Umbrella plant losing leaves like crazy on back side (schefflera arboricola)

I've seen no ill effects from these, only something I wasn't really expecting to happen. Both my veiled and panthers have actually abandoned their basking lights to bask under these instead.

Thanks for taking the time to help

IMG_20181103_175158.jpg

IMG_20181211_213136.jpg

IMG_20181211_213214.jpg

IMG_20181211_213157.jpg

In my album I have pics of my cage, along with a simple pvc light rack I made to hold clamp lights at the proper level to get the right temps. On one of my cages I have a linear t5 Arcadia 6% plus 2 led pool bulbs. I rarely use a heat bulb. On my other cage I have a dual linear Arcadia uvb t5 6% with a 6500k plant bulb + 1 led plant bulb. Both cages are heavily planted, including bromeliads, hibiscus, gardenia, honeysuckle, and some low light plants. The broms are growing like crazy & the other high light plants: things that flower, are looking great too!

It's spectrum is considered plant bulb yes. I have 3 of the 6500k and 1 3500k currently in use. It's not so much the heat is an issue as much as, purely in my experience with them and not a recommendation, my chams like to bask under them. Totally doable and I don't discourage them from doing so. I actually pulled my heat bulbs off entirely on the cages that have them because they weren't being used. I tracked this with them before doing so in case my days spent watching this occur were flukes.

The way I see it, if a 40w (actual wall watts) dumps enough light to keep a hibiscus alive and well and gives the cham something they prefer to bask under who am I to tell them they are wrong lol. Saves some on the power bill too.

It's spectrum is considered plant bulb yes. I have 3 of the 6500k and 1 3500k currently in use. It's not so much the heat is an issue as much as, purely in my experience with them and not a recommendation, my chams like to bask under them. Totally doable and I don't discourage them from doing so. I actually pulled my heat bulbs off entirely on the cages that have them because they weren't being used. I tracked this with them before doing so in case my days spent watching this occur were flukes.

The way I see it, if a 40w (actual wall watts) dumps enough light to keep a hibiscus alive and well and gives the cham something they prefer to bask under who am I to tell them they are wrong lol. Saves some on the power bill too.
Perfect, thank you for the input! Placing my order now

The light came in and man is it bright. Do you guys suggest placing it up top, or would aiming it at the lower back bare area of the plant make it regenerate faster? I notice a very faint flicker, I am wondering if it is because I have it on a clamp lamp that has a dimmer attached (yes, it is set to full power).

The light came in and man is it bright. Do you guys suggest placing it up top, or would aiming it at the lower back bare area of the plant make it regenerate faster? I notice a very faint flicker, I am wondering if it is because I have it on a clamp lamp that has a dimmer attached (yes, it is set to full power).

I suppose that is possible, if I recall correctly it's not dimmer compatible. None of my four have flickering visible with the naked eye at all in domes with no dimmer attached. I would just set it up top aiming at the plant in general. It should start to repair itself with new leaves sprouting off.

I suppose that is possible, if I recall correctly it's not dimmer compatible. None of my four have flickering visible with the naked eye at all in domes with no dimmer attached. I would just set it up top aiming at the plant in general. It should start to repair itself with new leaves sprouting off.
There's just a lot of stuff in the way. Replacing my basking light (see above pic) with this, it would not hit this back area at all. If I put this bulb where my T5 is, some light will get back there but not a ton.

I was thinking of mounting this aiming directly at my problem area.. or is this not how plants work, and aiming it anywhere on the plant will make it sprout leaves everywhere/

There's just a lot of stuff in the way. Replacing my basking light (see above pic) with this, it would not hit this back area at all. If I put this bulb where my T5 is, some light will get back there but not a ton.

I was thinking of mounting this aiming directly at my problem area.. or is this not how plants work, and aiming it anywhere on the plant will make it sprout leaves everywhere/

As long as it's not placed on the side of the cage, put where ever you need to to hit the most of the plants surface as possible. I try to aim for getting light to the plants base and as much of the leaves as possible.

I am trying to focus on this area. Here is where his bedroom used to be, but since all of the leaves are gone, he is now finding other places to sleep. Will shining light on the opposite side (that still has all leaves) help with storing this area? Or should I focus light on where leaves were lost/ Any suggestions is appreciated

IMG_20181213_204332.jpg

If you can get light to that area short answer, yes it will help. Plants, generally speaking grow towards the light and and normally put more effort to make new leaves grow towards the light. It's kind of like pulling a bush that's been growing against a house away from the wall. Front side may be so thick you can't see through it while the back side is void of anything but branches growing up to the leafy canopy. What I would do is aim towards the back for now. Then as it fills back in try to shift things so it's more over the top as much as possible.

Another option is to turn the plant where the "good" side is towards the back & the "bad" side is towards the front. Then position the light where it is covering as much of the plant as possible, preferably from the top. Every few weeks turn the plant a quarter turn so all sides get equal light.

Thanks, Ill think I'll do that. I might allow the bad area to have 2 weeks of light while giving the healthy areas 1 week, until the bad area starts showing some growth.

I do plan on planting a clipping. I have rooting hormone for some hydroponic growing that I used to do.

This new light is pretty neat, it is super bright! Directly under the bulb where his basking branch is gets up to over 100F so I need to build something to elevate the light. He does seem to like it though, he has been much more active in his cage, I'm not sure if it's because something has changed, or because of the additional light. It looks like he is feeling it out as his new basking light (his basking spot is in the corner with the household bulb).

IMG_20181215_123055.jpg
IMG_20181215_125442.jpg

I noticed he is also going down to the lower areas of his cage which I've rarely seen him do. Maybe this is because light is now reaching the lower areas. This is good because when his mister is on, water droplets come down like crazy which will hopefully entice him to drink more.
IMG_20181215_130945.jpg

I do plan on planting a clipping. I have rooting hormone for some hydroponic growing that I used to do.

This new light is pretty neat, it is super bright! Directly under the bulb where his basking branch is gets up to over 100F so I need to build something to elevate the light. He does seem to like it though, he has been much more active in his cage, I'm not sure if it's because something has changed, or because of the additional light. It looks like he is feeling it out as his new basking light (his basking spot is in the corner with the household bulb).

View attachment 219458 View attachment 219459

I noticed he is also going down to the lower areas of his cage which I've rarely seen him do. Maybe this is because light is now reaching the lower areas. This is good because when his mister is on, water droplets come down like crazy which will hopefully entice him to drink more.
View attachment 219460

What's the distance from the bottom of the bulb to the branch? Room ambients too if you don't mind.

What's the distance from the bottom of the bulb to the branch? Room ambients too if you don't mind.
Around 7", I have the bulb placed now in a location that he cannot get directly under it until I figure something out. My room is ~70F

Around 7", I have the bulb placed now in a location that he cannot get directly under it until I figure something out. My room is ~70F

Interesting, I'm at 91.4 at roughly the same height (measured off Lola's casque) and 81.4 with 10" between bulb and branch at 70° ambient.

He has become extremely active since putting this light in, he is all over his enclosure now where he would previously only hang out in the upper area, primarily in his basking area. He is also staying up later; he would previously be in bed by 6:30-7PM, and now he is awake until the lights go out at 11pm. I also see him drinking a lot more, I am guessing he was not able to see water droplets as easily prior to putting in this light. I guess my T5 & household 60w bulb were not providing enough light for him.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom