The Winterization of My GOC

looks great! i wish i had the weather that you have in FL. i'd have one of these GOC's too. so jealous.

That's what I want :)

How low do you allow temperatures to get at night?

when using the heaters i’ll keep everything in the low to mid-60’s. our nights are a little weird. it gets cooler and cooler but rather than starting to slowly begin to warm up around 4-5 AM like it would in NY, the coldest time here will be more around 7 AM until the sun hits the area and then it jumps up very quickly. i will use the heat if it looks like it’s going to go lower than 57-58 in those last hours. otherwise i won’t and have not had a single respiratory or other health issue.

AH!!!! This guy is too good at chameleons! It is driving me crazy with jealousy. Everything looks awesome. Nothing can beat the real sun when it comes to reptile health and you have capitalized on that.

Looks awesome! Wish I could do that, but no chance in PA. What are the little green bowl things on top? It looks like you have tubing going into them. Drippers?

Looks awesome! Wish I could do that, but no chance in PA. What are the little green bowl things on top? It looks like you have tubing going into them. Drippers?

you need to click the link right at the vey beginning and it’s all in the construction photos and detail.

AH!!!! This guy is too good at chameleons! It is driving me crazy with jealousy. Everything looks awesome. Nothing can beat the real sun when it comes to reptile health and you have capitalized on that.

thanks! back when i first started with the Forum i had posted a little intro of who i am. i did move here from NY specifically with panther and carpet breeding as my priority. so it’s not coincidence!

Hey fellow GOC'er. Great post and thanks for sharing what you're doing and learning. I totally get the "I should have gone bigger" thing. I wish I had more space to expand. I like those tarps, I may have to give them a try. I really need to keep some chameleons in my GOC during the winter and I think those would work.

I curious as to what type of remote thermostat you're using. I need one but haven't found one that fits the bill.

thanks! back when i first started with the Forum i had posted a little intro of who i am. i did move here from NY specifically with panther and carpet breeding as my priority. so it’s not coincidence!

Yeah there is no place better than Florida when it comes to breeding (In America anyways- unless you count Hawaii I guess). It is nice to see that you provide the extra needed heat. It appears many people who live in Florida just hope their chameleons can tough out the cold months.

I curious as to what type of remote thermostat you're using. I need one but haven't found one that fits the bill.

I may have mistyped, but it's just a remote thermometer, not a thermostat. Just for peace of mind but also to let me know if I'm about to lose a propane tank. Would like to find one with an audible alarm at a cutoff point though so maybe I can sleep and only be woken if there's an issue.

The infrareds do have dial controls on them, so if you take the time to learn their peculiarities they may be able to keep a set temp. going in a milder weather situation. But propane is all manual!

Yeah there is no place better than Florida when it comes to breeding (In America anyways- unless you count Hawaii I guess). It is nice to see that you provide the extra needed heat. It appears many people who live in Florida just hope their chameleons can tough out the cold months.

Weather in FL is more variable than many realize. North will very often have freezes, I'm in a more temperate zone (and did live here for 3 years 15 years ago), and south is hot! Too hot most of the year for a major outdoor enclosure, but mostly comfortable winters for the average panther. So that's why I came back here for the best of all worlds for them. I do believe Jim Flaherty is inland but pretty much in a similar zone as I am, so I would think he might agree with a lot of my thoughts.

If you're gonna do it, do it right!! As a vet and herp lover it's just not even a debate for me! :)

I meant thermometer.:)

The people make a temperature monitoring device that can be hooked up to an external alarm.
http://www.winland.com/tempalert.html

Wow, thanks!! That is my other issue, not having any electricity out there thus the 12g extension cords. Looks like these may fit the bill!

The thermometer that I bought is just one of the digital uber-basic Accurite remote weather systems that are all over. I have a huge data one for normal use, but the new one went in the enclosure.

Fwiw, these were MUCH better watertight connectors than the first brand i tried.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004BA756C/ref=ya_aw_oh_pit

And bought this "instant" ambient thermometer/hygrometer for some vet housecalls and have been very pleased.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005Y29JZQ/ref=ya_aw_oh_pit

Don't wanna buy from the wrong Manufacturer

Wondering which tarp exactly you found to let in the UVB light?? Did some hunting...

Maybe http://www.tarpsplus.com/clear-poly-tarps-singles.html

And, I was born in Deland FL...next to Daytona Bch. Wondering which part of E.C FL you're in.

Also, I have an uncle down in West Palm Beach... out in the Acreage...and I am considering a GOC down there. Whats your opinion on being that far south?

Wondering which tarp exactly you found to let in the UVB light?? Did some hunting...

Maybe http://www.tarpsplus.com/clear-poly-tarps-singles.html

And, I was born in Deland FL...next to Daytona Bch. Wondering which part of E.C FL you're in.

Also, I have an uncle down in West Palm Beach... out in the Acreage...and I am considering a GOC down there. Whats your opinion on being that far south?

i have already listed the page where i bought the tarps on post #14. i could not begin to tell you whether any other brand will work since these weren’t supposed to!!

I’m in Melbourne, and i did live in Jupiter for a few years, the town north of WPB and the Acreage. i think it’s too hot down there during most of the summers. you would have an easier winter than i do, but it’s easier to heat an outdoor enclosure than it is too cool one down, and when you have constant 90-100°+ weather for months on end (nevermind nights in the mid 80’s) during the eight month summer i think most chams will be pretty stressed by that.

as i’ve mentioned in many posts before, due to the location of the Gulf Stream, 75 miles south of here is a completely different weather system, much hotter and humid year-round. it’s the reason i came back here to breed. (besides being tired of south FL ‘tudes)

Back
Top Bottom