. I am however jealous of owners who have the unicorn “friendly male veiled chameleon”.

IMO female panthers are the most underrated. I've seen some stunner females lately and I've never met a female panther that hates me.

Jason

Jason, I really think it depends on how you keep your veileds. They can become cage aggressive. I have never used cages and I'm very hands on with mine. I've had five veileds and every one of them had a different personality but they have all been very friendly and sweet.

I still like the way veileds look- it was magic when I got my first veileds.
The book "masters of disguise" has some super pics that really show off how unique they are.

But I don't think they are underrated- they are super-popular and can be found in most pet stores nowadays. Panthers too- I don't see how popular and commonly bred species could be called underrated unless you are referring to a specific color morph.

I think I'd have to go with oustalets for most underrated.

They don't have the flashy colors, but they do have incredible texture and scalation. In person they are gorgeous if you appreciate artistic subtlety and not simply loud splashes of color. The details make them really fantastic in appearance. They look like a fantasy beast should look with rough textures, spines, etc.

They are also really hardy and get really big and tend to have really great personalities to go with the package.

I think "hardiness" goes into the under-rated aspect. These guys really are about the same hardiness level as a panther or veiled.

I'm going to have to go with F. verrucosus. I owned 1.3 several years back. The male was absolutely gorgeous. He had a grayish back, with the white dots down the side, and bright green ventral region. It is hard to pick a favorite out of all the chameleons I owned, but he is right up there. As for the females, one was a solid pink color, and one was a solid turquoise blue. They were all amazing. Everyone who witnessed them was in ahh of them.

As far as hardiness, since I have only had four, it is hard to say for sure, but I would also put them right there with panthers. Truly an amazing, and extremely underrated species.

Although, I consider all species underrated, except veileds and panthers.

I don't know that veileds are underrated, but they are undervalued quite often. I cringe any time I see a reply to "what species should I start with?" that goes something like "start with a veiled, they're hardy and a lot cheaper than a panther, so if you make any beginner mistakes and kill it you're only out $40." It's such a distasteful reason to me.

I'm probably with Rshewfel, everything else is underrated besides male veileds, panthers, and Parson's (which have been completely glorified among the masses.) But you can't help what people like or don't like. I can't say that I'm all that attracted to Oustalets either, for example, even though I've helped raise up a few dozen Florida WC babies and have gotten to see the species up close. They just don't speak to me, not like Meller's do, for example. I know other people that think Meller's are ugly as sin, however! So people just like what they like.

I don't see how vields are underrated? Every other thread his about a vield lol

IMO any of the species without any big bright colors are underrated like pygmy's and much of the African species. I'd really like to work with a quad or mellers in the future

I'll have to side with the senegals being super underrated - they're so engaging and sweet. With their smaller size, they're less demanding in overall needed cage space, and their colors are more subtle and simple, but still pretty.

I'm also a pretty big fan of flap necks, but like senegals, they're rarely kept or worked with beyond a first 'cheap' chameleon.

-Jen

Totally agree! It belongs to the story that I've only had veiled (the one I have is my first one) but I like them the most from all the species. Wonderful creatures!
And from what I can see, I think Jannb is right: unfortunately people think veileds are the bottom of the ladder. And I have no idea why....

I think the reason we tend to under rate veileds is because they are so well established in the trade these days. What was once rare and novel is now considered sort of ordinary because of successful mass production. Years ago if you saw a cham in a pet shop it tended to be a doomed imported Senegal, graceful, occasional flapneck or jax, but now they have cbb veileds. Believe me, when veileds were first bred in the US they were certainly NOT under rated! I think I paid $150 for my first one (a 3 month old juvie) back around 1990. He grew to be huge, beautifully colored, high perfect casque, and feisty. No signs of casual careless breeding there!

Flapnecks for sure- Clifford is my favorite of my 3 and she knows it - she hates me almost as much as my panther - but I still think she's the sweetest thing.
I'm not getting any more anytime soon but any new ones will be either a graceful a senegal or another flapneck.

I'd say rudis (trioceros sternfeldi) chams, my pair are great! They love coming out of their enclosure and love to ride on my shoulder! One does some awesome red tones and the other does nice patterns on a green body, they're only 10 weeks old so I can only imagine the colors they'll do once they're full grown!

I love elliot's chameleons. I guess they're a "rare" species because I see them rarely on here (at least the fact that not many have them).

:) Just that there aren't many conversations/information on them

ug6_5245a.JPG

I think veileds are the most underrated chameleon. People do not have a high value of them and they deserve way more respect than they are given. They are gorgeous and sweet. They show the most personality of all the chams that I have ever been around. They are way over breed and often sold for $20 and many get into the hands of inexperienced keepers and allot die a slow painful death. It saddens me so because they are one of my favorite species.
Until I saw your veiled Jann, I didn't know how beautiful they really were.
One assumes because they are inexpensive that they must be inferior.
Just not true.

I think pet store should have to require that the proper habitat and equipment be sold with the animal. This would get rid of the morons that think you can take a cham home and put it in your old 10 gallon fish tank you had in the garage with sand in the bottom. Giets me sooooooo mad.

I'm going to have to go with F. verrucosus.
Although, I consider all species underrated, except veileds and panthers.
I have a pair of f. verucosus and I think they're very underrated, my favorite chameleon I've owned so far. They can be a bit feisty at times but i still enjoy them!

Back
Top Bottom