UltraClear® Low iron glass (lets UV pass through the glass)

eat2muchrice

Avid Member
Found this ad and thought it was interesting, don't know how well it works and too lazy to do more research. Someone here might find it useful.

Unlike most glass, this low iron glass lets Ultraviolet (UV) rays through and is super clear. Great for pets that need UV (most reptiles and amphibians benefit from UV: turtle (land & water), tortoise, bearded dragon, iguana, chameleon, gecko, lizard, snakes, etc.). Ideal for when you want your UV light to transmit into your tank, but don’t want to use wire mesh over that part of the enclosure (below the light).

Glass.PNG

Found this ad and thought it was interesting, don't know how well it works and too lazy to do more research. Someone here might find it useful.

Unlike most glass, this low iron glass lets Ultraviolet (UV) rays through and is super clear. Great for pets that need UV (most reptiles and amphibians benefit from UV: turtle (land & water), tortoise, bearded dragon, iguana, chameleon, gecko, lizard, snakes, etc.). Ideal for when you want your UV light to transmit into your tank, but don’t want to use wire mesh over that part of the enclosure (below the light).

View attachment 280542
This maybe helpful in homemade enclosures to keep the little screen climbers off the top?

I'm guessing it comes with a fairly hefty price tag too(?)

I've always considered the non-transmission of UV a boon rather than a hindrance, but I suppose Ramrod has a point. My beardie enclosure is all wood (baltic birch & sealed clear pine) except for the ¼" plate glass doors, which I figured keep the UV from harming the eyes of us gawkers. ;) :)

Gonna have to wear UV-filtering sunglasses when getting too close to the cham enclosure (though I've been thinking about replacing the screened doors with polycarbonate or similar).

Ive been looking at options for my greenhouse. Starfire glass and Solacryl are popular but there’s a very specific range of UVB that needs to pass through (to benefit the animals), so you have to ensure that range vs just “uv passthrough.”

Solacryl is what I’ll be going with. Starfire is very clear glass (no green tint) and more readily available - I’m not sure the specifics for its uv passthru, but Solacryl is popular with zoos.

Do they still use fiberglass in greenhouses? In the mid-70s there was a fiberglass-like material used in greenhouses and solar (HW) panels. I don't recall the name, but it was translucent (whitish or greenish, IIRC) and had better transmissive and insular properties than glass or plastics.

When they made Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, that was a pretty good gag.
But it (like some other things from ST & Sci-Fi in general) has actually come to pass; it's called ALON.

You just had to go and crush my funny huh? :LOL:
Wasn't my intention. Lifelong SF apprecionado [sic] & nerd, so fascinated by this kind of stuff.
TBH, I never thought I'd actually see something like transparent aluminum in my lifetime (though I had no doubts that someday...) ?

Really didn't mean to burst any balloons. ?‍♂️

Did you know that there's also transparent wood? ?

Wasn't my intention. Lifelong SF apprecionado [sic] & nerd, so fascinated by this kind of stuff.
TBH, I never thought I'd actually see something like transparent aluminum in my lifetime (though I had no doubts that someday...) ?

Really didn't mean to burst any balloons. ?‍♂️
LOL. I'm just giving you a hard time. Me too. I truly believe if it wasn't for Star Trek we wouldn't have a lot of the tech we have today. You're alright Klyde O'scope. :) ;)

Back
Top Bottom