Unboxing and arrival how-to?

Arpretty

Avid Member
The time is nearing when my new baby will arrive!!! Seriously feels like I've been "nesting" but for a scale baby....anyway, first time getting a juvenile and first time getting a chameleon shipped. I have (just about) everything all set up. I was wondering if anyone would like to chime in to share what they do or what is best practice on unboxing day and the next couple of days.

I assume the lights and misting schedule would not be different for the first few days?
I've seen where people place the container the chameleon arrives in on the bottom of their cage with access to climb directly out on their own. Is this ok?
I've read that people will leave a curtain over the front of the cage for the first 1-2 days so the cham doesn't see all the activity going on around him/her and only check-in to feed and, well...check in. Thoughts??
Feeding and water access upon arrival...should feeders and water be readily accessible when the chameleon is first placed in the cage?
Anything else to note??

You get them out and put them straight into the enclosure. Mist so there is water because they are typically very thirsty. Give feeders and walk away. Try not to sit and stalk the baby. First few days check in on it and let it acclimate over the next week.
Then everything is set on normal schedule from feeding, lighting, to hydration. No need to cover the cage. Just let baby get used to the new home and where everything is.

Yup. That's about it. Open it in/near the "treetops". They know what to do. ;)

Hehe yes I am trying to remind myself they aren't nearly as helpless as a human babies!!

So am I good to have all my timers set? Naturalistic hydration cycle too?
OR do exactly what the breeder's schedule was for the first week? They provided me with their schedule for misting and lights, which is different from what I will be doing.

Maybe start with theirs until it's over relocation stress, then slowly transition to yours.
How fast depends on how different they are. Just use common sense. ;)

You get them out and put them straight into the enclosure. Mist so there is water because they are typically very thirsty. Give feeders and walk away. Try not to sit and stalk the baby. First few days check in on it and let it acclimate over the next week.
Then everything is set on normal schedule from feeding, lighting, to hydration. No need to cover the cage. Just let baby get used to the new home and where everything is.
Thank you!!! Sounds good to me. Will be hard not to stalk lol, but I’ll behave.

Back
Top Bottom